Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any chance we can get rid of rob ford in that trade too? we keep the crack though.

Comment

• So what if...Masai can acquire a defensively minded big, to play in the rotation with JV and Amir, and make sure that when Bargs is on the floor it's only with Gay, Fields, Lowry, and the previously referred to big.

That might be a good enough defensive 4 to compensate for Bargs, who then would be freed up to simply be a scorer. If he is shooting well, he stays on the floor. If not, Fields comes off, Demar goes in and JV and Amir go in.

This give Bargs an opportunity to simply show his ability and increase his value. Masai them makes the trade and gets back something (picks and pieces?). Who would do it? Some team that has defensive capability but needs a big that can shoot from outside and doesn't have to play very well defensively except in a man-to-man face up situation.

I don't think he can make a trade for Bargs unless the big fellow can show something, and all he's got is his scoring ability (which has been MIA for a year and a half now...got to give him a chance to find it somehow).

Comment

• When you look at Casey's defensive schemes, keeping Bargnani just doesn't make sense. Bargnani can only defend his guy. Any scheme that forces him to switch in the post like a flex-zone he's in trouble. He'd be better off in a strict man system. Since it looks like Casey is staying moving him before he is exposed is the best solution.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          When you look at Casey's defensive schemes, keeping Bargnani just doesn't make sense. Bargnani can only defend his guy. Any scheme that forces him to switch in the post like a flex-zone he's in trouble. He'd be better off in a strict man system. Since it looks like Casey is staying moving him before he is exposed is the best solution.
          Not playing him would help too
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• With the number of times Ujiri mentioned hiring a staff I have been anxiously waiting to hear names. And here's the first: Marc Stein is reporting via twitter that Ujiri is trying hard to get Jeff Weltman out of Milwaukee (Assistant GM).

All I know about him is he was a finalist for the Suns GM position. I would love to hear more from people in the know!
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• It feels like he's compiling the avengers....

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                With the number of times Ujiri mentioned hiring a staff I have been anxiously waiting to hear names. And here's the first: Marc Stein is reporting via twitter that Ujiri is trying hard to get Jeff Weltman out of Milwaukee (Assistant GM).

All I know about him is he was a finalist for the Suns GM position. I would love to hear more from people in the know!

Who is Jeff Weltman? The Bucks write up on him from 2008:

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Bucks have named Jeff Weltman to the position of Assistant General Manager, General Manager John Hammond announced today. Weltman comes to the Bucks after spending the 2007-08 season with the Detroit Pistons where he worked along side Hammond as the director of basketball administration.

“Jeff is a hard-working and respected NBA front office executive,” said Hammond. “He has a keen eye for talent, a tireless work ethic and a strong knowledge of the league’s salary cap structure. I value his input and look forward to continuing our relationship in Milwaukee.”

Weltman spent one season in Detroit and was responsible for coordinating the team’s draft preparation, scouting efforts, scouting schedules, and free agent visits. He joined the Pistons after spending five seasons as the assistant general manager with the Denver Nuggets where he helped develop the Nuggets into a team that ended an eight-year play-off drought in 2003-04 and won 49 games in 2004-05.

“I’m excited to join the Milwaukee Bucks organization and grateful to Senator Kohl and John Hammond for the opportunity,” said Weltman.

The 43-year-old began his NBA career in 1988 as a video coordinator with the Los Angeles Clippers. He quickly rose through the organization’s ranks and served as the club’s Director of Player Personnel from 1994-2001. He worked closely with Hammond during the 1990-93 and 2000-01 seasons when the Bucks General Manager was an assistant coach for the Clippers (under Larry Brown from ’90-93 and under Alvin Gentry from ’00-01). In all, the New York native owns 19 years of NBA experience.

Weltman graduated from Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio in 1987. He and his wife, Alexis, have twin daughters, Lucy and J.J., who will turn three years old this May.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/weltman_080418.html
                Another person with ties to the Nuggets.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Who is Jeff Weltman? The Bucks write up on him from 2008:

Another person with ties to the Nuggets.
                  I read this morning that Weltman was the person who advocated for the Nuggets to hire Ujiri as a scout. He was the one who first brought Masai to Denver. Talk about paying it forward!
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                    I read this morning that Weltman was the person who advocated for the Nuggets to hire Ujiri as a scout. He was the one who first brought Masai to Denver. Talk about paying it forward!
                    Yes! Just about to post that:

In 2002, Ujiri was accompanying a young Nigerian player to a draft tryout in Orlando and met John Gabriel, who was the Magic GM at the time and who was impressed with Ujiri’s extensive knowledge of international players.

The following year, Ujiri agreed to become an unpaid scout for the NBA team and he used his own financial resources travelling to tournaments around the world, rooming with fellow scouts and players when he could to save money.

It was during that year that he met Jeff Weltman, then a young executive with the Denver Nuggets, who in turn introduced Ujiri to Kiki Vandeweghe, Denver’s former GM. Vandeweghe hired Ujiri on salary as an international scout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12357612/

Comment

• A good chance Ujiri gets his guy probably during the end of the week. Milwaukee doesn't have much to be excited about next year and the early playoff exit is pretty much going back to stage 1 of rebuild.

Comment

• I like the talent evaluating portion of the resume especially. This has been especially weak in the BC era...meaning no nuggets were mined (no pun intended) especially in the 2nd rd. and the 1sts' were meh other than JV and he fell into our laps. I autocue mentally to Jim Kelly when Raptors talent eval. is the subject.

Comment

• I think he did a good job with the Bucks. I like their team a lot, even if its just a mishmash of average players, at least its a step up from BC's mishmash of god awful players.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                            I think he did a good job with the Bucks. I like their team a lot, even if its just a mishmash of average players, at least its a step up from BC's mishmash of god awful players.
                            I just can't believe what they did with Tobias Harris.

Henson and Sanders were great picks in recent years.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                              I think he did a good job with the Bucks. I like their team a lot, even if its just a mishmash of average players, at least its a step up from BC's mishmash of god awful players.
                              Are you kidding me? BC wasn't very good but this team has way more talent than the mediocre bucks team.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I just can't believe what they did with Tobias Harris.
                                He has the makings of a star, so much talent

Comment

Working...
                                X