Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Point I like to focus on ... beyond Gay being on the roster: Jonas is the future.

Our window as contenders can only happen when he is in his prime - and with the league going the way it is with 1-big lineups so often, it would seem wise to keep the dynamic young wing with a high ceiling ... rather than a blue collar big with payday coming a few years sooner (unlike Ross, who also has 4 years of rookie scale).

The Gay trade makes us a solid middle-tier East playoff team. The 'Jonas era' will incorporate whichever pieces fit the best.
    I could not agree with this post more.

If properly developed, Jonas has everything. Like a more mentally tough Pau Gasol with slightly less range but can run the floor. We will still need scorers, but he can be someone who you can really build around.

Comment

• no. i havent been the hugest fan of ross lately, but if he develops and becomes a consistent 3 point threat, then good enough for me. raptors really need one besides streaky JL/AA/super lucky telfair shots/one in 15 games DD 3 pointer, and all the horrible rudy gay attempts ugh.

Comment

• This is a pretty good question.

If Ed had not been traded, Bargnani may have possibly been dealt. I sure as hell like Amir and Ed better than Amir and Bargs. But, Ross can end up being so good, I think we are probably going to be happy that Davis was dealt instead of him.

Comment

• No for me, reasons being ...

- Ed Davis will be in the final year of his rookie deal while Ross will be in his 2nd

- Ross has pure athleticism & a quick first step

- Ed Davis can still only go left

- Without Jose, it's not like Ed Davis will be spoon fed & truth be told, for the most part, he needs to be spoon fed looks around the rim

- I see Ross with a higher upside (overall game) than DeRozan because of his shooting stroke and defensive potential. He's a more explosive athlete and has the lateral quickness.

- Having said that, Ed was my favorite Raptor at the time. He's just too boss. I wish we traded Alan Anderson instead of him.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
            Point I like to focus on ... beyond Gay being on the roster: Jonas is the future.

Our window as contenders can only happen when he is in his prime - and with the league going the way it is with 1-big lineups so often, it would seem wise to keep the dynamic young wing with a high ceiling ... rather than a blue collar big with payday coming a few years sooner (unlike Ross, who also has 4 years of rookie scale).

The Gay trade makes us a solid middle-tier East playoff team. The 'Jonas era' will incorporate whichever pieces fit the best.
            +1

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
              I could not agree with this post more.

If properly developed, Jonas has everything. Like a more mentally tough Pau Gasol with slightly less range but can run the floor. We will still need scorers, but he can be someone who you can really build around.
              I think that'll come; his form on his free throws is very nice.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                PFs and PGs are pebbles on a beach you can find them everywhere.
                It is very hard to find a pebble worth keeping though.

Comment

• I said no. As much as I loved Ed Davis on the raptors, Terrence Ross has some mad potential. If he begins developing like Paul George I'd go as far as to ship derozan with bargnani for another big piece.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    Absolutely not.

Trading Davis means Colangelo can't extend him for 10-15 mil more than he's worth next year.
                    +1

Comment

• colef5 wrote: View Post
                      If it was possible, would you go back in time and trade Terrence Ross with Calderon in the place of Ed Davis?
                      I think I would, to be honest. I think Ross will be a solid bench guard at best, and Davis I would imagine would be a good energy big off the bench who is an above average rebounder. As well, I don't think he'll command the money that a high flying scorer like Ross would ask for, despite Ross not even being that good.
                      Finally, Davis plays a position and a role I think is more valuable now and in the long run.

What do you guys think? Are you all high on Ross or perhaps BC made a mistake?
                      I wish we kept ED and traded Ross instead. To be honest i wish we picked Drummond instead of Ross.

ED was further along in his development and he was our best rebounder. Imagine having Ed around to grab Rudy's misses.......Also I loved the chemistry between Amir and Ed. Ross gets 16 min a game and is stuck behind AA, RG, DD and even LF. To me it didnt make sense BUT Memphis' GM is no moron......maybe they demanded ED!?

Comment

• The Ed and Amir tandem down low was awesome, especially because they were so good at getting the ball to one another in traffic, and their high-low was solid. Ed was our best rebounder, and no doubt had so much room to grow defensively (strength-wise, and help-side) and offensively (varied post-game, improvement of jump-shot).

Ed - this season - has brought far more than Ross has. As much as people believe he has great potential, and could be a solid player/asset for us in the future, Ed was one of those rare players that are contributing now, and will later on.

Talk about him being on the final year of his rookie deal, I seriously think he wouldn't have been overpaid as a player. I won't throw numbers out on the spot, but I would certainly pay the price for this guy.

Not too sure we can go out and find another power forward as good, or with as high potential that Ed has, like Matt said:

It is very hard to find a pebble worth keeping though.
                        You can definitely find a point guard, or a power forward in the market, question is do they fit? Are they good? And how can they help us not just now, but further into our future.

Now, if Ross got more playing time, than my tune might change, but I would have included Ross to get Gay. Ross doesn't look like he will get playing time this season (unless injury, or Casey stops being an idiot) and it looks like he will have some trouble getting consistency in the rotation next season.

I don't know, this is - in my opinion - a somewhat premature question, because Ed is barely playing in Memphis (when he has played, shown great stuff) and likewise for Ross. This is another question that should take some time. BUT, if the question was given today, or I was given the opportunity to make a change, I would definitely plug Ross in over Davis.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Well, I was one of the few guys that said yes.

Fundamentally-sound big men will be come rarity. If you're in high school and you're 6'8", you aren't taught post moves anymore. Your're taught how to handle the ball better, extending your jumpshooting range, but nothing in the post. Take Julius Randle for example...he has no post game whatsoever, yet he can shoot and dribble, and he's still a top 5 recruit this year.

Players like Ed, who have nice post games and can rebound well, will become extinct. Ed can take these guys to the post on the offensive end, and win the battle every time. He's established he can do this already, and he would be dominant in 3 or 4 years when the lightweight high school big men enter the league.

I definitely would've liked to see Ross go over Ed...Ross is definitely more replaceable. Athletic guards who can shoot are not hard to come by anymore. I'd rather have these guys, than "potential" that personally, I have not seen.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            Well, I was one of the few guys that said yes.

Fundamentally-sound big men will be come rarity. If you're in high school and you're 6'8", you aren't taught post moves anymore. Your're taught how to handle the ball better, extending your jumpshooting range, but nothing in the post. Take Julius Randle for example...he has no post game whatsoever, yet he can shoot and dribble, and he's still a top 5 recruit this year.

Players like Ed, who have nice post games and can rebound well, will become extinct. Ed can take these guys to the post on the offensive end, and win the battle every time. He's established he can do this already, and he would be dominant in 3 or 4 years when the lightweight high school big men enter the league.

I definitely would've liked to see Ross go over Ed...Ross is definitely more replaceable. Athletic guards who can shoot are not hard to come by anymore. I'd rather have these guys, than "potential" that personally, I have not seen.
                            I definitely agree with the bolded above. You're going to be able to find those players - athleticism, shooting range - whether in the draft, trade, free agency. Maybe the potential is what separates him, but Ed is a player who brings that typical big man output to the table.
                            Talking about the direction of the small lineups, quicker players in the NBA? Ed definitely fits in that category. Very capable of playing as the smaller 5, because he has quick jumping abilities - arguably one of the better players from getting from the ground, to the hoop - and athletic for his size. Also, he's a very long player.

Maybe Terrence Ross will prove me wrong, hell, I sure hope he does, but not trading Ross instead of Ed might be a negative/positive down the road, and I sure as hell wouldn't plug him as 'untouchable.'

Untouchables in honest opinion has buckled down to: Gay, JV, and Amir.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ugggghhhh, nothing more to say than, Ross will make all y'all eat your words. Its a wait and see, but Ross is going to own this league one day.

I wonder if fans remember the Tracy Mcgrady fellow... the young athletic wing with lazy eyes, the one we dropped right before his absolute evisceration of every teams defense.

If we miss out on Demar and Ross in their primes, just like we missed McGrady and Carter in their primes, Id finally give credence to the old adage that History repeats itself.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                I definitely agree with the bolded above. You're going to be able to find those players - athleticism, shooting range - whether in the draft, trade, free agency. Maybe the potential is what separates him, but Ed is a player who brings that typical big man output to the table.
                                Talking about the direction of the small lineups, quicker players in the NBA? Ed definitely fits in that category. Very capable of playing as the smaller 5, because he has quick jumping abilities - arguably one of the better players from getting from the ground, to the hoop - and athletic for his size. Also, he's a very long player.

Maybe Terrence Ross will prove me wrong, hell, I sure hope he does, but not trading Ross instead of Ed might be a negative/positive down the road, and I sure as hell wouldn't plug him as 'untouchable.'

Untouchables in honest opinion has buckled down to: Gay, JV, and Amir.
                                Amir untouchable?

Comment

Working...
                                X