Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's too injury prone, that guy.

Comment

Honestly, I don't mind some Reggie clobbering time!

Comment

Doug Smith had some comments about the Davis injury.

However I don't think Amir was with them despite what Smith alleges.

Sonny13

Me, @DeMar_DeRozan, Joey and Ed Davis playing ball at the premier fitness in Missassaugga at 7
        http://twitter.com/Sonny13

If Amir was not there then Smith sticks his foot in the mouth by writing that he wanted to wait until all the facts were in before writing the article below yet I don't think he has the facts about who played there.

In fact not only did he probably falsely include Amir in with the group that played in that game but he made no reference to Dorsey playing.

Davis injury cause for concern on several levels

The whole Ed Davis saga (we caught up with it here yesterday afternoon once it became clear exactly what had happened; no sense rumour-mongering until some facts were known) is a bit of a can of worms, isn’t it?

Kid goes out to run with the masses at some gym in Mississauga, suffers a knee injury playing and now no one’s entirely sure what the course of treatment is going to be or how long he’ll have to sit before starting his first NBA training camp.

And there are those in the organization who are worried the rookie big man might have to have a scope to find out just what’s going on inside that knee and while that’s not 100 per cent certain right now, I don’t think anyone should be entirely surprised if it happens.

Anyway, I guess the whole issue is whether Davis, and guys like DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems and Amir Johnson should be out in group Runs With Randoms hither and yon in the GTA.

I guess it’s good for their profiles and to a make a “connection” with the fans but the simple fact is, they get more than enough gym time in the Air Canada Centre, where there are first-class facilities, a better, softer court and, you know, staff around if something untoward happens.

Davis had already gone through a scrimmage in the practice gym before he struck out to the wilds of Mississauga and that pickup game and I wonder if that shouldn’t have been enough work for one day.

Now I also know that injuries happen anywhere and at any time, he could just have easily tweaked his knee in the Air Canada Centre as some gym out here in the boonies and this is little more than a bad break for what seems to be a good kid.

But there need to be some questions asked.

Does the league need to re-visit it’s off-season workout rules to allow for team supervision of these pre-camp runs?

Does the team need to make it clear that scrimmages need to take place in the team facility rather than some random gym? Is one run a day enough?

There are no easy answers; it’s just too bad the young fella had to get hurt.
        http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          Doug Smith had some comments about the Davis injury.

However I don't think Amir was with them despite what Smith alleges.

http://twitter.com/Sonny13

If Amir was not there then Smith sticks his foot in the mouth by writing that he wanted to wait until all the facts were in before writing the article below yet I don't think he has the facts about who played there.

In fact not only did he probably falsely include Amir in with the group that played in that game but he made no reference to Dorsey playing.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/
          Under these circumstances, the org. should sign off on the location and have a trainer attend just in case. It's strange but I havent seen an eyewitness account of how the injury actually occurred....and there must have been many there. C'mon Buddahman use your sources. Surely yours are better than Smith's who is probably clamming up on Raptors orders.

Comment

Doug Smith needs to stfu, immediately, as he seems to lack the basic insight of an NBA player's off season work out regime not to mention the "love of the game" clause that is written into most NBA player contracts ala Jordan that allows them to play basketball whenever and whenever they would like to play basketball ie Rucker Park. Who in their right mind would suggest that a healthy NBA player not work out as much as possible in the off season in order to get better?

Doug Smith's drama class 101 is now in session ie was Amir aka Big A really in the building????

As well, most NBA player's work out twice a day (2-3 hours each time) in the off season unsupervised by said team and have been since Dennis Johnson was a Sonic, plus play in open run scrimmages afterwards at various courts. The real question is does Doug Smith need to raise his basketball IQ? Yes. Or he's treating Raptor fans & followers who read that above posted article as basic fools in relation to Davis' related injury particulars ie open runs. Davis isn't the 1st Lottery pick to get injured before his rookie year began and won't be the last.

I went through the Big Country era here in Vancouver and I would rather have a workaholic aka gym rat player than someone you have to carefully monitor to see if they have gotten up off of their couch or out of their fishing boat in the summer time and onto a basketball court in order to work out.

Btw- Golden State's Lottery PF- Ekpe Udoh, is also injured (wrist) and may miss up to half of the NBA season plus he didn't get to run in Vegas unlike Davis. Also, Piston's Lottery PF Greg Monroe had toe surgery this summer but should be ready for training camp according to reports. Since we don't have an official Raptor report on the true extent of Davis' injury or an estimation on his timeline of his potential rehab process folks can't make a full analysis of his situation in relation Udoh & Monroe.

Like Doug said- injuries can happen anywhere & at anytime: he should have stopped his article right there.
            Last edited by SirChillyMost; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Priest wrote: View Post
              2011 Top five draft pick here we come
              LOL, yeah because Ed Davis was going to be the deciding factor this year between mediocrity and success.

My thoughts on all this besides the standard "this sucks" and "what was Ed thinking?" is that Julian Wright and Amir Johnson couldn't have dreamed up better situations for themselves coming into this season. Amir is now the undisputed starter no matter how injured Ed really is and Julian is set to get a real shot at PT at a positions he's shown to be very competent at playing. This is it for Wright, this is the break he wanted, here's his career deciding year, I think.
              Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                Under these circumstances, the org. should sign off on the location and have a trainer attend just in case. It's strange but I havent seen an eyewitness account of how the injury actually occurred....and there must have been many there. C'mon Buddahman use your sources. Surely yours are better than Smith's who is probably clamming up on Raptors orders.
                I will rely on Weems exclusion of Amir's name in the tweet and just my history of being a fan of his to guess that Amir may not have been and played. Notice I said "don't think" which means that in addition to Weems tweet I want a second what I consider reliable opinion before I will say that Amir played in that game like Smith did. Smith by the way that he wrote clearly indicated that Amir was definitely there.

Again my position on the whole thing is that unless some activity is specifically prohibited in the contract the player should be allowed to do it.

However, I don't think that playing in these types of scrimmages a wise thing for the player to do it.

So yes, the player can do it if allowed by contract, but no a player should not do it because in my opinion the risk of injury and financial harm to both the player and the team outweighs any positive financial gain resulting from the players playing in this type of situation.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 03:12 PM.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  LOL, yeah because Ed Davis was going to be the deciding factor this year between mediocrity and success.

My thoughts on all this besides the standard "this sucks" and "what was Ed thinking?" is that Julian Wright and Amir Johnson couldn't have dreamed up better situations for themselves coming into this season. Amir is now the undisputed starter no matter how injured Ed really is and Julian is set to get a real shot at PT at a positions he's shown to be very competent at playing. This is it for Wright, this is the break he wanted, here's his career deciding year, I think.
                  I was thinking about what happened and how it may affect Amir. I do agree with you that it will give him the starting job.

Then I got to thinking about Amir and Karma

When Amir played in Detroit the kid could not catch a break with respect to playing time.

1. First two seasons the Pistons had so much depth up front that Johnson only played 11 games for the Pistons those two seasons and about 40 or so as I recall in the D-League.

2. Third season 07-08 he was told by Saunders that he could expect some solid rotation minutes. Everything went great during the pre-season until the last game during which Amir badly twisted one of ankles when he stepped on Jarvis Hayes who was then a teammate of Amis. As a result he never really got back to 100% until January. Then in January he gets some serious minutes with the second unit then newly named "Zoo Crew" . He plays really good in Jan-Mar. The Pistons then went out and signed Theo Ratliff for playoff experience. Amir lost his spot on the second unit to Ratliff and basically that was that. No minutes to speak of in the playoffs.

3. 08-09 Dumars wanted the Pistons to start Amir. Amir starts in pre-season and things go well. First two games of the season and with Billups still there things went well. Then the Pistons traded Billups for Iverson and that began the worst year of Amir's professional career because Iverson would never pass him the ball whereas Billups was. As a result Amir's went into what appeared to be a sadness and as a result played so badly that Curry removed him from the starting slot. Things even got worse from there so by the end of the season Amir was basically glued to the bench with a lot of DND/CDs

So all four seasons with the Pistons he just couldn't catch a break even though they kept moving him up the depth chart.

Then in the summer of '09 Amir was traded by the Pistons to the Bucks. That is when Amir's karma did a complete 180 degree turn

1. Amir got traded to the Raptors
                  2. Then in last-season's training camp after it was pretty well decided that Reggie was going to back up Bosh, Reggie incurred the same basic type of ankle injury that Amir himself hand incurred with the Pistons. Karma payback time. So now Amir gets a chance to play as the season goes on and Reggie remains out Amir's game starts to get better.
                  3. Amir would have finished the season as a bench player. However, Bosh got hurt and Amir got to start for four games. Three of which he played good to very good.
                  4. Amir signs a new contract without knowing if Bosh will stay or go. If Bosh stays Amir remains a bench rotation player. However, the Raptors trade him opening up chance for Amir to battle for a starting job with Davis.
                  5. Amir was going to have to battle Davis for the starting job but now Davis gets hurt. So it looks like a starting job will be his coming opening night.

Amazing how Karma works even if you ain't looking for it.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Sep 18, 2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I've had a scope done for a torn miniscus. There were actually two tears and one was quite substantial. These surgeries are done through 3-4 incisions that are about the size of a ball point pen top. Recovery time is better the more in shape/stronger you are so for an NCAA/NBA athlete it should not be more than 4 weeks. I was running in 2-3 weeks. After 4 there were no effects. The first 5-7 days aren't the most comfortable but once swelling goes down rehab can start immediately. Like many basketball players, I'm sure Davis will have to strengthen the secondary/smaller muscles that provide support and balance in his legs in addition to the regular training of the major muscles that provide strength and power. The lack of focus these secondary muscles are given is why the popularity in strength training on exercise balls in recent years - I know the Phoenix Suns/Steve Nash use this training method extensively.

Comment

this is not good, the knee injury could affect his leaping ability.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        this is not good, the knee injury could affect his leaping ability.
                        It seems to me like you are leaping to conclusions here

Comment

lol yea you are probably right, that was just my knee-jerk reaction.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            lol yea you are probably right, that was just my knee-jerk reaction.
                            Your Knee-Jerk Reaction Can Cause Stress
                            Are you in the De-Stress, Knee Jerk reaction Default? Here are two simple tips to help you escape.
                            Don’t live your life in De-Stress Default. "De-Stress Default" is our normal, knee-jerk reaction when things go wrong. When a child spills milk, our knee-jerk reaction is to become angry. When the boss yells at us, our knee-jerk reaction is to respond negatively or think negatively. When something stressful happens, we tend to become more stressed. Stress is contagious.
                            With our already hectic lifestyles, there are simple ways to avoid the de-stress default trap. We don’t have to allow our stress thermostat to simmer or come to a boil when we come into contact with stressful people or events. We can respond positively.

Here are two simple steps to avoid the de-stress default trap:
                            http://www.buzzle.com/articles/your-...se-stress.html

Comment

Really happy its not a micro-fracture. From what you guys have posted this doesn't seem career threatening. One question,worst case scenario, if he needs surgery is he out more than half a season? Anyone have an idea?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                Really happy its not a micro-fracture. From what you guys have posted this doesn't seem career threatening. One question,worst case scenario, if he needs surgery is he out more than half a season? Anyone have an idea?
                                No idea but his was his last tweet about 10 AM EDT on Satuday
                                eddavis32

Watchin college football all day about 13 hours ago via web
                                It seems like he is probably prohibited at least for now from any basketball related and other physical activity other than walking around.

http://twitter.com/eddavis32

Comment

Working...
                                X