Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Jarrett Jack Really Traded?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ba.../16250781.html

BC says "If the first four years were about builiding around Chris Bosh These next four years are about building without Chris Bosh"

That was a polite way of saying Raptors want no assosiation with Chris Bosh. Ironically, JJ and Bosh are close friends. During their stay in Miami JJ apprently was invited to Bosh's place for his kids Bday. Shortly there after about a week later JJ got traded away. Its funny how things work JJ was originally brought in due to his good relationship with Bosh, however in the end his good relationship with Bosh is the reason hes shipped out of town.
    Last edited by DunkinDerozan; Mon Dec 6, 2010, 07:34 PM.

id say its more because of his ridiculous contract and decision to play as sloppily as possible
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

id say he was really traded cause he sucks, hes a born looser, his loosing ways infest anyone he comes in contact with, his defence was way over rated & his contract sucked. couple that with the fact he was only brought into stroke boshs ego & theres your answer...

Comment

So why didn't he trade him after he got rid of Bosh? He actually tried to trade Calderon away and make Jack the starting point guard, so I call this quote total bullshit on the part of Colangelo.

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
          http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ba.../16250781.html

BC says "If the first four years were about builiding around Chris Bosh These next four years are about building without Chris Bosh"

That was a polite way of saying Raptors want no assosiation with Chris Bosh.
          Based on all that transpired I think it was more like Chris Bosh wanted nothing to do with the Raptors and so Colangelo had to change directions. Everything that hit the media suggested Colangelo was not happy that Chris left and he at least wasn't anticipating it prior to the trade deadline and Chris wasn't really saying otherwise.

Ironically, JJ and Bosh are close friends. During their stay in Miami JJ apprently was invited to Bosh's place for his kids Bday. Shortly there after about a week later JJ got traded away.
          The Raptors traded for a better long term option at the PG spot.

Its funny how things work JJ was originally brought in due to his good relationship with Bosh, however in the end his good relationship with Bosh is the reason hes shipped out of town.
          I think Jack got traded because it was becoming obvious that he wasn't the best option on the court. In fact Jack said and did everything he could in the off-season to try and take over the leadership role on the team. Props to him for doing that because somebody needed to, it's just not in him to be that guy. What took place over the summer suggested anything but Jack wanted out and it's not like he went to Miami. Everything that I saw pointed towards Jack wanting to be here. That's my take on it anyway.

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          So why didn't he trade him after he got rid of Bosh? He actually tried to trade Calderon away and make Jack the starting point guard, so I call this quote total bullshit on the part of Colangelo.
          Really good point.
          Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 6, 2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I'd disagree.

Based on Jack's play and demeanour, something definitely changed from summerleague/preseason until the time he got traded. Since opinions of bloggers and blog forum posters are obviously in play, my opinion is Jack didn't take too kindly to coming back in to the same situation as last year, put on his sulking face as he usually did when things get rough, started playing some selfish ball (maybe he got word he was going being shopped?), and Colangelo said, "I get Peja's contract which will become more valuable as trade deadline approaches, lose Jack's contract going forward, AND I get Jerryd Bayless?" And there he was gone.

It is also my opinion that quote has been interpreted with a little more taint and disdain than intended. It is no secret why Jack was brought in - to appease Bosh and place a friend and former teammate with him. Bosh left and one of the pieces brought in for Bosh was also traded.

Is it untrue the Raptors/BC had tried to build a winning franchise around Bosh for 4 years?

Is it untrue the Raptors are now trying to build a franchise without Bosh?

I honestly do not see the issue with the statement and I do not see it as a slap to Chris Bosh - or Jarrett Jack. It was and is the truth.

Comment

I think he got traded because he's no good. There are no undertones to this trade.

Comment

He tried trading Calderone by default I mean come on we almost had CHANDLER!!! Who wouldnt do that trade in a heart beat. I am really happy that we were able to turn Jack into Bayless but I think trading Jack was a priority,think about it no one even seemed too upset he left which is kind of suprising given all the hype about him being a leader for young onez showing up in vegas etcc... Also, there should be some code of conduct you shouldnt interact with a player who screwed your franchise especially the night before you play against them. Raptors are paying your paycheques so show some loyalty to them. You can chill with bosh in the summer but not before a game. I am not saying thats why he got traded but may have been a turning point.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I'd disagree.

Based on Jack's play and demeanour, something definitely changed from summerleague/preseason until the time he got traded. Since opinions of bloggers and blog forum posters are obviously in play, my opinion is Jack didn't take too kindly to coming back in to the same situation as last year, put on his sulking face as he usually did when things get rough, started playing some selfish ball (maybe he got word he was going being shopped?), and Colangelo said, "I get Peja's contract which will become more valuable as trade deadline approaches, lose Jack's contract going forward, AND I get Jerryd Bayless?" And there he was gone.

It is also my opinion that quote has been interpreted with a little more taint and disdain than intended. It is no secret why Jack was brought in - to appease Bosh and place a friend and former teammate with him. Bosh left and one of the pieces brought in for Bosh was also traded.

Is it untrue the Raptors/BC had tried to build a winning franchise around Bosh for 4 years?

Is it untrue the Raptors are now trying to build a franchise without Bosh?

I honestly do not see the issue with the statement and I do not see it as a slap to Chris Bosh - or Jarrett Jack. It was and is the truth.
                  absolutely agree with you matt

Comment

this is ridiculous.

bayless has more upside than jack. period.

i'm about 90% sure BC wasn't sitting their contemplating the trade proposal like "hmmmm.... bayless has alot of potential... jack has pretty much hit his ceiling and its fairly low.... what to do, what to do..... WHAT?! Jack went to Bosh's kid's birthday party!?!?! OH FUCK THAT GUY"

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Based on Jack's play and demeanour, something definitely changed from summerleague/preseason until the time he got traded. Since opinions of bloggers and blog forum posters are obviously in play, my opinion is Jack didn't take too kindly to coming back in to the same situation as last year, put on his sulking face as he usually did when things get rough, started playing some selfish ball.

It is also my opinion that quote has been interpreted with a little more taint and disdain than intended.
                      Agree that the quote is made out to be more sensational than it is. However, as far as Jack's attitude, it was clear that this was a rebuilding year very early in the off-season. I saw Jack give a few interviews during summer league and training camp, and nothing suggested that he didn't want to stay in Toronto. He seemed happy and had the support of the franchise and the rest of the players behind him. To say that he "didn't take too kindly to coming back in to the same situation as last year" is wrong because he knew exactly the situation he was coming into in June and, judging by his interviews and attitude, accepted it completely. In fact, even I expressed surprise about it during the summertime in a couple posts, but was told that Jack was a pro etc etc.

I think there's a slight element of betrayal on the part of BC here, he groomed Jack as the starter to everyone and then flipped him when he got a chance. I have no problem with that, but looking at it from Jack's perspective, he went from a key starter to trade-bait in zero time.

In conclusion, meh.

Comment

Nicely Said.

He traded Jack because he was playing almost 27 million on a PG Position ( Jose, JJ, Banks and Barbosa) without having a legit starting PG !!

He tried moving Jose all summer and then found out that he can not.

He tried moving Banks and was not able to do as well.

So he went with the only reasonable contract in the team and that JJ and traded him

Comment

calderone was almost traded to try and benefit the team. starter for starter (i assume chandler would have started). jack was traded to benefit the team. NO needed a back up PG and thought jacks contract and skill set fit the bill. I dont think BC was thinking too much about anything else.
                          As a side note does it really make sense for a team leader to be a player that on most other teams would barely play 15 min?? maybe that mentality is what lead jack to believe he was better than he really was. anyway good riddance. wish him well

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                            this is ridiculous.

bayless has more upside than jack. period.

i'm about 90% sure BC wasn't sitting their contemplating the trade proposal like "hmmmm.... bayless has alot of potential... jack has pretty much hit his ceiling and its fairly low.... what to do, what to do..... WHAT?! Jack went to Bosh's kid's birthday party!?!?! OH FUCK THAT GUY"
                            I was at that birthday party too. Everyone dressed in pirate costumes. It was really cool.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Agree that the quote is made out to be more sensational than it is. However, as far as Jack's attitude, it was clear that this was a rebuilding year very early in the off-season. I saw Jack give a few interviews during summer league and training camp, and nothing suggested that he didn't want to stay in Toronto. He seemed happy and had the support of the franchise and the rest of the players behind him. To say that he "didn't take too kindly to coming back in to the same situation as last year" is wrong because he knew exactly the situation he was coming into in June and, judging by his interviews and attitude, accepted it completely. In fact, even I expressed surprise about it during the summertime in a couple posts, but was told that Jack was a pro etc etc.

I think there's a slight element of betrayal on the part of BC here, he groomed Jack as the starter to everyone and then flipped him when he got a chance. I have no problem with that, but looking at it from Jack's perspective, he went from a key starter to trade-bait in zero time.

In conclusion, meh.
                              All very valid points. I saw many of the same interviews and write-ups this summer. However, I cannot let go the notion something changed. I really have no proof, it is just my opinion based on his play and body language. I could be wrong, probably am.

As for key starter to trade-bait, two famous NBA quotes:

"It's a business."

"It is what it is."

Comment

Working...
                              X