Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Hedo Be Dealt Sooner Rather Than Later?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Hedo Be Dealt Sooner Rather Than Later?

On Doug Smith's chat wrap today at Noon, he answered a number of questions as per usual, but some interesting tidbits pertaining to Hedo.

[Comment From Giuseppe ]
    Doug, I bet Turk will play an awesome world champ in Turkey this summer... he's been resting all the season in view of that. Hope it'll be easier to trade him then...

Doug: I think he'll be dealt long before that

[Comment From Ricky ]
    Hey Doug, thanks for chatting. Turkoglu has a trade kicker in his contract that I'm worried would scare off teams. Do you think he'd be willing to waive it to facilitate a deal?

Doug: No, there are trade kickers in a majority of contracts; not really a factor

[Comment From Brian ]
    Love the blog Doug! A few days ago I believe..I read somewhere that Wilbon said something to the extent of doing a Turk for Arenas swap (with other pieces of course). Do you think Arenas would be a good fit for this team?

Doug: I don't know, it's intriguing, that's for sure. And I'm sure, for at least a little while, Gilbert would be on his best behaviour. I'd probably make that trade myself.

[Comment From Miguel ]
    Doug, does Turk stay or go and do you see any takers for him?

Doug: I think he'll go and I know there'll be a teams interested. No one up here may like him a lot but there are people in the industry who think he's still a player. And I'm one of them

[Comment From Guest ]
    Realistically, can a Turk deal be made without the Raps taking on another player with equal or worse baggage?

Doug: Probably not, no
    Source - Click here

Thanks Doc. Didn't get a chance to be at the chat today, damn work! haha

I'm kind of expecting a draft-day deal to go down revolving around Hedo. I think BC will try his hardest to give Bosh a reason to stay. Which will probably be Agent 0. I think I'm okay with that trade as well, as it adds some star power (albeit somewhat faded).

I'm surprised Doug is ok with that deal though, since Gil will probably be competition for him in the "blogging world" haha
    Last edited by da_goose09; Thu Jun 3, 2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Interesting stuff. I assume he's making these comments based on what he's heard, in which case Colangelo must already have some suitors. I'm very much against the Arenas swap, though. It's not like Hedo would get much ball in Washington with John Wall running the show.

Comment

The Raptors should just buy him out and be done with it. Anyone they get back will just be more of the same or worse with probably a worse contract.

Just buy him out and move on with a clean slate and cap space.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          Interesting stuff. I assume he's making these comments based on what he's heard, in which case Colangelo must already have some suitors. I'm very much against the Arenas swap, though. It's not like Hedo would get much ball in Washington with John Wall running the show.
          Yea but who cares, we'd be rid of him and he'd be their problem to deal with. But I guess we'd have one of our own in return, but he'd be new and it'd likely take a while for any of us to hate him.

Comment

buy him out?
            I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there's somewhere in the neighbourhood of $44 million left on his contract!! I know he doesn't want to come back, but to think he'd accept any less than 75% (and that's probably still a little low) is foolish. Which means BC would pay Turk over $30M as a buy out? Or put another way, almost $40 million for 1 year of basketball? Don't hold your breath waiting for that one!

Comment

da_goose09 wrote: View Post
              buy him out?
              I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there's somewhere in the neighbourhood of $44 million left on his contract!! I know he doesn't want to come back, but to think he'd accept any less than 75% (and that's probably still a little low) is foolish. Which means BC would pay Turk over $30M as a buy out? Or put another way, almost $40 million for 1 year of basketball? Don't hold your breath waiting for that one!
              I think the idea is that Turkoglu would command at least the MLE on the open market, so $44 million minus the $20 million or so he could get if he were cut loose would be a manageable $24 million spread over 4 years on the books. If you could convince Turkoglu to do that, well, that's another thing.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Doug is on board with a GIl trades as well. It makes sense for the Wiz, especially in John Wall's first few seasons. The guy is a high flyer who can be just as effective off the ball. I think Hedo would be able get "ball" in Washington more so than some other options. Wall will be phenomenal but he will need time to learn. Hedo would help out in facilitating over that time for sure. For Toronto's side of it the Raptors aren't going to get another talent on the level elsewhere. I don't think the Philly Brand and the 2nd rounder applies to any inbound player who has a big, long contract. Philly is looking for immediate cap relief. There are even rumors that they may sell. If I'm Charlotte I don't know if I want Hedo or not. Felton may not be brought back and that helps but I wonder how Jordan value Hedo?
                Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jun 3, 2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Turkoglu for Maggette!
                  RR OG

Comment

AS A hamilton Boy, This reminds of last season when the ti-cats traded some picks and a couple decent players for Arland Bruse because he had just had a blowup with the new caoch and the coach wanted him gone and he had got suspended for well, an estranged tribute to Mike Jackson.

The tigercats acquired him and everyone was talking about his excess baggage and could his contributions over shadow his baggage. He came here and he basically made everyone look stupid doing very minor, normal touchdown celebrations and he basically led the ti-cats like he was the captain to a playoff spot and the eastern semi-finals.

Now, i'm not saying this would be the same case if we acquired arenas, but, hey sometimes all you need is a clean slate with a new team to show how great of a player you really are.

i leave you with this.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Why do people bring up other sports to back up their opinions in basketball? I don't know a goddamn thing about football, but I know that trading for Gilbert Arenas has far, far more downside than upside.

And I also don't care in the least what Doug Smith thinks. He's a good journalist, but his strength is in his writing and ability to get a story, not in his basketball knowledge.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Turkoglu has a trade kicker?

I wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know the details? Is it a 15% kicker?
                        nbaroundtable

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Why do people bring up other sports to back up their opinions in basketball?
                          Desperation.

Comment

Working...
                          X