Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ujiri Expressing Interest In Maccabi PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ujiri Expressing Interest In Maccabi PG?

Interesting.

Never heard of Mekel before though...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...leeper-no-more
    Mamba Mentality

Can't really judge how good he is. No real latest highlights of his potential and talent, but from what I see and hear, he's a true point guard like Calderon. Very good at running an offense. From some of the highlights from the Milwaukee Bucks NBA video page, he seems to prefer penetrating the paint to score rather than relying on his jumpshot. So it's unsure whether or not he has a consistent jumpshot or not. Here is the only recent video highlights I can find so far and it's not really even a highlight video...

http://www.nba.com/bucks/video/2013/...620mov-2515526

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Interesting.

I say put him with our summer league guys
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I say put him with our summer league guys
        Basketball skills aside, the guy seems as fun as a prison door. I love the moment where they ask him "how did you end up at Wichita State ?" and he replies "Funny story, I had several offers but I liked the place so I went there".

Now, that's one hell of a funny story...

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          Interesting.

It's also interesting that they mention that its a Bucks workout. Was are soon to be assistant GM the source for this report?

Oh yeah here's a short scouting report about him back in 06' from draft express

U-18 European Championship Prospects: Point Guards
          September 11, 2006

One of the very few happy stories in the disappointing Israeli team, Mekel emerged as the team co-leader alongside Omri Casspi. We’re basically talking about a scoring point guard here, even if the limited talent of his squad probably forced him to assume a bigger chunk of the offensive load than he would had enjoyed in other circumstances.

Mekel is gifted with a pretty nice physical profile. He has terrific size for his position, and already shows good strength in a well-built body. In terms of athleticism, he comfortably fills the bill, although he falls short any kind of outstanding category.

Where Mekel feels more comfortable is driving to the basket, whether to finish near the rim or to release a mid-range jumper off the dribble. That’s pretty much a pattern in his game. He enjoys good ball-handling skills, a nice first step, footwork and the strength to easily operate in these youth stages. His shooting mechanics look fluid and natural from the mid-range area, but tend to become a bit awkward as he gets further from the basket. His three-point shooting apparently lacks solid mechanics, as he sometimes relies too much on the impulse of his right arm.

He doesn’t really stand out as a game distributor. You can see him delivering good passes, especially off the drive, but it’s not a consistent effort. Besides, he sometimes comes up with streaky decision making, particularly forcing his shot selection. All in all, Mekel hasn’t been able to completely make up for the lack of smarts that the Israeli backcourt showed in the tournament.

Mekel is a player to keep under the radar. He has a nice combination of physical tools and skills that, properly developed, might result into something interesting.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2X7PbqAaZ
          http://www.draftexpress.com
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

My question is, what type of visa issues did he have? Is it the type that would make it possible to play i the league but not cross borders, or just couldn't get a visa for a non-guaranteed contract?

Comment

His review suggests that as an older player (25) he isnt particularly good at any one thing (especially ball distribution). What is his upside at this age? My own preference is to go for the young pass-first pg who has good shooting mechanics which can be developed and is active on defense. I am hoping our new scouts and Ujiri can unearth a nugget in the second round if we get a pick or two.

Comment

Sure, anyone other than lucas. #galsanity LOL

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  His review suggests that as an older player (25) he isnt particularly good at any one thing (especially ball distribution). What is his upside at this age? My own preference is to go for the young pass-first pg who has good shooting mechanics which can be developed and is active on defense. I am hoping our new scouts and Ujiri can unearth a nugget in the second round if we get a pick or two.
                  According to what review? The 2006 one?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    According to what review? The 2006 one?
                    Whoa...missed the date of the piece!! Scratch my post. He had to have improved 7 yrs later I would presume.

Comment

Forget this guy maybe invite to Summer League squad but try and secure Myck hes dangling out there Ujiri go get him!

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Forget this guy maybe invite to Summer League squad but try and secure Myck hes dangling out there Ujiri go get him!
                        Cut jl3 and why not both?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Cut jl3 and why not both?
                          I like this. this way they can compete for the back up role. I hope JL3 isnt retained.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                            Basketball skills aside, the guy seems as fun as a prison door. I love the moment where they ask him "how did you end up at Wichita State ?" and he replies "Funny story, I had several offers but I liked the place so I went there".

Now, that's one hell of a funny story...
                            He's Israel's top comedian.

Comment

I still think, if Toronto is trying to get into the second round, Kabongo is my target, considering it's the Raps' thinnest position. I like Siva also. Schroeder is an interesting guy too.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X