Casey setting the bar for next season: Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Alright let me set this straight. The pillars/foundations whatever the hell you want to call them are:

Bargnani
    DeRozan
    Valanciunas
    This years pick
    and maybe Ed Davis

the rest we don't know yet. Think what you want but the players i listed will more than likely be here next season.
    I think Davis has a 50/50 shot (at best) of sticking around. He'll be easier to trade than Amir, and one of them definitely has to go.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I think Davis has a 50/50 shot (at best) of sticking around. He'll be easier to trade than Amir, and one of them definitely has to go.
      ya you can go either way but i say go with Eddy D.

Comment

Doug Smith (who sometimes seems to have some insider information) sees a pretty big overhaul coming:

I think there will be at least a half dozen new players and maybe 3 or 4 in a nine-man rotation; there will be Valanciunas, a new starting 3; a back up 2 and perhaps a backup PG

I think this just may be the case. BC is probably itching to pull the trigger on some big changes. I think Kleiza (amnesty?) - in spite of the J-V connection - and Amir are likely to go (glut at 4 spot) and maybe Bayliss (trade?) too!

Other changes to bench players like Alabi and one of Magloire or Aaron Gray. Forbes and Anderson will get a shot but it remains to be seen if they're keepers. Ben Uzoh is probably moving on.

There could be a lot of change coming, Smith may be right!
        Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
          Doug Smith (who sometimes seems to have some insider information) sees a pretty big overhaul coming:

I think there will be at least a half dozen new players and maybe 3 or 4 in a nine-man rotation; there will be Valanciunas, a new starting 3; a back up 2 and perhaps a backup PG

I think this just may be the case. BC is probably itching to pull the trigger on some big changes. I think Kleiza (amnesty?) - in spite of the J-V connection - and Amir are likely to go (glut at 4 spot) and maybe Bayliss (trade?) too!

Other changes to bench players like Alabi and one of Magloire or Aaron Gray. Forbes and Anderson will get a shot but it remains to be seen if they're keepers. Ben Uzoh is probably moving on.

There could be a lot of change coming, Smith may be right!
          I think he is more than itching. He said in the press conference he is rearing to go.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            That is your opinion.

Your opinion appears to be that the foundation is a player.

My opinion is the foundation is the philosophy of the team (players, coaches, management) and everyone must be on the same page. This year has been very successful in changing the minds of what people who matter (i.e. other NBA coaches and players) think of when they hear Toronto Raptors. Toronto is no longer a joke and if you don't bring your game, they are going to beat you.

Successful teams (i.e. championship and deep playoff runs) are built on more than talented players. They are important, very important, but they are not the only important ingredient in the recipe.
            +1
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
              You just mentioned all of the players and declared some of them as "pillars".

Succesful championship teams are built on talented players with championship intangibles.
              You could say that for every team than. Every team has talented players with intangibles to take them far. Look at Sacramento for example. Demarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, these guys are very, VERY talented players and have potential to separate from solid NBA pros to all-stars. Hell they are already by far solid NBA pros. They don't have the culture/coaching staff, they don't have the role pieces, and they're struggling to stay in Sacramento.

Toronto has a very well developed/built foundation. Of pillars/players that can lead high positions on the team. JV, DD, AB. Players that can play smaller roles/veteran experience such as Kleiza, Calderon, Ed, Amir, James Johnson, Gray, Magloire. A very good coaching staff who has proved the change towards a defensive culture led by head coach Dwane Casey.

All they need now, is to add more role players/talent TO the foundation.

Good foundations are OKC - Durant/Westbrook/Harden/Perkins/Ibaka/very good role players (Cook, Maynor, Sefelosha,Collison) - Coach Brooks
              Spurs - Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/young and experienced bench/Role players(Blair, Jackson, Splitter, Green) - Coach Pop
              Celtics - The Old but Big Three/Rondo/Bench/(Bradley, Stiesma, Bass) - Coach Rivers
              Heat - Two and a half men/great surrounding shooters, defensive players, role players - Coach Spoelstra
              Bulls - Derrick Rose/Skilled front-court/Scoring shooting guard, defensive players, best 2nd unit - coach Thibodeau

Those are foundations. They all have talent, but they are surrounded by role players and players who play to fit within the system of the team, laid down by the coaching staff.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

i think the raptors didn't want to make the play offs this year so that being said its safe to say the the plan to get to the playoffs is about right

Comment

ab7 wrote: View Post
                  i think the raptors didn't want to make the play offs this year so that being said its safe to say the the plan to get to the playoffs is about right
                  I can't agree with that statement, Casey is going to compete no matter what!

Although Raptors were minus a number of guys -mostly for legitimate reasons - what the Nets did in that last game was absolutely scandalous. Still Casey will try to win with or without bona fide NBA'ers.

Gotta respect the man for that! As someone pointed out elsewhere the only sure way Raptors could tank would be to banish DC from the bench.
                  Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Well, they'll need 8 or 10 really good players first. Right now they have none. So they've got some work to do.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      You just mentioned all of the players and declared some of them as "pillars".

Succesful championship teams are built on talented players with championship intangibles.
                      What are "intangibles"?

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                        What are "intangibles"?
                        Heart, desire, will-to-win.

Characteristics or abilities that are not necessarily teachable or can be coached up in a player.

Comment

When BC trades this draft pick this year and starts loading up on FA and vet's, I hope the fanbase will ask "where did the rebuild go"?

Comment

This GM has no real long-term plan in place. It changes year to year.

There are no real championship aspirations.

It's all about keeping his job and trying to make the playoffs.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                              Well, they'll need 8 or 10 really good players first. Right now they have none. So they've got some work to do.
                              yes a 7ft power forward who is within his shooting range as soon as he steps in the building and a PG with 4.5 assist to turnover ratio (best in the league) are not good players.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                yes a 7ft power forward who is within his shooting range as soon as he steps in the building and a PG with 4.5 assist to turnover ratio (best in the league) are not good players.
                                "Really good" is a relative term.

Are Bargnani and Calderon "really good" on a 23-win team devoid of talent? Yes.

Are Bargnani and Calderon "really good" enough to lead us deep in the playoffs? Not likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X