Rookie/Sophmore game (DeRozan/Davis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie/Sophmore game (DeRozan/Davis)

With all - star weekend approaching and the rookie/sophomore game being a regular tradition of the event, what are the chances that a raptor (Davis of DeRozan) is invited to play in the game this year.

DeRozan got snubbed big time last year not getting the invite over players he had certainly outperformed are were just purely boring. This year though, DeRozan is having a nice offensive year. He is currently tied for 5th in scoring with Jrue Holiday, has the best FG% out of the top 7 scorers (impressive stat, largely due to this latest run hes had. He's 7th overall, but the top ten consist of low minute players and its not an accurate assessment with the exception of Ty Lawson who is only slightly more efficient), he is #1 in free throw attempts per game, he is 8th in efficiency rating, and frankly is a pleasure to watch when he has a lane and a chance to throw it down. DeRozan deserves a spot in that game and should get the invite this year, but the fact that he got snubbed last year says he could get the cold shoulder once again.

Davis hasn't participated in a full season missing the first couple months, but has rounded out nicely to this point and you really have to watch him play to appreciate what he brings to the table. He is an exciting shot blocker with gawdy length that alters shots left and right. He has a soft touch around the rim and has some decent hops. He also runs sets well and doesn't try to force his offensive game. Davis currently ranks 7th on the rookie ladder which should help him toward getting a nod, but below him are high draft picks like Evan Turner and Derrick Favors who might get the nod over him. He is currently 12th in scoring amongst rookies (tied with Favors), 5th in overall rebounding, essentially 3rd in rebounds per 40 behind DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin (the others consist of the likes of players who have played < 10 games such as Soloman Alabi and Larry Owens), 2nd in blocked shots, 6th in double - doubles, 5th in overall efficiency, 5th in efficiency per 48, 4th in FG%, tied for 37th in TOPG with only 0.5 TOPG, and only 10th in MPG.

In my mind, both have done enough to get the nod. Davis has been the fourth best big this year behind Demarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin, and Greg Monroe (recently Greg has been stellar) and has outplayed many of the other less complete rookie positions in the rookie class. He plays exciting to watch defensive and is a very efficient player. He should be one of the reserves for the game.

Derozan has also shown development as of late and has had some impressive numbers. His direct numbers dictate that he should definately be a participant in the game, whether it is starting the game or coming off the bench.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Roughhide; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:35 AM.

Roughhide wrote: View Post
    With all - star weekend approaching and the rookie/sophomore game being a regular tradition of the event, what are the chances that a raptor (Davis of DeRozan) is invited to play in the game this year.

DeRozan got snubbed big time last year not getting the invite over players he had certainly outperformed are were just purely boring. This year though, DeRozan is having a nice offensive year. He is currently tied for 5th in scoring with Jrue Holiday, has the best FG% out of the top 7 scorers (impressive stat, largely due to this latest run hes had. He's 7th overall, but the top ten consist of low minute players and its not an accurate assessment with the exception of Ty Lawson who is only slightly more efficient), he is #1 in free throw attempts per game, he is 8th in efficiency rating, and frankly is a pleasure to watch when he has a lane and a chance to throw it down. DeRozan deserves a spot in that game and should get the invite this year, but the fact that he got snubbed last year says he could get the cold shoulder once again.

Davis hasn't participated in a full season missing the first couple months, but has rounded out nicely to this point and you really have to watch him play to appreciate what he brings to the table. He is an exciting shot blocker with gawdy length that alters shots left and right. He has a soft touch around the rim and has some decent hops. He also runs sets well and doesn't try to force his offensive game. Davis currently ranks 7th on the rookie ladder which should help him toward getting a nod, but below him are high draft picks like Evan Turner and Derrick Favors who might get the nod over him. He is currently 12th in scoring amongst rookies (tied with Favors), 5th in overall rebounding, essentially 3rd in rebounds per 40 behind DeMarcus Cousins and Blake Griffin (the others consist of the likes of players who have played < 10 games such as Soloman Alabi and Larry Owens), 2nd in blocked shots, 6th in double - doubles, 5th in overall efficiency, 5th in efficiency per 48, 4th in FG%, tied for 37th in TOPG with only 0.5 TOPG, and only 10th in MPG.

In my mind, both have done enough to get the nod. Davis has been the fourth best big this year behind Demarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin, and Greg Monroe (recently Greg has been stellar) and has outplayed many of the other less complete rookie positions in the rookie class. He plays exciting to watch defensive and is a very efficient player. He should be one of the reserves for the game.

Derozan has also shown development as of late and has had some impressive numbers. His direct numbers dictate that he should definately be a participant in the game, whether it is starting the game or coming off the bench.

Opinions?
    1. Blake is going to play in the regular all-star game with the grownups
    2. Given that Favors has played 36 games which is a lot more than Davis and that Favors has similar numbers to Davis I would put Favors ahead of Davis at this time just as he was ahead of Davis in the draft.
    3. I do agree that at least so far Davis as been better than Aldrich and Udoh as well as Alabi.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

DeRozan should make it. His game has improved and so has his stats - not to mention that the Sophmore team could be pretty thin. Curry's hurting, Evans is hurting, Jennings is hurting. I could see those guys declining playing to rest their injuries. Hopefully they look at Demar as a forward instead of a 2-guard.

Comment

demar makes it...not ed tho
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

DeRozan will make it--I don't think there are any doubts there. Davis would probably have to displace both Favors and Monroe to sneak in, which is possible but not likely.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            1. Blake is going to play in the regular all-star game with the grownups
            Blake should be an all-star, no doubt. But the coaches don't like giving that honor to rookies. James couldn't get a sniff with 21-6-6 and ditto for Melo with 21-6-3. Blake is having one of the greatest rookie campaigns I have ever seem and so I hope he overcomes the "rookie handicap" and doesn't get seated at the kiddies table.

Comment

DeRozan continues to make a strong case for himself, 30 points tonight (13-25) with 0 turnovers and only 2 of those were blocked.

Davis also had a nice game with 10 rebounds and 6 points

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Blake should be an all-star, no doubt. But the coaches don't like giving that honor to rookies. James couldn't get a sniff with 21-6-6 and ditto for Melo with 21-6-3. Blake is having one of the greatest rookie campaigns I have ever seem and so I hope he overcomes the "rookie handicap" and doesn't get seated at the kiddies table.
                If the clippers continue their winnings way, and Griffin continues to up those beast-like numbers (23 and 13 currently), I cannot see him getting snubbed. Besides, it's in l.a, too much in his favor against Kevin love. However I can see both of them getting picked.

Comment

I agree Griffin plays in the big game. He's having an historical year for a rookie. 22.8 ppg (on .522 shooting), 12.9 rpg and 3.5 apg arguably puts him in the top ten rookie seasons of all time. And making the Clippers actually win? They should give him a medal.

DeRozan most definitely makes the Sophomore game. The 37 point game put him on the map and having big games against some of the top teams gets him a lot of respect.

Davis has been a regular in the NBA.com Rookie Ladder that ranks the top ten rookies. Favors may be putting up similar numbers overall, but Davis has made a bigger impact, in my opinion. I think Davis gets the nod, too. At least he should.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X