Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our core 3 comparison to other NBA players

Derozan = Jason Richardson
    What do others think about this?! I think its a fairly accurate assesment of where Derozan is headed or where you can say he is pretty much almost there.

I think its a fair assesment and great achievement of Derozan future in the NBA and asking/hoping for a Vince Carter or Kobe like status is asking for alot.

Ed Davis = Joackim Noah

It looks like it wouldn't be too difficult with Davis adding more muscles and understanding of the game that he can average double double in this league. He won't be an effective scorer like Noah but his rebounding and defence will make up for it.

Bargnani = Mehmat Okur in his prime.

Enough said.

Now if you have Jason Richardson, Joackim Noah and Mehmet Okur together you are not going to win many games. The Raptors need to draft well and hope that if they get their hands on Irving that he would in fact be the next Chris Paul or hope the Barnes would turn into Deng. Then we can finally start winning games.

Derozan = T-Mac.
    Similar body size. Game is based on athleticism and driving. Jump shot as a counter. Elite scorer potential. Knows how to get their shot off. Probably not able to take their team to the big time on their own - needs (needed) a second and complementary wing. What Derozan lacks in scoring (i don't see him being able to lead the league) he makes up for with a higher work ethic and drive to get better.
    Not sure about J-Rich. Dude can light it up from deep.

Davis = Antonio Davis.
    Similar body size (AD is heavier by 20lbs, ED is taller by an inch). Professional. Tough interior defender and rebounder. Knows their role on the inside. All-star potential, though not a perennial.

Bargnani = No idea.
    Who else out there, who stands 7 feet tall and weighs in at 250 pounds, is given the keys to a franchise based on his ability to float around the perimeter, shoot and take people off the dribble? Not because he's particularly good at it, but because he's better at it than other people who are 7 feet tall and weigh in at 250 pounds? It's crazy, I tell you. It's like drafting a 6'6", 200lb guard who can't shoot or dribble but is an above average rebounder and post-defender for his position, and subsequently playing him almost exclusively in the post, and calling him a cornerstone. Find me another player like that, and you'll have your Bargnani comparison.

Comment

Andrea Bargnani = Shawn Bradley
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
        Derozan = T-Mac.
        Similar body size. Game is based on athleticism and driving. Jump shot as a counter. Elite scorer potential. Knows how to get their shot off. Probably not able to take their team to the big time on their own - needs (needed) a second and complementary wing. What Derozan lacks in scoring (i don't see him being able to lead the league) he makes up for with a higher work ethic and drive to get better.
        Not sure about J-Rich. Dude can light it up from deep.

Davis = Antonio Davis.
        Similar body size (AD is heavier by 20lbs, ED is taller by an inch). Professional. Tough interior defender and rebounder. Knows their role on the inside. All-star potential, though not a perennial.

Bargnani = No idea.
        Who else out there, who stands 7 feet tall and weighs in at 250 pounds, is given the keys to a franchise based on his ability to float around the perimeter, shoot and take people off the dribble? Not because he's particularly good at it, but because he's better at it than other people who are 7 feet tall and weigh in at 250 pounds? It's crazy, I tell you. It's like drafting a 6'6", 200lb guard who can't shoot or dribble but is an above average rebounder and post-defender for his position, and subsequently playing him almost exclusively in the post, and calling him a cornerstone. Find me another player like that, and you'll have your Bargnani comparison.
        DeRozan is T-Mac? Come on man, Tracy led the league in scoring twice and has huge ball skills, court vision and a better all around game than I can envision DeMar having. T-Mac at 6-8 often ran the point and rebounded the ball very well for a 2 guard. Now I am not saying that DeMar will not improve on his ball handling and overall game, but there is no way he plays like Tracy.

As for the Andrea hate, can you tell me who has called Bargnani the "cornerstone " and who has given him the keys to the franchise? He is our most offensive gifted player on a crappy team, we are building with him, not around him.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Derozen: Kobe Bryant Lite. People sometimes forget that the mamba had a lot of doubters as a young player and if you go look at his second season stats,you'll see they are similar to what DD is putting up. DD is playing more minutes, but Kobe was playing beside Shaq so I think there numbers do balance out.

Davis: Kevin Garnett. He is putting up similar stats to what Garnett did in his first year and plays with the same professional demeanor and defensive fundamentals that KG has always had. He is also built in a very similar manner to Garnett. Offensively he is less skilled than the Rookie KG, but he is showing signs that he could get there.

Bargs: A bigger, poorer shooting version of Keith Van Horn.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I like the Jason Richardson comp for Derozan. In his prime, a 20/5/3 guy. Derozan is not anywhere close to McGrady. T-Mac was one of the greatest talents of his generation.

I have always seen Ed Davis as Al Horford. I think Ed can be a 15/10 guy on a good team.

Bargnani reminds me of Keith van Horne without the all-court game. Okur is an okay comp.

Comment

De Rozan- Rudy Gay

Davis- Ben Wallace in his prime

Bargs- Kareem

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                DeRozan is T-Mac? Come on man, Tracy led the league in scoring twice and has huge ball skills, court vision and a better all around game than I can envision DeMar having. T-Mac at 6-8 often ran the point and rebounded the ball very well for a 2 guard. Now I am not saying that DeMar will not improve on his ball handling and overall game, but there is no way he plays like Tracy.

As for the Andrea hate, can you tell me who has called Bargnani the "cornerstone " and who has given him the keys to the franchise? He is our most offensive gifted player on a crappy team, we are building with him, not around him.
                Rebutted. On the Demar part. Comparison withdrawn.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post

Well said brother, I agree with all your points

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    Derozan = Jason Richardson
                    What do others think about this?! I think its a fairly accurate assesment of where Derozan is headed or where you can say he is pretty much almost there.

I think its a fair assesment and great achievement of Derozan future in the NBA and asking/hoping for a Vince Carter or Kobe like status is asking for alot.

Ed Davis = Joackim Noah

It looks like it wouldn't be too difficult with Davis adding more muscles and understanding of the game that he can average double double in this league. He won't be an effective scorer like Noah but his rebounding and defence will make up for it.

Bargnani = Mehmat Okur in his prime.

Enough said.

Now if you have Jason Richardson, Joackim Noah and Mehmet Okur together you are not going to win many games. The Raptors need to draft well and hope that if they get their hands on Irving that he would in fact be the next Chris Paul or hope the Barnes would turn into Deng. Then we can finally start winning games.
                    I'd say all of those comparisons are rather optimistic, but I get your point. I do disagree about Davis' offense. You see glimpses of a half decent offense. He's got a pretty good touch and does have some moves. I doubt he'll ever reach 20 ppg, but I can see him getting up in the high teens in the right situation.

Besides, Noah's offense certainly isn't anything worth mentioning. He's not a liability by a long shot but most of his points he gets off moving without the ball and offensive boards.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

@Jeff: Wow... someone being mature on this forum and actually accepting that they might have been wrong?? Unheard of...

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        Rebutted. On the Demar part. Comparison withdrawn.
                        Jeff man, please add this one:

Barbosa- a bunch of pawns

love it!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Ed Davis = Joackim Noah

I always thought Noah was pretty bad on defense.

I also agree with Tim that Davis can have a decent offensive game.

Comment

Vik wrote: View Post
                            @Jeff: Wow... someone being mature on this forum and actually accepting that they might have been wrong?? Unheard of...
                            Actually, I consider the level of discussion on these forums to be of a pretty high standard overall.

Comment

Derozan - Hamilton
                              Davis - KG (oh yeah, i said it)
                              Bargs - Brad Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X