The Price of Everything, The Value of Nothing [re: Amir Johnson's contract]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Price of Everything, The Value of Nothing [re: Amir Johnson's contract]

Written by Ian Levy. He runs Hickory-High.com and also writes for IndyCornrows.com and TheTwoManGame.com (an ESPN TrueHoop Affilliate).

http://hickory-high.com/2011/02/24/amir-johnson/

Last week Amir Johnson made Bill Simmons’ list of the 25 worst contracts in the league. The 5 year - 34 million dollar contract he signed this summer was ranked by Simmons at #20. I know, as with almost everything Simmons writes, fans with opposing opinions around the country are firing off angry emails to the Sports Guy about the perceived slights to their own favorite players. Today I’m going to take up the defense of Amir Johnson.
    http://twitter.com/Liston

I said it in the off-season and I maintain now that they gave Amir Johnson too much money but the guy has stepped up his game to the point where the contract size is not a big issue anymore.

Comment

If he could stay out of foul trouble it would validate the value of the contract for sure. But costly turnoves and fouls hang a dark cloud over him. I think he will beat it, he has been fantastic lately.

Comment

Not to self promote (okay, I guess that is exactly what I"m doing), but I had my own response to Bill Simmons' article...
        http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...mmons-smoking/
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Amir's actually really surprised me with his play this season. If he keeps working at his game and gains a few pounds he could be really special.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Not to self promote (okay, I guess that is exactly what I"m doing), but I had my own response to Bill Simmons' article...
            Read your article and I'm 200% in agreement with your response. Hmm, the exclusion of Gooden is curious. How about Mike Miller? I guess, he needs Canadian readers to get angry and get more traffic in his site right? I mean if he praised Amir's contract, he'd get 10 happy responses or conversely, diss him and you get 1000. Which do you pick?

The argument over Amir's contract is tired. I'm shocked to keep hearing how people think it's the worst signing. How many games did Gooden miss? Miller? Let's give this a rest...
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

The contract was not 5yr and $34 as originally reported. Simmons' is a boob. He is to journalism as pro=wrestling is to sport.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                The contract was not 5yr and $34 as originally reported. Simmons' is a boob. He is to journalism as pro=wrestling is to sport.
                hahaha Love it. I loathe the man. Between him and Hollinger, the ignorance is unbelievable.
                And to further your comparison... Pro Wrestling = Sports "Entertainment"; ESPN = Sports "News Entertainment".

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  Amir's actually really surprised me with his play this season. If he keeps working at his game and gains a few pounds he could be really special.
                  You can say that about our 4s and 5s on this team lol (they are mostly flyweights except Bargs, Evans, and Joey Dorsey). Alexis Ajinca, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson all need meat on their bones to fully evaluate how good those guys I mentioned earlier can be(especially Ajinca, I see him as a backup C if he has meat to rebound the ball without getting pushed around as he already blocks shots and plays decent defense imo).

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Read your article and I'm 200% in agreement with your response. Hmm, the exclusion of Gooden is curious. How about Mike Miller? I guess, he needs Canadian readers to get angry and get more traffic in his site right? I mean if he praised Amir's contract, he'd get 10 happy responses or conversely, diss him and you get 1000. Which do you pick?

The argument over Amir's contract is tired. I'm shocked to keep hearing how people think it's the worst signing. How many games did Gooden miss? Miller? Let's give this a rest...
                    Imo, Amir's performance this season should end all the overpaid stuff crap (plus he is still young (turning 24 this season) and has not even reached his prime yet). "Nuff said.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      If he could stay out of foul trouble it would validate the value of the contract for sure. But costly turnoves and fouls hang a dark cloud over him. I think he will beat it, he has been fantastic lately.
                      Even with your false stats it's nice to see you turning a corner for Amir.

Comment

Amir's contract isn't even close to one of the worst in the NBA. If he says out of foul trouble (which lately he has been) and continues to develop he might be getting underpaid.

Amir Johnson Salary - Raptors: $5.00M 2011 | $5.50M 2012 | $6.00M 2013 | $6.50M 2014 | $7.00M 2015

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          #FreeTimW
                          http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Simmons is good when he talks basketball. Yes, he is probably poking the Raptor fanbase intentionally.
                            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

I wonder how many Raps games Simmons has actually watched this year to see Johnson play. Ignorance. His contract is also 5/30M. An average of $6M per year for a big man who can score, rebound, defend, and hustle is a good deal. Diop anyone? Haywood?

Comment

Working...
                              X