Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO WAY - No RUDY GAY

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This whole desire to get Gay smacks of "the grass is greener on the other side". Again Matt, a lot of my comparing to Bargs has to do with underachieving, and that Gay is just about as much a headache in Memphis as Bargs is here. I think Chisholm is right, and that it wouldn't take much or be long before fans find reasons to turn on Gay. Again, Gay is not nearly the player VC was in his prime, and he's much more indifferent. He'll frustrate the hell out of people and likely isn't good enough to be worth it.
    +1

Finally someone with some common sense! If this were a possibility 2 years ago i probably would've said yes. NOW?? No way!!!!

I think many of the posters here are crazy - yearly losing has cost you to lose your mind! I would not touch Rudy Gay right now..... Let Memphis pay the luxury tax for all i care!

Some of you posters (Matt52 included) are saying to possibly give up Demar + a pick + Calderon and/or Davis for Gay??? LMFAO --- You guys are kidding right???

We do not need to make this trade.... this is a lateral move at best. Please use Calderon, Derozan, Davis + pick for an ALL-STAR. Why didnt we try to get Harden with this package?????

Whats the similarity between Bargs and Gay some ask?? They're both OVERVALUED by their franchises!! They both average around the same amount of ppg when healthy. I would only consider swapping Gay and Bargs + Calderon's expiring + Second rounder *and to be honest I dont really see the fit with Gay and Demar, but i'd be willing to try it out*

If Memphis can ask this much for a guy who makes as much or more than Lebron/Wade/Bosh (without the all-star status and reliability).......I think we should be able to get rid of Andrea for something decent. The only players i would be willing to give up at some discount would be Andrea and Kleiza. That is all.

P.s. I would really be willing to take a flyer on Derrick Williams + pick (anyone) for Bargnani --- Make it happen BC

Comment

The one thing to remember, is that any Rudy Gay trade shouldn't be considered in a vacuum. I could actually see the Raptors making several trades heading into the deadline, which could significantly reshape this team for next season and beyond.

I still think Valanciunas and possibly Ross are the closest thing this team has to 'untouchable' players.

Calderon
      - I love him, but he's a 31 year old on an expiring contract. It would be a crazy waste of an asset NOT to trade him. Toronto could even look to re-sign him in the offseason.

Anderson
      - He's been playing great, but he's a 30 year old journeyman on rebuilding team that's stacked with young wing players. Similar to Calderon, it would be a crazy waste of an asset NOT to trade him at the peak of his value, considering that he's not in the team's long-term plans.
      - Lucas is another veteran bench scorer who could be dealt for a 2nd round pick at the deadline.

Bargnani/Davis/Amir
      - We've said for nearly 2 years that one of them needs to go.
      - Although I've supported Bargnani in the past, I have never been opposed to trading him either.
      - If Davis were included in a deal for Gay, I don't think that necessarily means that Bargnani is here to stay; he could be dealt in another trade at the deadline or in the offseason.
      - I could easily envision a free agent signed to be the starting PF next season, with Amir as the only holdover at backup PF.

DeRozan
      - He has definitely improved, but I still don't think he's ever going to be a true #1 scorer (I think he'll eventually face the same issues that Bargnani did, being forced into being the face/cornerstone/#1 guy of the franchise).
      - I wouldn't mind including him in a deal for Gay, as I think Gay & Ross would be a good wing tandem in the long-term and fit together better than Gay & DeRozan.
      - It would be a tough loss, but the acquisition of Gay and any subsequent trades (ie: Bargnani) would easily offset the loss.

Comment

Response to Matt52....

1) The talent is there.
        > The offensive efficiency is not. The defense is non-existent

2) Just 26 years old. Get McKechnie devising plan for his shoulder, return to 2010-11 form.
        > Acquiring an injured player? This is a positive? Pass

3) It has been reported he wants out of MEM for a long time. Only signed extension because, well, would you turn down $80M?
        > Why bring in a confirmed malcontent? Pass.

4) Change of scenery should do him good (Bargnani is to Toronto as Rudy is to Memphis).
        > See above

5) 6'8" SF with 7'2" wingspan.
        > So is Elton Brand, Jared Sullinger and Lonny Baxter.

6) Can Casey get him to buy in? I think so.
        > Confirmed coachability issues? Pass.

7) Lowry and Gay best-ies.
        > So were Hedo and Rasho.

8) Cap space and flexibility has done what for Toronto in last 3 years? Contract be damned.
        > Ok, so let's double-down on stupidity.

9) If DeRozan was included in trade, they have enough cap space to go after and talent to entice a FA PF like Paul Millsap this summer.
        > Oh, I see. We've got to move a developing asset like Demar, to offset a massive financial blunder.

10) If DD is not included and assuming ED is, sending out another $2.5M in the trade off next year (Gray?), amnestying Kleiza, and a bump in the salary cap as expected should lead to enough cap space to make a run at a FA PF like Paul Millsap.
        > So why make a financial blunder in the first place that puts you into cap scramble mode. Although it sounds like classic BryCo modus operandi.

*Both 9 and 10 assume Bargnani is gone.

In a nutshell if a combination of Calderon/ED/possibly DD/2nd round picks gets you Gay, you do it (obviously a 3rd or 4th team is going to need to be brought in).
        Last edited by golden; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Calderon + Davis + 2nd round pick for Gay

All day everyday.

Flexibility is not killed, merely altered.

People need to take off the homer blinders.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

All day everyday.

If you consider a Kleiza amnesty as part of the deal (purely for financial consideration), as is being rumored on ESPN today, then the salary impact is negligable next season for the Raptors.

Calderon ($10.5) + Davis ($2.2) + Kleiza ($4.6) = $17.3M

Gay ($16.5) = $16.5M
            - would become $17.2M is Selby were to be included

My bigger question is why Memphis would be interested in Davis (or Bargnani), considering they have Randolph, Speights and Arthur at PF already.

Comment

All day everyday.

+1. The only team that says no to this is Memphis

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                If you consider a Kleiza amnesty as part of the deal (purely for financial consideration), as is being rumored on ESPN today, then the salary impact is negligable next season for the Raptors.

Gay ($16.5) = $16.5M

My bigger question is why Memphis would be interested in Davis (or Bargnani), considering they have Randolph, Speights and Arthur at PF already.
                As I mentioned on the main page yesterday, a Rudy Gay deal involving Calderon/Davis/parts would be highway robbery in our favour. Not sure why Memphis would consider it.

But I still don't understand why Raps fan would decline it....

Comment

Gay ($16.5) = $16.5M

After January 15th Speights and Arthur are eligible to be traded. I think Davis is better than either now. ED could be looked at as long term starter as Z-Bo will be 32 to start next season.

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                  +1. The only team that says no to this is Memphis
                  Exactly. Not going to get done with what Toronto is offering unless more teams involved.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  As I mentioned on the main page yesterday, a Rudy Gay deal involving Calderon/Davis/parts would be highway robbery in our favour. Not sure why Memphis would consider it.

But I still don't understand why Raps fan would decline it....
                  Me neither.

Comment

All day everyday.

Yet you clearly write this with homer blinders.....and your lower posts confirm it. No way Memphis does a deal that's just Jose, Davis and 2nd rd pick(s) for Gay. And on the point of other teams getting involved...that just makes it more likely we'd have to give up prize assets like Ross and JV, and Demar (depending on your opinion). Basicaly with Jose's contract, the hope is that Ed Davis can land us Rudy Gay...that's not happening. I still think any deal, 2 team, 3 team or 4 team, ends up costing us things I'd rather not part with.

So yeah, I'd maybe do this version of the deal...but it's about as likely in my mind as trading Jose and Ed for LeBron.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Gay ($16.5) = $16.5M

It doesn't. Memphis wouldn't basically trade Rudy Gay for Jose and Ed. If these rumors are at all true, then clearly this is either Toronto's shitty offer, or details are left out like Toronto would have to give up 2 future 1st rd picks or something.

Comment

I've mentioned it before, but I would have thought that if Memphis was looking for a guy to replace Gay with a lower price tag that they would probable be looking to Indiana as a trade partner. Either Granger or George would be ideal for them I think. George is showing he has a huge upside and Granger would probably compliment Memphis' interior strengths with his outside shooting touch. If we could end up getting involved in a three team trade and wind up with George I would wet myself.

Comment

Yet you clearly write this with homer blinders.....and your lower posts confirm it. No way Memphis does a deal that's just Jose, Davis and 2nd rd pick(s) for Gay. And on the point of other teams getting involved...that just makes it more likely we'd have to give up prize assets like Ross and JV, and Demar (depending on your opinion). Basicaly with Jose's contract, the hope is that Ed Davis can land us Rudy Gay...that's not happening. I still think any deal, 2 team, 3 team or 4 team, ends up costing us things I'd rather not part with.

So yeah, I'd maybe do this version of the deal...but it's about as likely as trading Jose and Ed for LeBron.
                          Have you been reading my posts? Jesus H. Christ. No shit Memphis does not do that deal. I've only stated a few dozen times for the Raps to get Gay for those assets more teams would have to be involved. Ross is also off limits, JV too. DeRozan, I am not 100% certain, but thinking about how he disappears against skilled and/or larger defenders along with the presence of Ross, then yeah, I probably would pull the trigger. But even including DeRozan would need to involve more teams than Memphis and then there would have to be more coming back to Toronto than just Gay for a package of DD/ED/Calderon/2nd round pick.

Comment

It doesn't. Memphis wouldn't basically trade Rudy Gay for Jose and Ed. If these rumors are at all true, then clearly this is either Toronto's shitty offer, or details are left out like Toronto would have to give up 2 future 1st rd picks or something.
                            Yet they can't based on CBA.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              I've mentioned it before, but I would have thought that if Memphis was looking for a guy to replace Gay with a lower price tag that they would probable be looking to Indiana as a trade partner. Either Granger or George would be ideal for them I think. George is showing he has a huge upside and Granger would probably compliment Memphis' interior strengths with his outside shooting touch. If we could end up getting involved in a three team trade and wind up with George I would wet myself.
                              I would assume that George is an "untouchable" for the Pacers.

Comment

Yet they can't based on CBA.
                                How come? Seriously, is there a new restriction on trading picks in the new CBA?

Comment

Working...
                                X