Kevin Love: Wish or Swish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mountio wrote: View Post
    Is that how it works? You have one "max" slot to use and you can use that one slot regardless of your cap situation? And thus, by not giving Love the true max, they maintained this flexibility with Rubio? If yes .. then I take back my comment (at least in part .. they would still have negative luxury tax implications by having Pekovic, DD, AB, AJ + rubio max so presumably they would prefer a deal where they take on DD plus someone with less salary / years).

Anyways - if you can confirm thats how the max contracts work, that would be appreciated.
    If a team has Bird Rights they can sign any player regardless of the salary cap situation - assuming they did not give a full MLE in which case a hard cap of $74M comes in to effect.

Regarding players coming off rookie contracts, you can designate a player to get a 5 year extension - the full max - BUT you can only have one of these contracts/players on your books at the one time. The Wolves elected to save this designation for Rubio and gave Love the 4-year max (which he can opt out of after 3 years).... which has been a bit of a sore point for Love.

With regards to making a trade work on paper and resigning players, there was nothing to stop the above. Now if ownership has their own salary limits or profit targets, then that is an entirely different issue.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
      While this one looks good on paper .. the fatal flaw is I dont think it leaves them enough room to max out Rubio (especially if they resign Pekovic). My understanding is the whole reason they didnt give Love max years was to leave flexibility for Rubio. Thus, a deal that kills that I dont think they do.
      I don't get why they already plan to give Rubio a max salary. Allstars like Nash, Parker, Stockon, Payton, Rondo never had max contracts. And Rubio isn't like a Rose, Westbrook or Paul where he alone makes the timberwolves a winning team. He's a great facilitator and could be a young Jason Kidd (but Kidd got a max salary after he had already been to 5 or 6 allstar games and multiple playoff appearances).

I don't think Wall deserves one yet either (though he's thinks so)

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
        I don't get why they already plan to give Rubio a max salary. Allstars like Nash, Parker, Stockon, Payton, Rondo never had max contracts. And Rubio isn't like a Rose, Westbrook or Paul where he alone makes the timberwolves a winning team. He's a great facilitator and could be a young Jason Kidd (but Kidd got a max salary after he had already been to 5 or 6 allstar games and multiple playoff appearances).

I don't think Wall deserves one yet either (though he's thinks so)
        If it's about the extra year they can give to only one player, that doesn't mean it has to be a maximum contract.

Comment

Maybe I have been thinking about this way too long but here are three ideas for Love to Toronto. All three ideas are three team deals with Toronto-Minnesota-LA. Love ends up in Toronto in all three deals as well. I caught myself asking, "Why wouldn't LA just send Gasol to MIN and keep Love for themselves?" Reason is LA do not have draft picks or prospects. Major assumption here is Howard resigned by LA and Raps 2013 pick to OKC. Trades are coming up failure right now but I think they work come July 1st.

Trade 1: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=chnstke

LA: Bargnani, Roy, (Gray)?
          MIN: Gasol, Ross, 2014 Raps 1st rd pick
          TOR: Love, Barea

Why? Since Roy not guaranteed, LA saves $38M on the deal, about $25 if Gray included. Whole stretch 4 thing and MD'A system yada yada yada. MIN gets Spanish mate for Rubio, near all-star talent in Gasol, prospect at position of need in Ross, and draft pick. Toronto gets starting PF and backup PG.

Trade 2: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=d97voo3

LA: Bargnani, Ross, Roy
          MIN: Gasol, 2014 and 2016 1st rd pick from Toronto

Why? LA same reasons as above but add a SG prospect. MIN same as above but 2 1st round picks. TOR same.

Trade 3: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=ccr5fv9

LA: Bargnani, Roy, 2014 first round pick
          MIN: Gasol, DeRozan, 2014 2nd round pick

Why? LA same as above but add pick. MIN same reasons for Gasol as previously but add established NBA wing in DD. TOR do I need to explain? With lineup of Lowry, Fields, Gay, Love, JV with Amir, Barea, and Ross off bench the pick is inconsequential.

I could keep going with variations but the general idea remains the same: Bargnani plus one of DeRozan or Ross plus 1 or 2 first round draft picks for Love and Barea.

Getting Bargnani in LA would also be great because it kills LA's cap space when Love can opt out - although the next season when both Nash and Bargnani come off the books Love's contract is up.

**EDIT**

Thinking about it some more and trying to be as realistic as possible, you could make a case for including both DD and TR in any deal along with Bargnani and a pick(s). The Raps would have their full MLE with a big rotation (JV, Love, Amir, Gray, Acy) in place and PG set (Lowry, Barea, JL3). THey would now be thin on the wings with just Fields and Gay. Bring back AA for minimum (or not much more). Use MLE on another wing or split it to sign 2. While there are few big name wings available this off season in free agency, there are some useful players especially when you consider the scoring ability the Raptors would already have (Love, Gay, Lowry, improving JV, Amir).
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X