No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Ujiri the anti-Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how much of Denver's success is directly attributable to the presence of George Karl.

For some reason, I just can't see Denver's roster coached by Casey, doing very well.

Ujiri deserves credit, but so does Karl.

Comment

Or what if Casey's woes are due to the poorly constructed team he was given? Casey was applauded as a great hire in here and prior to coming to Toronto he was on top of the world.

Comment

Although applauded, Casey has yet to show he can manage an offense.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Although applauded, Casey has yet to show he can manage an offense.
          It's too big of a weakness for a head coach IMO.

Comment

If we remember well Casey was brought in to instill a defensive style/mindset and did tremendous his first year. Most in this forum were excited about what could be if the improvement continued. Not to be. What happened? The only major personnel change was Lowry and he was going to be an improvement on the much maligned Jose. Was it Lowry, did Casey slack off or change his style/emphasis or was there a BC effect on coaching (style and personnel usage)? Unfortunately we wont find out.

Comment

I wonder how much of Denver's success is directly attributable to the presence of George Karl.

For some reason, I just can't see Denver's roster coached by Casey, doing very well.

That is what i've been saying. Denver's team looks pretty mediocre on paper but when you watch them play it's a whole different story. George Carl has more to do with the success of that team then Ujiri even though i'd prefer Ujiri over Bc.

Comment

I totally agree. George Karl is a fantastic Coach who brings the best out of his players. Ujiri wouldn't have looked this good without Karl.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

If the Nuggets got hosed on the Melo deal we wouldn't be talking about how good Carl is and we wouldn't be talking about Ujiri.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    If the Nuggets got hosed on the Melo deal we wouldn't be talking about how good Carl is and we wouldn't be talking about Ujiri.
                    They probably would not have had the same kind of success but I think we would have talked about how good Karl and Ujiri are.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                      I totally agree. George Karl is a fantastic Coach who brings the best out of his players. Ujiri wouldn't have looked this good without Karl.
                      I'm not as tough on Karl as many in the analytics community are (the guy has been coaching for 30 years and has won a tonne of games, so he is doing something right) but I am in the club who believes Karl is a vastly overrated head coach. He has led 5, count'em 5, 50+ win teams to first round exits, including super-talented Seattle teams in the 90s (even a 60-win team!). His playoff history is atrocious and there is a pattern of his teams underperforming.

Comment

Just checked Ujiri's track record on:
                        http://www.basketball-reference.com/...jirima99x.html

People here have discussed the Melo-Drama already. Five other transactions that stood out for me:

June 23, 2011: Selected Kenneth Faried (1st round, 22nd pick) in the 2011 NBA Draft.
                        Wiki: “In the second week of the 2012–13 NBA season, the Maniamal won the Player of the Week award due to his aggressive playing style and offensive rebounds. On November 15, 2012, Faried set a new career high with 20 rebounds in a game against the Miami Heat.[11]” How could he slide to 22nd?! Great pick!!
                        June 23, 2011: As part of a 3-team trade, the Denver Nuggets traded Raymond Felton for Jordan Hamilton (SF: 2011 draft, 26th by Dallas) , Andre Miller and a future 2nd round draft pick
                        Ujiri turned Felton, an opportunistic PG, into a solid veteran – Miller, who provided the most needed leadership to the young Nuggets. One would argue that Felton is a better/younger player of the two (certainly for NY), but that’s not what the Nuggets needed back in June of 2011. Plus, Ujiri got a young prospect - freshly selected 1st rounder, Hamilton!
                        December 13, 2011: Traded a 2016 2nd round draft pick to the Dallas Mavericks for Corey Brewer and Rudy Fernandez.
                        A clear salary dump by the Mavs, but kudos to Ujiri for being opportunistic and snatching these two players before anybody else… essentially for nothing! Brewer has become a legit rotation player on a deep Nuggets roster. He would have easily become our starting SF prior to Rudy Gay trade! Wish BC has made this move... or maybe not; otherwise he could have still been our GM As for Rudy Fernandez (another former first round selection) – he has also played well for the Nuggets before suffering a season ending injury; could have been another asset if not for a season ending injury and a subsequent return to Europe.
                        June 28, 2012: Selected Evan Fournier (1st round, 20th pick), Quincy Miller (2nd round, 38th pick) and Izzet Turkyalamz (2nd round, 50th pick) in the 2012 NBA Draft.
                        I have not watched enough Denver games in order to have an opinion on Founier, but a quick review of his stats and the matter of fact that he has started all his four games these playoffs on a deep Nuggets team tells me he is another solid pick.
                        August 10, 2012: As part of a 4-team trade, the Denver Nuggets traded Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington and a 2014 1st round draft pick for Andre Iguodala
                        Simply a steal for the Nuggets! This move has probably given Ujiri the Executive of the Year award and took the 76rs a step back!

C'mon Ujiri, accept that 4 year/12M offer!!

Comment

The Faried pick was an excellent one, and one that shows that he knows how to construct a roster for the modern NBA. More and more teams are going to go with energetic and atheletic undersized centers (Anderson Varajao type) to go with elite shooters to spread the floor. With a lot of outside shooters, you get a lot of offensive rebound opportunities, so having a guy with a great motor to keep plays alive is a great strength. Faried might be the proto-typical NBA big man over the next decade (not saying he is the best, but that he fits the mold) and to get that type of value at 22 is great.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Not sure about that last transaction...2014 draft class promises to be one of the best and Iguodala may walk this year (give up his option). He did save on the cap though.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Not sure about that last transaction...2014 draft class promises to be one of the best and Iguodala may walk this year (give up his option). He did save on the cap though.
                              26th selection is a 26th selection, regardless how deep the draft class PROMISES to be... and anybody can walk any time - this is not a legit argument. Besides, why walk from a situation like this?! I guess that's the point of having a solid organization (and a GM) - you simply do not walk away from it; on the contrary, you take less money to stay there (ala Duncan, Nowitzki?)

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
                                Just checked Ujiri's track record on:
                                http://www.basketball-reference.com/...jirima99x.html

People here have discussed the Melo-Drama already. Five other transactions that stood out for me:

June 23, 2011: Selected Kenneth Faried (1st round, 22nd pick) in the 2011 NBA Draft.
                                Wiki: “In the second week of the 2012–13 NBA season, the Maniamal won the Player of the Week award due to his aggressive playing style and offensive rebounds. On November 15, 2012, Faried set a new career high with 20 rebounds in a game against the Miami Heat.[11]” How could he slide to 22nd?! Great pick!!
                                June 23, 2011: As part of a 3-team trade, the Denver Nuggets traded Raymond Felton for Jordan Hamilton (SF: 2011 draft, 26th by Dallas) , Andre Miller and a future 2nd round draft pick
                                Ujiri turned Felton, an opportunistic PG, into a solid veteran – Miller, who provided the most needed leadership to the young Nuggets. One would argue that Felton is a better/younger player of the two (certainly for NY), but that’s not what the Nuggets needed back in June of 2011. Plus, Ujiri got a young prospect - freshly selected 1st rounder, Hamilton!
                                December 13, 2011: Traded a 2016 2nd round draft pick to the Dallas Mavericks for Corey Brewer and Rudy Fernandez.
                                A clear salary dump by the Mavs, but kudos to Ujiri for being opportunistic and snatching these two players before anybody else… essentially for nothing! Brewer has become a legit rotation player on a deep Nuggets roster. He would have easily become our starting SF prior to Rudy Gay trade! Wish BC has made this move... or maybe not; otherwise he could have still been our GM As for Rudy Fernandez (another former first round selection) – he has also played well for the Nuggets before suffering a season ending injury; could have been another asset if not for a season ending injury and a subsequent return to Europe.
                                June 28, 2012: Selected Evan Fournier (1st round, 20th pick), Quincy Miller (2nd round, 38th pick) and Izzet Turkyalamz (2nd round, 50th pick) in the 2012 NBA Draft.
                                I have not watched enough Denver games in order to have an opinion on Founier, but a quick review of his stats and the matter of fact that he has started all his four games these playoffs on a deep Nuggets team tells me he is another solid pick.
                                August 10, 2012: As part of a 4-team trade, the Denver Nuggets traded Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington and a 2014 1st round draft pick for Andre Iguodala
                                Simply a steal for the Nuggets! This move has probably given Ujiri the Executive of the Year award and took the 76rs a step back!

C'mon Ujiri, accept that 4 year/12M offer!!
                                Nice contribution Vino.

Comment

Working...
                                X