The Unofficial Buyout/Late-Season Signing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    He was worth a second-rounder during the season so that's doubtful. Sign-and-trades are, historically, lousy to return as compared to actual trades.
    Yeah but he was also an RFA. So if a team wanted him bad enough, Philly could have matched. So they had leverage in negotiations. Either way this was a way to get above the salary floor, get worse immediately (to help their tank position) and still maintain flexibility. I guess technically it worked out for them. Just think that they could have gotten way more than the #59th pick from the draft. I mean wouldn't you rather have Turner than Salmons? Could have given them OKC's pick as well. I just think Turner's value in the summer would be higher than some Euro-stash.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Either way this was a way to get above the salary floor, get worse immediately (to help their tank position) and still maintain flexibility. I guess technically it worked out for them.
      Exactly what I said above..
      Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

Yeah but he was also an RFA. So if a team wanted him bad enough, Philly could have matched. So they had leverage in negotiations. Either way this was a way to get above the salary floor, get worse immediately (to help their tank position) and still maintain flexibility. I guess technically it worked out for them. Just think that they could have gotten way more than the #59th pick from the draft. I mean wouldn't you rather have Turner than Salmons? Could have given them OKC's pick as well. I just think Turner's value in the summer would be higher than some Euro-stash.
        Salmons is a much better defender and hits the 3. The answer to your question is not as simple as raw numbers would suggest. The market has said that Turner is only worth a second rounder. Turner may have more future potential, but this deal tells me Philly knew him well enough they probably would not have matched if he would have gotten any decent RFA offer.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          There are a lot of useful guys that will be available. I really hope that De Colo was a prelude to cutting Stone and adding a Kaman or the like. We are way too small for the playoffs.
          I read somewhere that there were teams kicking tires with Stone and Buycks. Masai essentially turned away all offers. As for some reinforcements, I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't go after Kaman. I'm afraid that when JV falters in the playoffs and the opposition goes big that we don't have anyone to back him up properly. Hayes is too short and the team as it is getting killed in rebounds. The only thing I could think of is that in the playoffs, perhaps teams would go small more so than big to pick up the pace of an otherwise grinding playoff basketball.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Philly basically traded Turner for a second rounder. Turner and Allen were both expiring as well (they could have just renounced their rights). It was really a bad trade for them. A 2nd rounder from Indiana? Might have just kept Turner. I'm sure he could have been worth something in a s&t in the off season.

I guess they just really wanted to tank hard.
            This is such a grab for Indiana that should make the other GM's like Masai cry foul. Evan Turner is primed to replace Stephenson and I really don't think that they can afford LS at 10 - 12 / year. This trade is fantastic for Indiana in more ways than one.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              This is such a grab for Indiana that should make the other GM's like Masai cry foul. Evan Turner is primed to replace Stephenson and I really don't think that they can afford LS at 10 - 12 / year. This trade is fantastic for Indiana in more ways than one.
              Ya it's crazy when the rich just have gifts like that thrown into their laps.

I don't see any of the buyout guys coming here, I think if you're getting paid double and you know you'll be coming off the bench you're going somewhere that has a very legit chance of winning it all (Heat, Clippers, Spurs, OKC, etc.). But I still don't see a point in having 5 PG on the roster, someone needs to be let go or sent down.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                Ya it's crazy when the rich just have gifts like that thrown into their laps.

I don't see any of the buyout guys coming here, I think if you're getting paid double and you know you'll be coming off the bench you're going somewhere that has a very legit chance of winning it all (Heat, Clippers, Spurs, OKC, etc.). But I still don't see a point in having 5 PG on the roster, someone needs to be let go or sent down.
                If the buyout is in the works, I don't see Granger coming in for a vet minimum (pro-rated). Even if he does, it disrupts the chemistry of the team as it pertains to the Ross / Salmons dynamics. I think Ross will shine defensively in the playoffs where it all matters (here's hoping).

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  If the buyout is in the works, I don't see Granger coming in for a vet minimum (pro-rated). Even if he does, it disrupts the chemistry of the team as it pertains to the Ross / Salmons dynamics. I think Ross will shine defensively in the playoffs where it all matters (here's hoping).
                  Granger is not coming here, that's guaranteed. The guy will get offers from teams like the Heat and the Clippers and possibly Thunder and Grizzlies. I really want him to go the Heat to spite the Pacers.

Comment

For the remainder of the season this is what we should do

Sign both Earl Clark and Reggie Evans for the remainder of the season, waive Bycks and we have a roster of

Lowry/Vazquez/Stone
                    DeRozan/Salmons/Colo
                    Ross/Clark/Fields
                    Amir/2Pat/Novak
                    Val/R.Evans/Hayes

E.Clark will find his rotation as our 6th or 7th man and when playoff comes around, he will contribute right away if one of DeRozan or Ross is injured. I like Clark's game when he played for the Lakers, a stretch 4 but a natural at the 3 position, able to guard smaller 3 in this league not named LBJ, P.George, or Melo. I hope R.Evans gets waived by the Kings since they have Quincy Acy, let's grab him and be our backup C behind Val, he brings interior D and mental toughness for the Raptors consider he once played for us and reached his career high in rebounds and points

Comment

I guess you didn't watch Clark after that very short stretch with the Lakers, it hasn't been pretty. He is not a sixth/seventh man...especially when we have Patterson..

Comment

And I don't think the Kings waive Evans. Evans isn't generally a complainer and they may want his grit around the team.

Comment

Also I don't see why anyone would want Evans on this team. We don't lack rebounding. We have Tyler (as a banger). Our bigs are generally not soft. And all our bigs are far more useful offensively than Evans ever could hope to be...

Evans is a natural PF, too small to play C, and ok, but nothing special as a defender.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            For the remainder of the season this is what we should do

Sign both Earl Clark and Reggie Evans for the remainder of the season, waive Bycks and we have a roster of

Lowry/Vazquez/Stone
                            DeRozan/Salmons/Colo
                            Ross/Clark/Fields
                            Amir/2Pat/Novak
                            Val/R.Evans/Hayes

E.Clark will find his rotation as our 6th or 7th man and when playoff comes around, he will contribute right away if one of DeRozan or Ross is injured. I like Clark's game when he played for the Lakers, a stretch 4 but a natural at the 3 position, able to guard smaller 3 in this league not named LBJ, P.George, or Melo. I hope R.Evans gets waived by the Kings since they have Quincy Acy, let's grab him and be our backup C behind Val, he brings interior D and mental toughness for the Raptors consider he once played for us and reached his career high in rebounds and points
                            Wow. I don't even know where to start.

Sign Clark so he can be our 6th or 7th man? Earl Clark is garbage. Guy couldn't even get any playing time in Cleveland!!

And oh, Chuck Hayes > Reggie Evans. Your description of Evans actually fits Hayes more.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

In fairness to Clark, he was a 4 being played as a 3 in Cleveland and his game suffered for it. He's not a bad bench guy at all, but we don't need another 3/4 combo forward, we're good there.

Metta is apparently trying to get a buyout from New York and he would be a great backup 3 for us, even at this point in his career.

Comment

Metta. World. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X