• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would rather have biyombo at the 3
    ya dun noe

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
      The thing that separates Biyombo from other African prospects like Sene, Mbenga, Alabi, etc. to me is his raw athleticism and fluidity (at least from watching YouTube). He doesn't just jog stiffly down the court like you would expect. He sprints a la Joakim Noah and has that Amare quick explosiveness. Not to mention his arms are like hockey sticks... I think the worst-case scenario for him is a foul-prone Joel Anthony, and I can't even imagine the best-case scenario. Ben Wallace? Alonzo Mourning?
      +1. On top of that everything I've read about him basically says he's gym rat, great leader and hustles on every play. He's like a much for natually gifted version of Amir, his potential is through the roof. I don't see why everything thinks "it's too high" to draft him. He has everything we need right now + all the stuff I said above.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        +1. On top of that everything I've read about him basically says he's gym rat, great leader and hustles on every play. He's like a much for natually gifted version of Amir, his potential is through the roof. I don't see why everything thinks "it's too high" to draft him. He has everything we need right now + all the stuff I said above.
        +1

Comment

My concern about Biyombo is if he can play center. At only 6'9, 240 I can't see him playing the 5. Maybe the 4, but we have enough PF's already. People are already questioning Kanter's height, and Biyombo is 2 feet shorter.

If we're picking the best player available at 5, then I would think Walker or Knight would be better. I'd only go for Biyombo if BC some how got a second pick in the top 10 and Biyombo was still around.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            My concern about Biyombo is if he can play center. At only 6'9, 240 I can't see him playing the 5. Maybe the 4, but we have enough PF's already. People are already questioning Kanter's height, and Biyombo is 2 feet shorter.

If we're picking the best player available at 5, then I would think Walker or Knight would be better. I'd only go for Biyombo if BC some how got a second pick in the top 10 and Biyombo was still around.
            Height matters very little. What matters most is length and strength, and Biyombo has more than enough of those. Ben Wallace is shorter than Biyombo and won the Defensive Player of the Year award something like 4 times. I have some questions about Biyombo, but whether he's big enough to play the position isn't one of them.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
              Agreed he would offset Dre's limitations on that end of the court but don't we already have Ed who is capable of doing this? Without any clear cut C's in the draft outside of Jonas (and is a project) I'm hoping the Raps go PG and SF in the draft if they manage to get a 2nd pick.
              +1 I'd rather go with PG and SF then C. But I'm not a scout and I might be to risk averse.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Height matters very little. What matters most is length and strength, and Biyombo has more than enough of those. Ben Wallace is shorter than Biyombo and won the Defensive Player of the Year award something like 4 times. I have some questions about Biyombo, but whether he's big enough to play the position isn't one of them.
              just out of curiosity what are those questions and if you were a GM where would you take Biyombo?
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Height is usually an issue because of reach and wingspan. However, it's well documented that he has a huge wingspan. He's also a good size considering how young he may be. In my opinion his build is a non-issue. I'm concerned with his on court ability at the NBA level and also the concerns about him potentially being much older than 18.

Comment

Everytime I watch that Hoop Summit highlight reel I keep thinking, "why is Joel Anthony playing in the Nike Hoops Summit".

Then I remember Bismack Biyombo might be a lottery pick and I again realize why most of the same teams are in the lottery every single year.

Comment

ESPN insider - DAVID THORPE on Bismack Biyombo:

"What if I told you that there is a center who's been in this league four years, who stands just 6-foot-9, and can't shoot. He also has poor hands, one reason he really can't rebound either (except for balls that come right to him). Did I mention he can't score in the paint either? Well, he can't, averaging just 2.5 ppg for his career. Now, would you believe me when I told you this non-shooting, non-scoring, non-rebounding player started at center many times in the postseason? Oh, and his team is two wins away from winning a title.

That's right, Joel Anthony is that guy, and he's an interesting player to evaluate because this draft features a player who's a lot like him -- Bismack Biyombo. At the very least, it appears Biyombo can be slightly more effective, meaning a team can find its future starting center in this draft. That's no easy feat considering the last two drafts have produced only two players that we know can be starting centers (DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe). The thing is, any team that drafts Biyombo will need him to be far more effective than Anthony, because Anthony has the benefit of playing with two of the best players in the world on the Miami Heat. Biyombo won't have that luxury.

Let's break down his game:
                    To begin with, we need to talk about Biyombo's age. There are rumors that he is older than his listed age of 18. That may be true, but it might not matter all that much. For argument's sake, let's say he's as old as 24. Even at that age, he's younger than many of his opponents in the Spanish league, and he performed well for his playoff-qualifying team there. He may not have as many years to improve but he's ready to help a team, and don't forget that Anthony is 28. Any team drafting Biyombo hopes to be a serious contender in the next four years, and knowing it has a center who should be a better overall player than Anthony would be comforting, especially when he'll be on a rookie contract. If he's indeed 18, or just 20, and is a good rotation player for a good team in the second-best basketball league in the world, then he's even more enticing as a draft pick because his ceiling will appear much higher.

What Biyombo brings to the game right now is exactly what you'd expect when you first see him. He has amazingly long arms, and he uses them as often as he can. That part is easy to see. But I like his nimbleness in defending ball screens and closing out shooters. Other than a few occasions when he stumbles, Biyombo has a smart and mature approach to the way he plays defense. He anticipates well and is not one of those shot-blockers who never wants to leave the paint. He has an advanced understanding of team defense, clearly coming from his experiences playing at such a high level. It would be fair to assume that his team in Spain would go undefeated in any major college conference in America, and that should give you some indication of the talent level there.

Many Spanish teams run complicated offensive sets, full of multiple screens and off-ball actions, yet Biyombo pings from spot to spot as if he's part of a choreographed dance routine. It's the kind of instant recognition required in the NBA to defend great offenses, but is rarely seen in rookies. Biyombo's learning curve in this area will be small. Of course, everyone wants to see him block shots, and he will do that in the NBA. Because he's good at getting good defensive position, he's frequently in the right place to make a play on the shooter. To get a paint bucket on him will require a strong lift and finish, because he eats up anything soft. If within three years he anchors a team that is a top 10 defensive unit, I will not be surprised. This is not some skinny kid who's going to get pushed around. His strength and activity help him on the glass as well. He's a hungry rebounder who flows to the ball well.

Biyombo does not project to be much of an impact guy on offense. His hook shot is flat (though that's easily improved) and his natural scoring instincts are not strong. But I saw something in him that will help him a great deal in the NBA: His second bounce is outstanding and quick. This will not impact his offensive game as much as it will help him on the offensive glass. With those arms and that bounce, Biyombo can be a terror cleaning up the missed shots of teammates.

The biggest issue facing Biyombo is his weak passing. He looks to have major problems dealing with strong closeouts on a dead dribble, so I expect a lot of turnovers early on. This kind of problem can be coached up, as can the other big adjustment he'll have to make. He'll no longer be anywhere close to being the best athlete on the floor. That was often the case in Spain, and it allowed him to impact the game in ways that did not require any skill. In the NBA, though, he'll need to refine his game and build on it in order to play at a high level.

A word of caution to Biyombo: Joel Anthony is a fan favorite because of the way he plays for a guy who went undrafted. More is expected of a top-10 pick, so even if Biyombo is as good as Anthony, that won't be enough in the eyes of most."

Pretty good review, seems like Thorpe thinks Biyombo wil be a good player regarless of age. definetly a solid pcik if we can get another pick in the top 10.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      just out of curiosity what are those questions and if you were a GM where would you take Biyombo?
                      The questions I have about Biyombo revolve around his real age and whether he simply has enough basic skills to play in the NBA. And I simply have not seen enough of him at all to be able to have any idea where I'd draft him. He's pretty much a complete unknown to me. Just based on the scouting reports, I'd certainly think about drafting him at 5 if Kanter (who I've seen more of) is gone.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Love this guy!

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        The questions I have about Biyombo revolve around his real age and whether he simply has enough basic skills to play in the NBA. And I simply have not seen enough of him at all to be able to have any idea where I'd draft him. He's pretty much a complete unknown to me. Just based on the scouting reports, I'd certainly think about drafting him at 5 if Kanter (who I've seen more of) is gone.

I would be very happy to see a few moves by BC. First off, if you can get him, get a big ass like Kanter. If not, we'll take a point. I'm easy with Wright or Walker (Irving being out of range). With a second pick, get Biyombo. That leaves us with Davis, Alabi, Kanter, Biyombo, Johnson, and Bargnani. Most important part, get a big man coach. The year is a full clinic with a Patrick Ewing or someone like that (Kareem would be the best , but he has health concerns). The raps have done a lousy job of developing their big men with Bargnani being handled with kid's gloves and everyone else buried.
                        If we can work a trade or 2 in there to shore up other positions, great! We have the bodies and plan with the front court to lose someone. Ironically, Bargnani is the only one with a skill set and scoring touch, but mobile, athletic front men with skilled wings and guards is a solid path. If Bargnani can fetch a SF, we are really building.

But we need to get some educators in there to teach these kids.

At point, I am pretty confident with Bayless developing another year, too.

Comment

To finish, Biyombo is at least going to be a cheaper version of Reggie.

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
                            To finish, Biyombo is at least going to be a cheaper version of Reggie.
                            ... Like Dorsey already is..? haha
                            Ultimately I think we need more than what Reggie (and Dorsey) bring to the table. At least in a Starting Role. Reggie is great to have off the bench. I think Biyombo will end up being a much better defender than Reggie, but really its hard to tell. But he's a 'solid Role Player, on a good team, on the Second Best league in the World.' So that counts for something.

ADD I met Dorsey the other night at Real Sports. He was there watching the Dallas game.
                            So was that JRDN singer ... not a fan though.
                            Last edited by Joey; Sat Jun 11, 2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
                              I would be very happy to see a few moves by BC. First off, if you can get him, get a big ass like Kanter. If not, we'll take a point. I'm easy with Wright or Walker (Irving being out of range). With a second pick, get Biyombo. That leaves us with Davis, Alabi, Kanter, Biyombo, Johnson, and Bargnani. Most important part, get a big man coach. The year is a full clinic with a Patrick Ewing or someone like that (Kareem would be the best , but he has health concerns). The raps have done a lousy job of developing their big men with Bargnani being handled with kid's gloves and everyone else buried.
                              If we can work a trade or 2 in there to shore up other positions, great! We have the bodies and plan with the front court to lose someone. Ironically, Bargnani is the only one with a skill set and scoring touch, but mobile, athletic front men with skilled wings and guards is a solid path. If Bargnani can fetch a SF, we are really building.

But we need to get some educators in there to teach these kids.

At point, I am pretty confident with Bayless developing another year, too.
                              Just one point. It's always bugged me when people talk about a Hall of Fame center being who the team should bring in to help the young players. I have no problem with the team bringing in a great big man coach, but that guy is most likely not a Hall of Fame big man. The best big man coach of all time was 6'2 and never played professional basketball in his life.

Are Kareem and Ewing great teachers? Maybe, but I really have no idea. The only think a Hall of Fame guy has over someone else is possibly more respect from the player he is teaching. It doesn't make him a better teacher, though.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i would take a flyer on him with a second top 10 pick def not the 5th pick
                                ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                                X