No announcement yet.

Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The teacher's own 51% right? The other 49% is owned by BMO and Bell. I HATE this deal. Aren't these guys supposed to be competitors? Is this bordering on Monopoly? Or some sort of jacked up corporate structure? If Bell and Rogers are in bed over this, I need to start making foil hats. It also means they value the whole MLSE sports franchise at around 2 Billion dollars...That's crazy! What individual, or group of individuals is going to make a 2 Billion dollar play in this economy? This means we're stuck with these fools!

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      The teacher's own 51% right? The other 49% is owned by BMO and Bell. I HATE this deal. Aren't these guys supposed to be competitors? Is this bordering on Monopoly? Or some sort of jacked up corporate structure? If Bell and Rogers are in bed over this, I need to start making foil hats. It also means they value the whole MLSE sports franchise at around 2 Billion dollars...That's crazy! What individual, or group of individuals is going to make a 2 Billion dollar play in this economy? This means we're stuck with these fools!
      actually...

OTPF=66%
      Kilmer Sports(Larry Tanenbum)=20.5%
      TD Capital=13.5%

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        ever heard the saying "be careful what u wish for"?

also "just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays" is not a good way to start a marketing scheme LOL

AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
        I'd say for you to not comment much on the Blue Jays because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. They traded Halladay away because he wanted to get traded to a team that could win the championship. Not because they couldn't afford him.

The Blue Jays under Rogers had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 3 years ago, Rogers is completely willing to put the money into the team and likely will do the same for the Raps and Leafs (and likely Bills Ralph Wilson passes). They decided to shift tactics the last couple years and build through the draft and trades based on the Tampa Bay model and it has worked out huge for them. American baseball scouts are absolutely drooling over the Jays talent base and will be for years to come.

Rogers owning the Raps is nothing but good news except for television viewing.

Comment

daveyboy wrote: View Post
          I'd say for you to not comment much on the Blue Jays because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. They traded Halladay away because he wanted to get traded to a team that could win the championship. Not because they couldn't afford him.

The Blue Jays under Rogers had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 3 years ago, Rogers is completely willing to put the money into the team and likely will do the same for the Raps and Leafs (and likely Bills Ralph Wilson passes). They decided to shift tactics the last couple years and build through the draft and trades based on the Tampa Bay model and it has worked out huge for them. American baseball scouts are absolutely drooling over the Jays talent base and will be for years to come.

Rogers owning the Raps is nothing but good news except for television viewing.
          Actually Doc wanted to be part of a winner in T.O but ownership kept blundering every move they made! in the end managment dicided to rebuild & wanted to trade Doc for prospects... Doc agreed because he wanted to be part of a winner not a constant rebuild!!! He never asked to be traded,he was asked if he would be willing to be traded...hence the reason Doc is still respected in T.O
          AA has managed to stock pile assests(Prospects) & has helped ease the pain a little but in no way shape or form did Rogers do anything good with the jays...

Id say u need to take off those Rogers(Rouge) coloured glasses.....
          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I hate baseball but not the Jays - If they were in ANY other division in the MLB they would have stolen the city's sports team as well as quite possibly pocketing a 'chip in the last 10 years. The Jays have had some really good teams that have been edged out of the playoff picture by the All-star payrolls of the Red Sox and the Yankees.

Really what the fuck kind of 30 team league makes every team play 162 games (the VAST majority of which are very sparsely attended) just to take the 6 divisional winners and the next 2 best teams (wildcards) to play 1 shortened 5 game series to determine the top 4 teams to play full 7 game series in the last 2 deciding rounds to determine a Champ?

In the NFL the playoff structure makes much more sense (although still annoying) since the nature of the sport somewhat dictates a limited length of games... but Baseball?!?

Anyway I don't really care who owns it as long as they let the basketball people in charge do their job with an acceptable amount of freedom.
            When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              More people are concerned what it means from a Leafs standpoint, but from a Raps standpoint, i think it'll be better. You might be able to do more things with Rogers' products to gain access to Raptors content. If you're with Bell, Telus, MTS, Aliant, Sasktel, etc, you might be screwed however.
              terlus hast.v.?

i know cogeco,bell,rogers,,shaw. but,didn't know telus, you sure went deep into the dc providers.

rogers has denied it ofcourse, i would like a change so im for it and i heard they were going to buy the 66% owned by the teachers, the other 34% i guess would stay whatever it is now.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                The more things changes the more they stay the same.

Sports in Toronto will continue to stink unless 1 passionate individual owner who cares about winning will take over.
                step in jim balsillie,although he's rumoured to enter a bid for the sabres.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

actually...

OTPF=66%
                  Kilmer Sports(Larry Tanenbum)=20.5%
                  TD Capital=13.5%
                  No Foil hats for me! Does the sale change anything though? With Ted Rogers dying (last year?) Tanenbum is still the most powerful individual, which means the sports products will remain untouched :/

Comment

the funny part is Rogers are always complaining that there loosing sooo much money with the bluejays yet they have managed to stock pile a 1.3billion dollar war chest... i know they have other income but come on! were was this money before.... how come we are forced to watch the Jays loose out on every decent player in the league because of $ but yet they have all this cash to buy MLSE...
                    if this happens it will be a sad day in toronto sports if u ask me.
                    Most companies who make purchases or expansions aren't bankrolling the projects primarily from their own pockets, they're financed by investors. I really don't believe Rogers had $1.3B sitting in the bank waiting for a rainy day.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Most companies who make purchases or expansions aren't bankrolling the projects primarily from their own pockets, they're financed by investors. I really don't believe Rogers had $1.3B sitting in the bank waiting for a rainy day.
                      with the whole SN1 BS & the way theyve torn apart the jays the last few years, id bet they did... add to that the extreamly crappy Internet they provide at a premium price & all the rest of the bs makes it even more obvious IMO they also purchased the Skydome for a measly 50mill. & are surelly seeing all profit from that venture already...I HATE ROGERS

Comment

big red wrote: View Post
                        Ticket prices will be flat rate up to 60 points scored by the Raptors, then a fee per point will be charged above and beyond that. If you become a Raptors fan, you must commit to them for three years. Getting bored of the Raptors or liking another team results in an early termination fee of $400. Oh and don't forget that being a Raptors fan has an extra charge of $6.95 per month for the NBA access fee.
                        Also, you can like the Raptors a whole lot. You can like the Raptors all the time. If you try to like the Raptors a whole lot all the time, they'll throttle your liking of the Raptors.
                        And be careful, being a Raptors fan while traveling will kill you with roaming fees.
                        Wow, big red, you nailed that. I f'n hate Rogers. I remember when they said they were going to bring the Bills to Toronto for some games. Rogers held a press conference and when asked a question about ticket prices, they started to laugh and said they'll charge us $250 a ticket and fans will be lined up. ha ha ha. what a f'n funny joke. Screwing the fans of Toronto.

The worst thing that will happen to fans is if Rogers takes over. They will find a way to gouge every last nickel and dime they possibly can. It will feel like we've been raped in the face. May Rogers die and be sent to the 7th circle of hell.
                        Last edited by RaptorDan; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 07:55 PM.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                          No, no, no. I hate Rogers with a passion. Rogers and Bell already own all of our cable/internet/cell phone options, SKYDOME, Bell Centre etc. You think OTPP has no interest in winning? Look at the Blue Jays and ask yourself what Rogers has done except p-off fans by switching games to premium channels IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON and playing to an empty stadium?

Fuck Rogers. Fuck em straight to hell. What we really need are teams of PEOPLE (ie Sarver/Cuban/Buss etc) with a passion in sports and winning to buy the team, NOT another faceless, heartless corporate entity that will bleed the "product" dry and then sell it on to the next boardroom.

BTW, Fuck Rogers.
                          You got that right brother (sister?)! Oh the stories i could tell about that succubus of a company
                          Last edited by RaptorDan; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 07:56 PM.
                          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
                            "Lowering costs and raising profits" is largely an oxymoron. You spend money to make money. Buy the content, monopolize the distribution channel, improve the product, raise the subscription price. That's their business plan.

It's a far more advantageous plan for Raptors fans than the last regime: Buy the team, manufacture more seats, raise seat prices, sign a new broadcast deal, and then sell.

This is better for raptors fans. Albeit marginally, but better.
                            You invest wisely to make money. Most teams paying huge luxury tax amounts could make a lot of money without swinging for the fences. Take the Raptors for example. They almost always finish in the top 15 in gate numbers and do well on T.V. What they've shown is a team can make good profits while putting a mediocre product to a strong market. Are they going to find bigger net gains by spending $20M over the tax threshold and then paying $20M in tax on top of that? I don't see how and so it brings me back to my point, what are corporate executives in sports franchises working towards? A nice bottom line or a probable pop fly on a power swing accompanied by a net loss to report to the share holders?

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.
                              Jose Bautista was glorious to watch last year.
                              Joshua Priemski
                              NBA blogger
                              SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                              www.RufusOnFire.com/
                              www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                You invest wisely to make money. Most teams paying huge luxury tax amounts could make a lot of money without swinging for the fences. Take the Raptors for example. They almost always finish in the top 15 in gate numbers and do well on T.V. What they've shown is a team can make good profits while putting a mediocre product to a strong market. Are they going to find bigger net gains by spending $20M over the tax threshold and then paying $20M in tax on top of that? I don't see how and so it brings me back to my point, what are corporate executives in sports franchises working towards? A nice bottom line or a probable pop fly on a power swing accompanied by a net loss to report to the share holders?
                                Not entirely true. Pretty sure if Rogers held a shareholder's meeting and said, "Look, we know you want money. So do we. However, we think it's best to invest in this franchise for a few years and see what returns we get. No harm in trying. Could pay off big time."

You have to remember, a large portion of the shareholders are dedicated fans as well.
                                Joshua Priemski
                                NBA blogger
                                SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                                www.RufusOnFire.com/
                                www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Working...
                                X