"Redundancy" is a Red Herring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
    Biyumbo is not the seven footer we need, but watch the hoops summit and he may be better. Crazy rim protection from a guy who looks like he will be able to guard anyone someday. I want him. BC, get another pick or trade down, or just take him at your spot (providing it is not the one or two). He may not look like the big man we need, but that is only going to be during the warm up. He needs many of the basic skills. Get him, teach him, wait a year or two on him, and he will be a serious piece of a dominant team.
    you have a right to post whatever you want in any thread, so my only response to this seemingly random and unrelated post is to thank you for selecting mean as your forum.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

not going to lie. I'm secretly hoping jeff will come back to argue w/ me some more.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I agree that talent is more important than filling roles. Role players are interchangeable. If you take the 9 best players on any team and exchange them for the 9 non-SuperFriends on the Miami Heat, what difference would it make? None. The Heat would still be where they are right now.
        A goodly number of Miami's benchwarmers and even its rotation players might not be in the league right now if they weren't playing for the Heat. That intellectual exercise by itself is a fairly big indictment of the idea that a team's rotation players and benchwarmers really matter.
        The singular thing a team needs, far more than coaching or role players, or a good training staff, is as many top 15 players as it can possibly get. And a team should move heaven and earth, draft picks and whatever else, to get them.

Comment

not sure I agree with your line of thinking Brandon, but it is an interesting pov. Is Ray Allen a top 15 guy? What about Pau Gasol or Lomar Odom or Andrew Bynum or Ron Artest. I don't think any of those players qualify as top 15 guys (although are definitely VERY good players) and Lakers did win 2 championships with that team. I'd like to hear an expanded argument with more research.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            you have a right to post whatever you want in any thread, so my only response to this seemingly random and unrelated post is to thank you for selecting mean as your forum.
            Thanks for not flaming me. I was referring to an idea, perhaps in my own head, that Biyumbo would be seen as a "redundancy" too similar to Davis and Johnson (and Johnson). I was suggesting that his similar profile should not eliminate him as a potential pick. I just think he is going to be successful and would be a good choice for the Raps.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              not sure I agree with your line of thinking Brandon, but it is an interesting pov. Is Ray Allen a top 15 guy? What about Pau Gasol or Lomar Odom or Andrew Bynum or Ron Artest. I don't think any of those players qualify as top 15 guys (although are definitely VERY good players) and Lakers did win 2 championships with that team. I'd like to hear an expanded argument with more research.
              I think at any given time, there are around 50 guys capable of being in that top 15 group. Ray Allen was, at one time, in that group. Certainly Gasol and Bynum are. Gasol had a terrible playoff run due to personal problems, but he's the top post scorer in the league. Odom and Artest have been in that group in the past but I think particularly in Artest's case they're not now. As far as redundancy goes, the Lakers knew when they traded for Gasol that he'd be playing the 4 a lot because of Bynum. They went to 3 straight finals with that group. I do think that obviously you want players to fit in well with each other, so collecting a team full of 6'6 shooting guards, no matter how great they are, wouldn't be a good idea, but on the other hand, shouldn't the Blazers have drafted Jordan instead of Bowie and then moved Drex to the 3? (Yes, they could also have drafted Barkley instead of Bowie and put him at the 4)

Comment

Working...
              X