Boston...would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston...would you?

To start off with, and I know half won't read this statement, but first look at would YOU make this trade not would Boston. Secondly, the potential for Boston (more detail below) begins with the rumblings that if they blow up their team they do NOT intend to build around Rondo and therefore he is their trade chip. http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-rond...l-a-possiblity
    The Celtics have shopped Rondo on a number of occasions. For a number of reasons, sources say Boston does not intend to rebuild their roster around Rondo.
    TOR: Rondo, Bos 2013 1st
    BOS: Bayless, Barbosa, TOR 2012 1st

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7x5lg29

Boston is passing its prime, and they can drive a little this year with some energy and spirit (Barbosa and Bayless) that they like but have less of due to age. They would draft the player they potentially do want to rebuild around (the TOR pick), their Salary next year would start at $23M in a desireable franchise, potential to re-up Pietrus, Moore, Wilcox etc, discount re-signing of Garnett/Allen(?). They could become a player in Williams/Howard.

PG: Rondo, Calderon
    SG: Derozan, FA1/draft, Forbes
    SF: FA1, JJ, Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani, Amir, ED,
    C: JVal, AGray (re-sign), Alabi/vet min FA

FA1: Barbosa and Weems for familiarity, Wilson Chandler of course, CLee if released, Mayo etc.

We would also look to trade ED (or Amir) and the Boston pick for a better pick/SF.

No.

But have a swap of first round picks in 2012 and a 2013 Toronto pick going to Boston and I might be interested.

Comment

I would not be interested in trading our 2012 First Round pick. That would be a potentially franchise altering move for the Raptors. Look at the Clippers last year. Which roster would they rather have moving forward?

PG: Paul
      SG: Mo Williams
      SF: Butler
      PF: Griffen
      C: Jordan

Or...

PG: Irving
      SG: Gordan
      SF: Butler
      PF: Griffin
      C: Jordan

Sure, Paul is an upgrade over Irving...but does he account for a developing Irving and Gordan?

Besides, has Rondo improved over the last few years? To me he still has the same great skills (passing and defense) but has not improved in the other areas of the game. Defenses completely fall back off him and dare him to shoot...and he still doesn't. For how great a player he is I still find him very frustrating to watch at times. I would not give up our 2012 pick for him, whether straight up or in a swap for Boston's pick.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I would do it.

The Raptors are unlikely to finish below fourth (Charlotte, New Orleans, and Washington will likely occupy the last three spots) and could easily end up ahead of Detroit and New Jersey. I am far from convinced there is more than a 10% chance we will end up with a franchise player under these circumstances.

Rondo is one of the best point guards in the league and his contract is very reasonable. I also think he would fit well in Casey's defensive and offensive systems.

The C**tics could easily fail to make the playoffs in 2012-13 if they execute this trade. My guess is their 2013 1st round pick would be in the 10-15 range.

I do the trade because I prefer the team takes a significant step forward than to gamble on 1-in-10 odds.

Comment

That's what I was thinking on the Boston 2013 pick. Should be decent. Miller would potentially be there next year if he does not declare this year and Mcadoo is likely next year as well. Just random thoughts.

Comment

no thx i like rondo but i don't think he's franchise changing. I'd rather use the 2012 pick

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              No.

But have a swap of first round picks in 2012 and a 2013 Toronto pick going to Boston and I might be interested.
              Just out of curiosity Matt, would you have given the same answer if you had known the Raptors would finish 8th from the bottom?

Just trying to better understand the importance you give to draft picks with new datum.

Comment

Working...
              X