2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    I hate Doug Smith, I hate him -- but he was right. The NBA ASG is a huge HUGE money grab and things need to be right for them to have come here. The hotel situation has boomed significantly (see Ritz-Carleton) in the last few years which helps a lot, and the MTCC had been in dire need of some serious renovations for years. That finally happened a couple years back, likely to save themselves of any embarrassment during G7/G20.

Accessibility to MTCC has always been an issue. Keep in mind this is mid to end of February in Canada. For you and I, a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes is not a big deal but from the perspective of silly Americans? That's 10 minutes walking in the cold tundra. Yes it's linked to the subway but it's still not easy to get to. Lots of twists and turns and the PATH isn't always easy to navigate through. Even to this day I have to check the map once in awhile and I've been working downtown for the past 12 years.

Again, I still think this is a major coup for the City of Toronto.. it's huge for us. I just wouldn't harp on Doug Smith. The reasons he gave for us not ever landing the ASG were legit. I give big props to Tim Leiweke for pulling this off.
    Plus isn't the Auto Show usually around the ASG? Not sure where they will go, but usually they get the MTCC at around that time. And I believe Doug brought that point up as well at one point.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      No love for Aaron Gordon? He's definitely a dark horse.
      He is by far youngest of draft prospects. Still 17 I believe. Everything I've read about him is the never ending tweener debate.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        He is by far youngest of draft prospects. Still 17 I believe. Everything I've read about him is the never ending tweener debate.

But at 17 that's not a bad thing. He's not even done growing yet, plenty of time to improve his perimeter game or Beef up. Worst case scenario(lesser versions of) as a 4 he plays like blake Griffin, as a 3 he plays like Rudy Gay. Not a bad deal to have on a rookie contract for 4 years.

Altough i'll admit right away, i'm biased he's my favorite player in the draft this year.

Comment

Keep it on Topic fellas.

I'm sure there's a Draft 2014 thread out there somewhere.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Plus isn't the Auto Show usually around the ASG? Not sure where they will go, but usually they get the MTCC at around that time. And I believe Doug brought that point up as well at one point.
            I think the Auto Show might be a couple of weeks before. Last year it was the Feb 14 weekend.

According to Wiki they average about 300,000 people each year. That must be more than the NBA is expecting, right? Also the Auto Show is a full week isn't it? The difference being that there are probably a lot less people flying in (and staying overnight) in Toronto for the Auto Show. I read somewhere that the NBA requires 6000 hotel rooms as a minimum requirement. We probably couldn't do that until recently.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

With Toronto's luck they'll end up hosting it with not a single Raptor even making the team lol I hope that doesn't happen though.
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                With Toronto's luck they'll end up hosting it with not a single Raptor even making the team lol I hope that doesn't happen though.
                Maybe with Toronto's luck....

.... but with Tim Leiweke's luck the Raptors will pull a 2005/06 Detroit with 4/5 of the starting lineup on the all-star team!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Maybe with Toronto's luck....

.... but with Tim Leiweke's luck the Raptors will pull a 2005/06 Detroit with 4/5 of the starting lineup on the all-star team!
                  Fingers crossed man lol
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's an ASG rule that at least one home team player will be involved in the weekend. But as far as the game itself goes, as it stands we won't have one unless someone *drastically* improves.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

Comment

phez wrote: View Post

Comment

can someone explain to me why david stern was not at the press conference today? i no he is retiring but he was a the Knicks 2015 allstar press conference about a week ago, why wasnt in toronto?
                          Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Comment

TorontoRaptors4Eva wrote: View Post
                            can someone explain to me why david stern was not at the press conference today? i no he is retiring but he was a the Knicks 2015 allstar press conference about a week ago, why wasnt in toronto?
                            Because NBA head offices are in New York I am speculating.

Silver is the real man right now, make no question about it. Stern is nothing but a sounding board and fountain of advice.

As Stern recently said (paraphrased), "Silver has been working with me for 22 years... that is quite the grooming."

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I'm pretty sure there's an ASG rule that at least one home team player will be involved in the weekend. But as far as the game itself goes, as it stands we won't have one unless someone *drastically* improves.
                              I don't think Rudy Gay has to "Drastically" improve to make it in..
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X