Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    i personally think this move is all about profit for Rogers.
    Exactly. You don't drop $1B in coin on something you plan to take a hit from. This is a gigantic move if it takes place. You have to think it's got all to do with turning a profit. Rogers executives don't get bonuses by inflating business costs, they get bonuses by lowering costs and raising profits.

Comment

the funny part is Rogers are always complaining that there loosing sooo much money with the bluejays yet they have managed to stock pile a 1.3billion dollar war chest... i know they have other income but come on! were was this money before.... how come we are forced to watch the Jays loose out on every decent player in the league because of $ but yet they have all this cash to buy MLSE...
      if this happens it will be a sad day in toronto sports if u ask me.

Comment

the funny part is Rogers are always complaining that there loosing sooo much money with the bluejays yet they have managed to stock pile a 1.3billion dollar war chest... i know they have other income but come on! were was this money before.... how come we are forced to watch the Jays loose out on every decent player in the league because of $ but yet they have all this cash to buy MLSE...
        if this happens it will be a sad day in toronto sports if u ask me.
        +1

Comment

"Lowering costs and raising profits" is largely an oxymoron. You spend money to make money. Buy the content, monopolize the distribution channel, improve the product, raise the subscription price. That's their business plan.

It's a far more advantageous plan for Raptors fans than the last regime: Buy the team, manufacture more seats, raise seat prices, sign a new broadcast deal, and then sell.

This is better for raptors fans. Albeit marginally, but better.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
            WOW, talk about a HUGE transaction if it happens. What do you guys think? Good for the Raptors and the other teams in Toronto or bad?

Source - Click here
            My opinion is how much will it take for Jim Balsille or another Canadian billionaire to at least buy the Raptors(the attendance is already declining and if the team continues to be terrible, we might not have an NBA franchise afterall)? Rogers and other corporations is more of thesame, the best option is always a small group of people with entertainment experience or individuals(like Apollo said).

Comment

The more things changes the more they stay the same.

Sports in Toronto will continue to stink unless 1 passionate individual owner who cares about winning will take over.

Comment

I'm for it since this is the best opportunity we'll ever have at getting MLSE out of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund's cold dead hands.

Just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays.

edit keep in mind that I hate Rogers and their nazist telecom service.
                Last edited by nubreed000; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                  I'm for it since this is the best opportunity we'll ever have at getting MLSE out of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund's cold dead hands.

Just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays.
                  ever heard the saying "be careful what u wish for"?

also "just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays" is not a good way to start a marketing scheme LOL

AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
                  Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

jesus christ... i almost forgot baseball existed in the city.. now that i think of it, i cant name a single player on the jays..

ya, my mind is made up now... i dont like this rogers business..

Comment

AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
                      Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.

Comment

No, no, no. I hate Rogers with a passion. Rogers and Bell already own all of our cable/internet/cell phone options, SKYDOME, Bell Centre etc. You think OTPP has no interest in winning? Look at the Blue Jays and ask yourself what Rogers has done except p-off fans by switching games to premium channels IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON and playing to an empty stadium?

Fuck Rogers. Fuck em straight to hell. What we really need are teams of PEOPLE (ie Sarver/Cuban/Buss etc) with a passion in sports and winning to buy the team, NOT another faceless, heartless corporate entity that will bleed the "product" dry and then sell it on to the next boardroom.

BTW, Fuck Rogers.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.
                          agreed.. Doc should have retired a jay...rogers should have cared more about winning...

although i was happy that Doc got his chance in the post season. It really stung to see him dominate that first game & know it wasnt for the Jays...

Comment

next step - bills to Toronto! The whole city is going to bleed Rogers red.
                            Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
                            Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
                            Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Exactly. You don't drop $1B in coin on something you plan to take a hit from. This is a gigantic move if it takes place. You have to think it's got all to do with turning a profit. Rogers executives don't get bonuses by inflating business costs, they get bonuses by lowering costs and raising profits.
                              Nothing wrong with that. More money will be made from the Raps/Leafs if those teams are winning every year than if they're the embarrassments they are now. The MLSE ownership has been disastrous for a long time, and I thought the Rogers ownership of the Blue Jays has been a modest success (they're above .500 most of the time). I'm excited to see some changes in their hideous TV coverage. Perhaps some professionals will be hired.

Comment

I can't wait, Sportsnet will not only have every single Blue Jays game, they'll get the Raptors and Leafs too!

Comment

Working...
                                X