This lost once again is on Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    One issue I've had with Raptors coaches, going back at least to Smitch (if not farther back), is that they always seem to be reactive in their lineup adjustments. Raptors coaches always seem to respond to strategic lineups (ie: Philly going small), rather than taking the initiative and proactively forcing other teams to react to our lineup strategies.
    Hmmm, so three coaches in a row, all different in style and approach, all seem to have the same problem. Maybe, just maybe, there might be something else at play? Are there any common denominators that all 3 coaches have had to deal with? Might those factors provide an answer?

Comment

As much as I would have liked to see him get some minutes, Casey is right about matching up; when they are playing Dorrell Wright and Thaddeus Young as the Center, then that means Jonas would be spending the majority of his time covering them out at the 3 point line. NOT a good situation to be in with a slow footed 7 footer.

And I'm not sure Jonas would have been able to take advantage of the mismatch 'every time down' on the offensive end, in order to justify having him out there.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Hmmm, so three coaches in a row, all different in style and approach, all seem to have the same problem. Maybe, just maybe, there might be something else at play? Are there any common denominators that all 3 coaches have had to deal with? Might those factors provide an answer?
        The root couldn't possibly be the problem.

You just cut the head off the dandelion and its gone forever. Right?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Oh you're preaching to the choir if you're hinting at a lack of talent overall on the roster, but leaving it at that would be letting coaches (past and present) off the hook far too easily.

Last night the Raps were in the bonus and were faced with a team that went small. I would have posted up or driven hard to the hoop every single possession, either taking advantage of matchups (ie: height advantages) and/or looking to draw contact to live at the line (poor FT shooting is definitely on the players). If any player took a jumpshot from outside of about 8', I would've benched him!

Yes the team does not have playoff caliber talent, but that's still not an excuse for poor coaching that isn't capable of adapting the team's gameplan to exploit the opportunities that present themselves... especially when Philly already beat us the same way less than a month ago!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            As much as I would have liked to see him get some minutes, Casey is right about matching up; when they are playing Dorrell Wright and Thaddeus Young as the Center, then that means Jonas would be spending the majority of his time covering them out at the 3 point line. NOT a good situation to be in with a slow footed 7 footer.

And I'm not sure Jonas would have been able to take advantage of the mismatch 'every time down' on the offensive end, in order to justify having him out there.
            Thaddeus Young is not a 3 pt shooter - he's hit 0 this year, 1 last year and 6 the year before that. If he wants to fire 3s late in the game, I'd give him that shot over and over.

If the concern is a slow footed 7fter guarding the perimeter, exactly how does Bargnani improve that situation?

At the very least Jonas could have used his size to his advantage on offense, and grabbed a rebound or two at both the offensive and defensive end.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              Thaddeus Young is not a 3 pt shooter - he's hit 0 this year, 1 last year and 6 the year before that. If he wants to fire 3s late in the game, I'd give him that shot over and over.

If the concern is a slow footed 7fter guarding the perimeter, exactly how does Bargnani improve that situation?

At the very least Jonas could have used his size to his advantage on offense, and grabbed a rebound or two at both the offensive and defensive end.
              Not defending Bargnani, but I would rather have put Valanciunas in for Amir last night. I would then go inside constantly on offense, exploiting the height advantage mismatch against Philly's smaller lineup, ideally forcing them to foul (since we were in the bonus so early in the 4th). With one of them posting up and the other in for offensive rebounding (again, exploiting the mismatch), I think Casey (or at least, a good coach) could have exploited Philly's smaller lineup proactively.

Comment

And Dorrell Wright..? Who was the one actually playing the 5 last night.

For all his shortcomings, Bargnani has better foot-speed and lateral movement than Jonas.

Don't disagree with this.
                But I guess he felt Amir could do just as well (especially considering his MONSTER 4th quarter the other night), while offering a better chance of staying in front of his man.

I'm not saying it was the right decision by Casey. Just saying its easy to say you'd do something different; we still don't know if that would have changed the outcome.

I think Casey (or at least, a good coach) could have exploited Philly's smaller lineup proactively.
                Are we seriously resorting to saying Casey is a BAD coach?
                Last edited by Joey; Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

And Dorrell Wright..? Who was the one actually playing the 5 last night.

For all his shortcomings, Bargnani has better foot-speed and lateral movement than Jonas.

Don't disagree with this.
                  But I guess he felt Amir could do just as well (especially considering his MONSTER 4th quarter the other night), while offering a better chance of staying in front of his man.

I'm not saying it was the right decision by Casey. Just saying its easy to say you'd do something different; we still don't know if that would have changed the outcome.
                  How do you come to that conclusion? Young was the one inside on offense while Wright was doing what he always does, stands in the corner. On defense Wright covered Bargnani for a play or two and then Richardson switched on to him. When Amir fouled out, Young moved to Bargnani.

Comment

How do you come to that conclusion? Young was the one inside on offense while Wright was doing what he always does, stands in the corner. On defense Wright covered Bargnani for a play or two and then Richardson switched on to him. When Amir fouled out, Young moved to Bargnani.
                    Just what I caught, as Wright is the bigger body, but perhaps you are right.
                    Besides, in that situation, they're both just playing Forward.

And either way, both players are perimeter players, and Casey felt Bargs and Dom could do it better.

“He could have come in in Amir’s situation (after Johnson fouled out) but I thought we needed some shooting on the floor with those small guys. We went with Andrea on the floor at the five, which sometimes we do.

“I thought JV did an excellent job in the first half when they were big … so I felt like Andrea was a better fit to go against Dorell Wright or Thaddeus Young.”

Comment

How can you possibly say Bargnani has more quickness than JV?????
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Are we seriously resorting to saying Casey is a BAD coach?
                        Jury is out, but I'm definitely not as excited with Casey as I was last season. Yes the talent to work with is thin, but some of his decisions have been mind-boggling. I also don't understand how a coach who refuses to play rookies (JV in the 4th, Ross at all) is the right fit for a team in (re)building mode. I don't care what anybody said about hoping to make the playoffs this season, but the truth is this is still a young team that should be focussing on player development, not dishing out minutes to players like McGuire, Anderson and Lucas. Based solely on his lineup management and continued failure to correctly react (let alone his failure to be proactive) to lineup moves made by the opposition, I would defintely argue that Casey is in the bottom half (at least) in the league when it comes to coaching, which I would say is fair to call "bad" (and is in line with that preseason survey of coaches).

Comment

I'm giving Casey a pass for this reason:

He is trying to run his systems (both offensive and defensive) with key players that are not suited for his systems.

Casey is trying to mix oil and water with extremely frustrating results.

#tradeBargnani

Comment

Casey has been terrible dating to last season. Starting Rasual Butler. Playing Bargnani for 30 something odd minutes after returning from his calf strain and then he re-aggravates it. Playing Jamaal Magloire (terrible FT shooter) at the end of the game who then misses his free throws. Subbing in Rasual Butler just to inbound the ball. Replacing Bayless (who was playing really well as a starter) in the starting lineup with Calderon (who is fragile and has had many injuries in past seasons) who was just coming off an ankle sprain when the season was pretty much over. The list goes on.

I guess people just didn't care as much about what he did because they were expected to be one of the worst teams in the league.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              How can you possibly say Bargnani has more quickness than JV?????
                              Because I believe it to be the truth.

Comment

Jury is out, but I'm definitely not as excited with Casey as I was last season. Yes the talent to work with is thin, but some of his decisions have been mind-boggling. I also don't understand how a coach who refuses to play rookies (JV in the 4th, Ross at all) is the right fit for a team in (re)building mode. I don't care what anybody said about hoping to make the playoffs this season, but the truth is this is still a young team that should be focussing on player development, not dishing out minutes to players like McGuire, Anderson and Lucas. Based solely on his lineup management and continued failure to correctly react (let alone his failure to be proactive) to lineup moves made by the opposition, I would defintely argue that Casey is in the bottom half (at least) in the league when it comes to coaching, which I would say is fair to call "bad" (and is in line with that preseason survey of coaches).
                                Big + 1

Comment

Working...
                                X