Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INFO wrote: View Post
    i hate the word re-tooling
    It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.
    Using the word rebuilding is a big no-no in pro sports. It scares away ticketbuyers. No smart GM is ever going to say he is rebuilding because he still needs to bring fans into the arena. The GMs job is not just to build a winning team, but to fill the arena as much as possible.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
      What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
      Nicely Said.
      BC has failed over and over during the past few years. There is not even one trade or signing that has made sense and all his moves were unfocused and lack a real direction.

He can write as many letter as he wants and try to spread false hopes in Raptor land and hope some will fall again for his lies BUT true Raptor fans know him well now.

He will not be behind the total rebuild of this team. He will not do it the right way because then it means ( in his egotistic mind) that he was defeated.

He will waste more money and will create more news just trying to extend his gig here in Toronto. The real looser at the end are the Toronto Raptor fans.

BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
        BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.
        Enough with the firing as the solution to all our problems. At least propose someone (not Pritchard, who will probably not get a GM offer for at least a year after his debacle) who you think can turn the organization around. The alternative is not automatically better than BC.

Comment

The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
          Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
            The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
            I agree BIG TIME! After pulling off the moves he did last summer, 95% of all people bashing the guy now thought he was a super genius and now he's the world biggest idiot? He made some moves that clearly didn't work out, but they very easily could have and you'd all be back to being right up the man's butt just like before.

Comment

The one and only thing I disagree with BC is in his faith in Andrea developing into something more, because the more we wait and see, the more we keep on losing and sucking defensively. I know it's not his fault alone, but with him having more deficiencies, BC maybe should have tried to complement BARGS rather than Bosh.

We can blame BC, we can blame Bosh, but let's not forget, we can also blame CANADA. Yeah you bet that factored in which free agents were willing to even consider playing for the Raps. So all these free agents are available, but they actually have to WANT to play for your team, and that works against our favor.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Using the word rebuilding is a big no-no in pro sports. It scares away ticketbuyers.
                And corporate sponsors.

Comment

cornbreadd wrote: View Post
                  Kind of sounds like BC is trying to deflect some of the blame onto Bosh for his crap free-agent signings
                  Pretty much that is what a Suit does when he gets backed into a corner. A samurai would allow the blame go all to him and save his entire team, then stab himself in the torso to complete the process.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
                    The one and only thing I disagree with BC is in his faith in Andrea developing into something more, because the more we wait and see, the more we keep on losing and sucking defensively. I know it's not his fault alone, but with him having more deficiencies, BC maybe should have tried to complement BARGS rather than Bosh.

We can blame BC, we can blame Bosh, but let's not forget, we can also blame CANADA. Yeah you bet that factored in which free agents were willing to even consider playing for the Raps. So all these free agents are available, but they actually have to WANT to play for your team, and that works against our favor.
                    The only blame is on BC and on some of us fans that two years ago a lot of us did not fully understand what it really takes to make a functional NBA team.

Talent is very important, yes, but it is how the skill sets match on the court and also how well the teammates like each other or at least tolerate each other, including the coaches. BC terribly neglected those little factors and the S@#% hit the fan big-time.

Comment

Forum members,

Consider the political situation Bryan Colangelo faces: he's employed by MLSE, a Canadian company with a Canadian owner, doing business in Canada. It's the only surviving team in Canada - lest we not forget the fate of that other Canadian franchise!

I think it's conceivable he walked into a situation as follows. First, the Rob Babcockness of the team. Babcock drafted Bosh. After he (Babcock) architected the worst deal I've ever seen to send VC packing, Bosh becomes the new face of the franchise - BY DEFAULT, not because he was a legitimate star. Bosh gets treated like a star; the ownership starts kissing his ass; he becomes the centre of the offense by default, and he develops into a better than average PF with Mitchell riding his ass daily (Mitchell and English deserve a TON of credit for Bosh's development). Not suprisingly the team continues to suck, and Babcock loses the job.

Enter BryCo - great improvement on the GM side. Additions of Ford, Parker and Garbajosa, IMO, we're brilliant. (To this day, Ford has also not been giving enough credit for the impact he had on this franchise!). Everyone in MLSE, including the fans, were over-selling BryCo on the fact that Bosh was the centrepiece; the franchise player. I just have this feeling - a suspicion if you will - that BryCo wasn't sold on Bosh. I CERTAINLY HAVE NEVER FELT BOSH WAS EVEN HALF THE PLAYER CARTER WAS; he just had a better off court personality. Bryco probably didn't fire Mitchell or trade Bosh right away - that was rockin' the boat too much; he'd already come in and changed a lot.

BryCo finally got his wish and got rid of Mitchell (tough political move given Mitchell's popularity in the franchise) and then made the biggest mistake of his career in TO by hiring Triano as his replacement (again, a political move to keep his Canadian boss happy, SOME fans happy (NOT ME!), and Chris Bosh - soft coach for a soft "franchise" player).

Then the terror of last summer - this talk of trying to surround Bosh with his buddies and all the other BS angling to try to keep Bosh happy. WTF? Did anybody ever honestly think Bosh was going to bring us the trophy????? To me, BryCo clearly had drunk the kool aid, and I started to worry. Under the guise of some truly impressive wheeling and dealing - unloading Kapono, picking up Hedo and Jarret - he clearly was comitting to Bosh and I was panicking!

In the end, I couldn't be happier that everything blew up in their faces. Bosh is not a winner; he's a goofy, nerdy, gangly guy who will never be good enough to be "the man" or one of "the mans" in the NBA, period.

So why do I still support BryCo? Because I think he's known this all along. The problem I have with BryCo is that he needs bigger balls. I think he has good instincts for building purely offensive, entertaining teams, but he needs to better act on those instincts and stop playing cowardly politics with Bosh, Triano and MLSE.

Bryan Colangelo,

Here's your chance Bryan. The nightmare that was Chris Bosh is gone. Too bad it wasn't on your terms. All said, you're smart enough and saavy enough to build a better team. You had the right ideas when you came in - but somewhere along the way, it feels like you chickened out a bit, and tried to keep others at MLSE happy at the expense of your vision and better judgment.

I hope you have the balls to get rid of Triano, and get this team a proper coach; an experienced, talented coach who will follow you and challenge you and the players too! I'm talking about the Avery Johnsons, Larry Browns, Byron Scotts, Scott Skiles, Jeff Van Gundy's of the league. You can't spend enough on the coach -- it's the most crucial piece for a young, developing team.

I wish you good fortune, hard work, and I continue to support you. I still maintain we're lucky to have you as GM in Toronto!
                      "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                      ~Rorschach

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                        Pretty much that is what a Suit does when he gets backed into a corner. A samurai would allow the blame go all to him and save his entire team, then stab himself in the torso to complete the process.
                        That is probably why there are not any samurai any more.

Comment

I think BC is a good poker player. Knows the rules well, knows key persons around NBA, willing to take risk when needed, hes good at relations and on paper works. but, BUT, He knows basketball as far as "a poker player " can. He should have known better? not necessarily. His biggest and fatal error was his coach choice (at least it was not the right time for Triano)
                          Last edited by Vellassco; Sat Jul 10, 2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I think below speech is fitting toraps style more than triano's ,esp considering how passionate raps fan are.

Cavs coach Byron Scott, who accepted the job last month not knowing if James would be on his roster, said he liked what (Cavs owner Dan) Gilbert said.

"He showed last night his passion to win," Scott said at a news conference at Cleveland Clinic Courts, the team's state-of-the-art $25 million training facility Gilbert built not far from James' home. "He wants to win. That's the bottom line. I want an owner like that. I want an owner who will sit in our corner, who wants to win basketball games and wants to win championships. I love that about him. I'm still very, very excited about this team and the situation that I'm in.

"I came to work this morning with a big smile on my face knowing I was getting ready for a big season."

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                              What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!
                              Agree. Big props to BC for getting the best possible assets he can obtain from the heat, especially since their cupboard was bare. I hope BC goes after Udonis Haslem, good tough veteran player who plays good defence and it would certainly screw over the Heat (as Dwade loves Haslem).

Comment

...are all of you too young or too blind to recall what occurred during the VC trade days.

VC's stock was at an alltime low. Few wanted the guy. 99% of TO fans wanted him out. If you don't recall how bad it actually was, just go back and try to search the sports-headlines. When the VC trade trade occurred, people were happy. Not b/c we got back anything, but b/c we got rid of that #### Vince.

Seriously - hindsight is 20/20. Backcock was garbage, but at the time VC had so little value it was incredible. Babcock did terribly, however we weren't going to get much more than what Babcock had received.

Flash forward to BC's moves. Again...people are looking back in hindsight but the majority of people liked the majority of BC's moves.

I see people complain about BC changing 75% of the team every year. I also see people complain when he tries to luck up guys for 5 years (such as what he is doing, did with the MLE every year, etc..).

One can question whether you agree with whom he decides to lock up long term...but not neccesarily that he is purposely trying to change 75% of the team year-over-year.

Its obvious that he is overpaying a touch. Why? Uhmm...this is how you keep talent happy. If they are happy, they are more likely to try to perform to the next level. He also likes to lock up players who he believes will be getting better (and thus lock them in for currently above mkt wages, but hopefully in a year or two it will be way below as they deserve higher wages. Given how well he has treated them in the past and stuck with them though, this gives him goodwill and they will still perform until the next contract. It makes complete sense.)

You can't argue both sides. Come on folks...take a step back.

Comment

Working...
                                X