Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triano Says - The Raptors 10-11 Offense Will Run Some New Plays He Learned in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano Says - The Raptors 10-11 Offense Will Run Some New Plays He Learned in Europe

Triano works and learns
    Published On Mon Sep 06 2010

By Doug Smith Sports Reporter

ISTANBUL, TURKEY—Maybe they’ll call it “Spain up” or “Angola out” or something like that.

Whatever the nomenclature is, though, be sure to know there will be some pirating of plays by the Raptors this season after the world basketball championship concludes.

Part of the duties of Raptors head coach and U.S. assistant Jay Triano is to prepare the report on various opponents the Americans face here and he’s been paying particularly close attention to the plays the other countries run.

“I get to see a wide variety of coaches and their different plays and philosophy on why they do certain things,” Triano said. “I have plays that we will run next season that I picked up from the other teams here.”

Getting some new sets to run is just one of the byproducts of Triano’s tenure with the American team, a promotion he received from USAB, the sport’s governing body in the United States, just before the worlds began.

After spending two summers as a coach of the select team that works out against the senior men, Triano was given an assistant coaching role here when New York Knicks coach Mike D’Antonio had to pass on the event to deal with a bad back.

The Raptors head coach has been with the Americans through the pre-tournament exhibition schedule of games in New York, Madrid and Athens and here in Turkey until the end of the weekend.

He calls it a tremendous learning experience.
    cont here

Some of the new plays that Triano learned in Europe will include

1. Pass to Kleiza
    2. How to play without Calderon
    3. The disappearing "Il Mago" option.
    4. The Kangaroo hop and go.
    5. The Brazilian 25 foot heave and clank.

Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Sep 8, 2010, 05:48 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

1. Pass to Kleiza

[/QUOTE]

+1. dont forget:

6. the Hedo without the "ball" option

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post

1. Pass to Kleiza

+1. dont forget:

6. the Hedo without the "ball" option [/QUOTE]

Good point
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        cont here

1. Pass to Kleiza

Don't forget 6. < Babysitting Amir so he doesn't foul out and miss being part of the YGZ show>

Comment

I think we'll run the Kangaroo hop and go the most. But the Brazilian 25 foot heave and clank is close

Comment

What Jay needs to do is come back with the mentality to compete on the defensive end of the court!!!! I could care less about some new offensive FIBA sets.

Jay may be a really good guy but he's the wrong guy to lead the Raptor's as the head coach he's better off as an assistant coach as promoting Jay- aka the 1st Canadian NBA head coach, was just another mistake in a long list of BC's (Bull Chit) missteps since taking over Toronto in 2006.

From Division Champs to Conference chumps- all under BC.........

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
              What Jay needs to do is come back with the mentality to compete on the defensive end of the court!!!! I could care less about some new offensive FIBA sets.

Jay may be a really good guy but he's the wrong guy to lead the Raptor's as the head coach he's better off as an assistant coach as promoting Jay- aka the 1st Canadian NBA head coach, was just another mistake in a long list of BC's (Bull Chit) missteps since taking over Toronto in 2006.

From Division Champs to Conference chumps- all under BC.........
              I agree. We were the worst defensive team in the league last season and we aren't going to win until that changes. Imagine the fact that we won 40 games without playing defense. How much could we have won if we actually got some stops and were even at least an average defensive team? Also, we bring in players like Barbosa and Kleiza who aren't great defenders without acquiring a true center.

Comment

CB4 wrote: View Post
                I agree. We were the worst defensive team in the league last season and we aren't going to win until that changes. Imagine the fact that we won 40 games without playing defense. How much could we have won if we actually got some stops and were even at least an average defensive team? Also, we bring in players like Barbosa and Kleiza who aren't great defenders without acquiring a true center.
                The 2010-11 Raptors will play better defense than the 09-10 version

I expect them to move up to between 20 - 25 in defense.

Comment

I really do hope so but the additions this summer don't help in that regard. That's the reality of the situation. Bosh leaving doesn't increase our defensive capabilities either, in fact, It will probably hurt it more than we thought it would.

Comment

Maybe not 20. But near there. I say around 23-25. But what is key, is that our offence doesn't slip too much...

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      Maybe not 20. But near there. I say around 23-25. But what is key, is that our offence doesn't slip too much...
                      The offense will be fine as long as Triano doesn't let some players get away with being big time chuckers. If the Raptors move the ball around a lot, run a lot and spread the shooting pretty good among the five on the floor at anyone time they will be fine.

Comment

I just hope his sub patterns change this season. He took guys out too quick or didn't put guys in last year in regards to how the game was progressing. DeRozan for instance was pretty much relegated to about 20 mins a game regardless of how well he was playing that night. Sometimes he'd have huge first or third quarters but saw no time in the second or fourth. I realize you're trying to bring some guys along slowly, but i hope he changes that philosophy this season.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                          I just hope his sub patterns change this season. He took guys out too quick or didn't put guys in last year in regards to how the game was progressing. DeRozan for instance was pretty much relegated to about 20 mins a game regardless of how well he was playing that night. Sometimes he'd have huge first or third quarters but saw no time in the second or fourth. I realize you're trying to bring some guys along slowly, but i hope he changes that philosophy this season.
                          BC dictates everything through his puppet coach Jay aka Mister Bob Dobilina thus the rotations are pre set and were not done by the feel of the game- we need a real coach. Hopefully this GM/coaching tactic changes in 2010-11 but I really doubt it- you can't keep everybody happy with a certified 9 man rotation and BC will want his bigger contract players played so it'll be interesting to see the rotation come the regular season if no more roster moves are made.

Jay's coaching theme music:

Comment

Working...
                          X