Amir Johnson for Jeff Green Straight Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Johnson for Jeff Green Straight Up

What does everyone think? This would give TO the ability to pay Green more than other teams once he's a Free Agent, assuming Bird Rights still exist under the new CBA. From everything I hear about OKC, it's seeming unlikely that they will attempt to resign Green, or, that he will be priced out by other teams (ie, OKC doesn't want to pay too much for Green).

If this is true, it's likely because he's playing out of position, and they want a more natural 4. Amir Johnson, slightly redundant in TO with Ed Davis coming along nicely, could be the perfect solution for them at the 4 spot. This way OKC don't lose him for nothing and the Raps get their starting 3. Derozan/Green will give you 30-40 points a night and 10 boards. And at age 24, he fits in perfect with TO's youth movement (as does Amir in OKC).

This also provides more room for Evans and Dorsey, or for Kleiza to play more at the 4 if we need some more scoring in the frontcourt.

I have a hard time thinking of another 4, priced at around 5m, who would be a better fit for OKC than Amir Johnson, given his age and upside. I think this is win-win.

Actually, the more i think about it, the more awesome this is for both teams.

Amir, as a premier offensive rebounder, is the ideal candidate to grab boards off of Durant and Westbrook misses - particularly Durant as he shoots typically from range. As well, he's great in the PnR, which could make for a deadly tandem with Westbrook. He's also got a great contract for a team like OKC who already have Durant and Westbrook locked up for the foreseeable future.

Green in TO makes too much sense and has been too exhaustively discussed on these boards to really go into too much. I think it's largely clear most posters here would like to see him suit up for the Raps. I will say this though: he'd play great D at the 3, and is used to playing against larger players, which is great for matching up against the bigger 3's such as Lebron, Melo, Chandler, etc who also have speed.

All of sudden the Raptors would have a set starting line-up, one that is legitimate, balanced and competitive, and one that will only improve - and in the case of Derozan and Davis, significantly so. Then there's the draft pick.

Comment

While I agree that this trade would have a nice effect on both rosters (this would also clear a place for the rising serge ibaka), I have a feeling that OKC feels they could get better for him than amir. Although personally I would love for this deal to occur

Comment

I would say yes in a heart beat which is why OKC would say no.

Comment

Amir, Miami's 1st round pick and our 2nd round which we just reacquired. Would be a high 2nd rounder. Might be a bit more enticing for the Thunder... still probably not though.

Comment

Because I'm a crazy person, I would rather trade Bargnani for Green + Clippers' pick. (Then sign DeAndre Jordan and draft Irving.)

Comment

If I'm Oklahoma I do this. Amir would be a great fit for them. They're lacking good defensive big men and inside scoring. It's probably good for Toronto, but I don't really like trading Amir, especially if Bargnani is still on the roster.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think this would be a great move for both teams.

OKC is lacking in dependable big men and amir has ridiculous potential.

Green is a legit sf/pf who can do just about everything.

If we could do this and draft a guy like kyrie irving we would be set.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                  Because I'm a crazy person, I would rather trade Bargnani for Green + Clippers' pick. (Then sign DeAndre Jordan and draft Irving.)
                  IF we got Jordan this summer, I'd be cool this scenario. As it essentially works out (not actually, but on paper) as Bargs for a starting SF and a starting C. Plus who we pick. Thats fair and to the betterment of the team. I'd do it.
                  IF we couldn't get Jordan, which its looking more and more likely Clippers will match ANYTHING for him, than this scenario leaves us pretty lacking in height. Though Bargs doesn't really play as big as he is, he's still a 7'-0", 250lbs.
                  But I agree that having Amir around is better for what this team needs around DD and Ed.

I used to be against trading Bargs, but the more I see him struggle, and NOT try, the more I'd be okay with it.
                  IF we can 90 cents on the dollar, so to speak.

HOWEVER... The Thunder would have little use for Bargs, I'd imagine. Though they are a VERY solid Defensive team (1st in the league last year, I believe.) so perhaps they could afford to add him on.
                  Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 31, 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Can Green defend the 3? Also, Durant has asked management to re-sign Green, since they're very close (Same reason the Raptors will re-sign Weems as their 3rd 2 guard). I'd pass...their is a shit-load of decent 2/3guards available in 2011 off-season. I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at Afflalo and see if they can pry him away from Denver.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                      Can Green defend the 3? Also, Durant has asked management to re-sign Green, since they're very close (Same reason the Raptors will re-sign Weems as their 3rd 2 guard). I'd pass...their is a shit-load of decent 2/3guards available in 2011 off-season. I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at Afflalo and see if they can pry him away from Denver.
                      Green IS a 3. That's why he's struggled so much playing the 4 spot. At the 3, he's above average. At the 4 he is below average. It's like asking Shane Battier to be a 4. At the 3, he's a good defender. At the 4 he'd get overpowered WAY too much to be effective.

At least Green is a 3, Afflalo is a 2. He's a nice offensive player, sure, but he's not exactly a very good defensive player. I'm not sure why you'd want to get him.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Green IS a 3. That's why he's struggled so much playing the 4 spot. At the 3, he's above average. At the 4 he is below average. It's like asking Shane Battier to be a 4. At the 3, he's a good defender. At the 4 he'd get overpowered WAY too much to be effective.

At least Green is a 3, Afflalo is a 2. He's a nice offensive player, sure, but he's not exactly a very good defensive player. I'm not sure why you'd want to get him.
                        Actually, Green is a very good 3. And he's a very underrated player on both ends. If you watch any OKC games, you'll see his impact off the ball is pretty huge. He defends pretty well, considering he needs to defend guys who are taller and stronger than him. Plus, Green has a well polished offensive game, he can dunk, post-up, shoot the mid-range and even the three. He would be great for us at the 3.

And Afflalo is a very good defensive player Tim, but I guess it's because you don't watch many Denver or Detroit games. He is a good man-to-man defender. Like Belinelli, but better. He is known ONLY for his defense, until he went to Denver where he also showed he could hit the three.

Comment

There is noway OKC will do this. They can get alot more for Green than just Amir Johnson and his contract.

They will probably ask for Amir + Heats first Round draft pick that we have and maybe more ... Maybe Amir + Derozen

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                            And Afflalo is a very good defensive player Tim, but I guess it's because you don't watch many Denver or Detroit games. He is a good man-to-man defender. Like Belinelli, but better. He is known ONLY for his defense, until he went to Denver where he also showed he could hit the three.
                            I haven't watched a lot of Denver games (that team is SOOO uninteresting to me), but the games I saw he didn't seem to focus a lot on that end. Now that you mention it about Detroit, though, I do remember him being a good defensive player there, which is what was his calling card was. I take back my criticism of his defense.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              I haven't watched a lot of Denver games (that team is SOOO uninteresting to me), but the games I saw he didn't seem to focus a lot on that end. Now that you mention it about Detroit, though, I do remember him being a good defensive player there, which is what was his calling card was. I take back my criticism of his defense.
                              This is a nice article about Afflalo http://callitmilehigh.wordpress.com/...ensive-genius/

Comment

Working...
                              X