Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright & Jack Calling Out Triano

When it rains it pours.

Courtesy of Feschuk's post game summary.

After an unconscionable defensive effort that saw the Raptors surrender the second-most points in franchise history, more than one player openly criticized the coach's schemes in the game's solemn wake.

And more than one veteran voice said Triano is failing to call out the players who are making the most egregious defensive mistakes.

"Every time something happens it's always, `It's okay, it's all right.' It's not all right," said Jarrett Jack, the reserve guard. "Problems go by without attacking them or challenging them or bringing them to the forefront and getting them solved. We can't keep keep putting them to the back of the bus and just saying, `That's okay.' It's not all right. Everybody can't walk on eggshells around here and say, `We're playing good basketball.' We're not."

Said Antoine Wright: "You've got to address (the defensive issues) and you've got to show people on tape. It's not personal. If you want to win, you're going to have to make some sacrifices."

Wright, who has criticized Triano's schemes previously, was the only Raptor not to see the floor on Wednesday. He said Triano has failed to "call out" under-performing Raptors because unnamed teammates are "too sensitive" to criticism. And although he and Jack were the most explicit in their post-game assessments, their sentiments weren't unique. After Triano gave a post-game press briefing in which he said he couldn't fault his team's effort - "I can't say I (saw players) not trying out there" - other eyes remembered it another way.

"The defensive effort hasn't been there for a while. We didn't magically appear last on the charts defensively," said all-star forward Chris Bosh, who, after scoring two points on two field-goal attempts, didn't seem thrilled with the offence, either. "I mean, tonight was just a total embarrassment. We couldn't stop anybody. We haven't stopped anybody all year."
    Source - Click here

Talk is cheap. Do something about it on the court. Until then, I'm sleeping on this.
    Toronto's Finest

Comment

Hehehe ... I have been calling out Triano the second I heard he was named interim head coach for Raptors, last year in December. Triano is an good assistant coach, but he doesn't have the personality to keep under control NBA players. He is way too soft.

Comment

Wow ... that's quite negative. Looks like Triano is losing control of the ship.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

My fears have been confirmed, Triano can't call out Bosh or Bargnani because that would piss off BC. I think Jack's comment's are dead-on again, you can tell he wants an open discussion about the team's problems whereas Triano is trying to brush everything under the carpet.

I'm an outsider and can only surmise that based on quotes. It doesn't look good. Intervention time. Dr. Phil?

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            My fears have been confirmed, Triano can't call out Bosh or Bargnani because that would piss off BC. I think Jack's comment's are dead-on again, you can tell he wants an open discussion about the team's problems whereas Triano is trying to brush everything under the carpet.

I'm an outsider and can only surmise that based on quotes. It doesn't look good. Intervention time. Dr. Phil?
            It's worse than that!

Jay doesn't know what to do if he does call one of his players out!

Sort of like his attempt to implement a defense tonight!

Triano has proven that last season's bad record does reflect his abilities accurately!

It's time for a change!
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Wow, that's actionable stuff.

Comment

And to think they'll be partying it up after this embarrassment:

Comment

I think you're spot on.

My fear is not necessarily with the coach losing control or players tuning him out because ultimately, Chris Bosh is a Triano supporter and that can go a long way in swaying the opinions of his teammates - at least that's the impression I get. I could, of course, be totally off on that assumption. Having said that, what's really dangerous is the notion that now exists within this locker room that the team has certain players that are not talented enough to warrant the playing time they are receiving. This is a dangerous attitude and consistent with a team displaying a lack of effort or motivation--

As a (poor) analogy-- say you're playing 5 on 5 Halo 3 one night lol, and you get four other players on your team that you dont know. You assume that they're equally as good (or bad) as you, giving the benefit of the doubt to the matchmaking methods of the game... Then the game starts and after a few rounds you realize that your team is filled with players that suck at the game and the other team is filled with experts. How would you react? You'd probably try to play selfishly to stack up your points total, or just abandon the game because its a waste of your time to play with a team that isn't helping you out ...

Comment

I really don't think it has THAT much to do with our players. These are NBA players playing against other NBA players. We can all agree the Raps have some good NBA players on the roster.

With that being said, when a team gets lit up like this every single night - it's a coaching problem. Look at every game! Crappy help D, slow rotations, missed assignments, and every team has an excellent night shooting the ball against us. Our guys are in the wrong place at the wrong time consistently!! Triano's defensive schemes are brutal and thats why teams make it look so easy to score on us.

Get Van Gundy in here it's time.

Comment

And to think they'll be partying it up after this embarrassment:

Neither player looked, nor seemed too terribly upset last night Arse, so I'm sure attending that party was something they were still looking forward too.

Comment

From bad to worse

It's usually hard to pinpoint really bad coaching (without being at practices) but I think it’s safe to say that under Triano the coaching has gone from indifferent to downright harmful. Consider the following:

The Raptors hardly ever initiate fastbreaks which means that their opponents can crash the offensive boards without any concerns that they’ll get caught because Calderone always waits for the defense to get back and set up. DeRosen seems to be the only player who understands that you have a much better chance of scoring when a player is running backwards down the court rather than when the D is set.

Their offense more than ever is based on passing the ball to Bosh while he’s being double and triple teamed. Under Triano this problem has gotten worse not better. The Raptor’s ratio of uncontested to contested shots in any of their games is always a fraction of their opponents. They always seem to regress to playing one on one. Haven’t they ever heard of the two-man or three-man game.

Triano’s persistence at playing Jack at shooting guard with Calderone at point because it’s become fashionable fails to consider the limitations of his two point guards. When Jack plays shooting guard, no one bothers to cover him. When he gets the ball he’s often reluctant to shoot. Moreover, with Jack and Calderone on the floor, the Raptors get killed on defense particularly on perimeter shooting. Doesn’t Triano watch game films? How can he miss this? The fact that he uses this lineup when the Raptor’s are down but still in the game while keeping his best shooters on the bench is perplexing esp since it often leads to the game getting out of hand.

Under Triano, when a player finally gets hot and starts to make baskets, he’s taken out until he’s had a chance to cool down and they rarely stick with what’s working. Triano seems to follow a set formula on rotations irrespective of what’s happening in the game. Successful coaches (Stan Van Gundy is good counter example) always exploit who and what’s working until it stops. If a Raptor player starts to score, he might not touch the ball for the remainder of the game.

Triano should be playing DeRosen and Wheems much more. They’re both good athletes and despite the mistakes, the Raptors will get the most dividends from playing them as the season wears on. If the Raptors had Jennings on the Team, I guarantee he would be sitting on the bench most of the time. It seems counter intuitive to allow veterans to make endless mistakes and to pull the rookies off as soon as they make slips.

The only way Barg is effective is if he starts by hitting his long J. Whenever teams play the Raptors, they all defend them by crowding the middle. The Raptors have to spread the defense if Bosh is going to be successful. Sooner or later the Raptor’s management will have to accept that Barg can not play center. He’s just lacks the timing and catching abilities to grab contested rebounds and he can’t cover athletic centers.

Finally,the Raptors have several extremely weak players on defense (particularly Calderone, Barg and Belinelli) putting all three of them on the floor at the same time is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                        X