Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Seriously. It reminds me of the championship games of the beer league.

I am actually pretty interested/high on the kid. I'd love to see the Raptors draft him and stash him for a couple of years as he matures. He is a physical freak and as his body matures and his game develops I think he is going to have a very bright future especially considering the guard skills he possesses combined with a late growth spurt.
    I agree, and I think Basilis is misinterpreting our ragging on his competition as a slight against him. It's quite the opposite. It shows that he is just a level above who he's playing, but unfortunately, we haven't seen him play against that higher level, which would make it far easier to judge where he is in his development....because again, the competition is mostly a concern for HOW/IF it affects his draft position, to know whether the Raps might have a chance to snag him if they pick up a low 1st rder or 2nd rder.

Workouts could be very important to him. If in workouts, he is handling his competition, even just defensively, and very obviously the freak he seems to be physically, I could see him creeping into the lottery in this draft class.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:
      He might've meant that they played in Greece, or in a Greek league.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Aris hahaha, do you really think you can troll us with that? That team is 8th in Greece leage, where only two teams could be considered elite and other two good enough.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• I'm done. The forum is full of trolls and people that know zero about basketball.

For you to suggest top Greek League is "low level basketball" is truly beyond the pale of ignorance and insults. Aris would crush any NCAA team. Absolutely crush them.

I am going to be praying that Giannis is NOT drafted by the Raptors and never plays for them. He does not deserve to be stuck with such a horrible fan base. I've never seen such awful fans as this.
          Last edited by Basilis; Wed Apr 17, 2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Basilis wrote: View Post
            I'm done. The forum is full of trolls and people that know zero about basketball.
            Back to the Greek supremacy forum it is.

Comment

I'm done. The forum is full of trolls and people that know zero about basketball.

For you to suggest top Greek League is "low level basketball" is truly beyond the pale of ignorance and insults. Aris would crush any NCAA team. Absolutely crush them.

I am going to be praying that Giannis is NOT drafted by the Raptors and never plays for them. He does not deserve to be stuck with such a horrible fan base. I've never seen such awful fans as this.
              Now Im not so good with goodbye's either, but after 3 I usually leave!
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Now Im not so good with goodbye's either, but after 3 I usually leave!
                lol

Comment

I am going to debunk all of the claims here about him playing against "low level competition" and "lower than NCAA" and all this nonsense that he has not proven anything against good competition.

I am going to blow up that argument. I have a clip of Giannis Adetokoubo playing against one of the biggest Greek clubs, Aris, a FIRST DIVISION GREEK LEAGUE CLUB.

This is at age 17. He scored 17 points in a Greek Cup elimination game. This is at age 17, against better competition than NCAA Division I.

So please no more of this nonsense about playing against competition lower than NCAA. He played just fine against one of the probably top 30 best clubs in Europe over the last 6-7 years.
                  Man...it doesn't even look like they're even trying on defense. They're perimeter defense is so bad, they're giving him an invitation to shoot. I know he's not known as a shooter, but the room they're giving him...?

This is what you call an elite team?
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• The brother is a bit of a freak too!

Comment

• Damn, that's nice.

And unlike some similar dunks he doesn't push off the obstacle's head, but he seems to give him a friendly pet on the head.

Comment

• I wonder if his younger brothers show a lot of promise too. He's got at least 4 brothers, 2 older and 2 younger.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                          Aris hahaha, do you really think you can troll us with that? That team is 8th in Greece leage, where only two teams could be considered elite and other two good enough.
                          This.

Regarding the comment about the fanbase though, I think Toronto's fanbase is one of the better ones in the NBA.

Comment

• Aran Smith: No official word from the family but an inside source has confirmed that Giannis Adetokoubo will enter NBA draft along w brother Athanasios. Twitter @nbadraftnet

Comment

• Anyone know how good Giannis's brother is compared to him?
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Adetokoubo a blooming point forward?

If Saric is an unfinished product, 18-year-old Giannis (pronounced Yawnis) Adetokoubo, a Nigerian-born Greek, is little more than a few sketches on a pad. But they are very interesting, intriguing strokes, that have some comparing him to a young Nicolas Batum. This is a young prospect who knows how to play.

NBA types have been flying over to Europe in increasing numbers over the last month, to see what the big deal is with Adetokoubo, who is playing for Fliathlitikos, a team in Greece's second-tier league, not the one with traditional Greek powers like Olympiacos and Panthiakos. Adetokoubo (there are other spellings of his name out there; this is the one I'm going with) has wowed people with his passing ability, to the point where some teams think he could play some point guard in the pros.

"I walked out of there saying/ 'Holy cow, this kid's a freak,'" one general manager said. "He has no body. He's got pipe fitter legs. But he's got Magic Johnson kind of handle and court vision ... what I saw was a guy who can handle it, who can make plays. People are going to want to make him a point guard. He might be a point forward at the end of the day."

Adetokoubo's wingspan and hands alone are making some people giddy. But others aren't as convinced.

"There's a little bit of a hype behind it," a Southeast Division executive said. "He's not [Portland's Nicolas] Batum, my friend. A lot of conflicting reports, but the guys who've seen him have told me not to get too excited."

The likely scenario is that Adetokoubo (whose brother, Thanasis, also plays for Filatlhlitikos, and is also an NBA small forward prospect) will be a long-term project for anyone that takes him.

"I can't imagine how he plays in the league for a couple of years, maybe longer," another executive said. "Especially the way the rules are. You have to absorb the cap hit over the summer so you really lessen your ability to spend money."

Said yet another executive: "it's going to take a while. You know how that goes. How many times have we seen that with European players? And you've got to be careful in this draft, because it's a perceived weak Draft. It's easy to hype somebody and shoot them up the board."

Taking a first-round gamble on such an unproven yet promising European talent is nothing new. But Adetokoubo has so little in the way of a proven body of work at his age, it is reminiscent of when the Nuggets took Nikoloz Tskitishvili No. 5 overall in the 2002 Draft, even though he played very little in actual games for his team, Benetton Treviso.

"In my opinion, he needs to stay," one Western Conference birddog said. "Very long, thin body. Big ol' hands. He needs to come in a year later. He played in a low division. He's not ready yet. Very, very skilled, very talented. Somebody's gonna pick him. If he does stay in, I would say second round. But I think he should go back."

Others echoed that sentiment.

"I try to follow these guys from a certain age," one general manager said. "So you watch them in the Under 17s, the Under 19s, the world championships. The guys that don't do that, the guys that I've noticed, they seem to have a way of not making it, failing. Even if they don't [fail], it just takes them such a while. Their talent springs up. Guys like Skita, [Mouhamed] Sene [taken 10th overall by Seattle in the 2006 Draft], [Bismack] Biyombo [acquired via trade by Charlotte in 2011] to an extent. He played that last year [before the '11 Draft] in Spain but the year before that he played in Qatar."

Adetokoubo still does not have a visa to travel abroad, and sources indicated his parents also have issues with the requisite papers. Initially, he was scheduled to be part of the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland last week, but the document issues kept him abroad. He is expected to have everything in order by the end of the month.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/feature...ds-2013-draft/

Comment

Working...
                                X