No announcement yet.

Welcome Quincy Acy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Matt and Niklana. I absolutely loathed the pick last night but after thinking about it I like it. I don't love it, but he certainly fits the Casey mold and I didn't even realize he was that much bigger than Faried.

Keep in mind Acy was probably the second most productive player on Baylor during the tourney, better than PJ3 AND Miller.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

NBA.com Profile Page

Strengths:
      * Competes/motor
      * 7-foot-4 wingspan
      * Explosive leaper
      * Good rebounder
      * Solid defender
      * Makes free throws
      * Can make midrange jump shot
      * Good passer in traffic

Weaknesses:
      * Size a question mark to some
      * Has to improve at creating off the dribble

NBA projection:
      Acy has been projected as a second-round pick, and he's got a chance to impress an NBA team with his combination of athleticism, willingness to perform blue-collar tasks and character. He's also a competitor with a motor that is stuck on high gear.

2011-12 Season:
      Acy was one of Baylor's glue guys as it advanced to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight for the second time in three years. Acy lead the Bears in field-goal percentage, blocked shots and offensive rebounds and was a leader on and off the floor.

Key statistics:
      12.0 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.9 tpg, 0.9 spg, 1.8 bpg, 29.7 mpg, .577 FG, .600 3PT, .782 FT

Cool statistic:
      Nearly half (48.5 percent) of Acy's career field goals were dunks (244 of 503).

Reminds me of:
      Gerald Wallace

What Insiders Say:
      Baylor coach Scott Drew
      "For those who never saw Quincy Acy as a freshman, if he didn't dunk, there was no way he could score. And that's five on zero, one on zero. I mean, the old Mikan drill. He couldn't get two in a row. And the fact he's worked this hard to develop his game, it's a real credit and testament to him. I know he's got the beard and everything, but he's a year younger. He could have stayed in high school another year. And just to see him mature -- that's why you get into coaching, to see guys come on -- he was a little kid, and now he left a man."

What Outsiders Say:
      Xavier coach Chris Mack
      "He's a cage rattler. We knew that. He's just ... I want to see his birth certificate. He's that kid, when you're coaching AAU and you look over, and he just looks so much bigger and stronger than everybody. We knew about him a couple of years ago. He was terrific in Orlando when we lost to Baylor. More of the same today. I can take some of the offensive rebound put-backs, but when he starts facing up and hitting jump shots, it's not what the doctor ordered. It's not fair."

http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/quincy-acy/
      I am really liking this pick. Even if he doesn't get court time, practice intensity just went up a notch.

Comment

Oof. Liking the pick more and more.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He seems like the SF version of Amir. If another big name SF is targeted to the starter and Kleiza is unlikely to be moved, I would think that this pick could spell the end of JJ.

Regardless of who/what is targeted, it seems like at least 1 PF (Davis) and 1 SF (JJ) are expendable. If Nash is indeed acquired, then I would think that both Calderon and Bayless can be added to the 'trade bait' list.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            He seems like the SF version of Amir. If another big name SF is targeted to the starter and Kleiza is unlikely to be moved, I would think that this pick could spell the end of JJ.

Regardless of who/what is targeted, it seems like at least 1 PF (Davis) and 1 SF (JJ) are expendable. If Nash is indeed acquired, then I would think that both Calderon and Bayless can be added to the 'trade bait' list.
            I look at Acy as a PF right now. Maybe he evolves in time but right now he is an undersized PF with a ridiculous wingspan.

Comment

yeah i don't see him playing SF at all
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I look at Acy as a PF right now. Maybe he evolves in time but right now he is an undersized PF with a ridiculous wingspan.
                You think he can play PF? His combine measurement was under 6'8" in shoes... that seems more than a little undersized, unless they're playing small ball.

I could see Davis and JJ being moved, presumeably for a starting SF. Amir is backup PF, Kleiza is backup SF and Acy is 3rd string tweener at both positions, played situationally. In small lineups, I could see all three of them being on the court together in the 2nd unit, with Acy at PF.

Comment

You think he can play PF? His combine measurement was under 6'8" in shoes... that seems more than a little undersized, unless they're playing small ball.

I could see Davis and JJ being moved, presumeably for a starting SF. Amir is backup PF, Kleiza is backup SF and Acy is 3rd string tweener at both positions, played situationally. In small lineups, I could see all three of them being on the court together in the 2nd unit, with Acy at PF.
                  Matt mentioned it before, but he's actually taller and has a longer winspan than Faried. Same type of motor.

"The beast from Baylor" i love it
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Short answer: yes.

He was 6'7.75" in shoes. He is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Reggie Evans and taller than Faried by 1/4 inch - longer wingspan than both. Jason Maxiell is 6'6.25" with a 7'4" wingspan. Paul Millsap is 6'7.25" with a 7'1.25" winspan.

All measurements in shoes.

Comment

Acy might be ok but the thing is that you can pick up a guy like him on the cheap any time (ie. Reggie, Dorsey, Rolando Balkman, etc..). Why not use the second round pick to take a very low risk, high reward gamble like Miller? Boggles my mind.

Comment

I see a Acy player tee in my near future
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

pakdawgie wrote: View Post
                          Acy might be ok but the thing is that you can pick up a guy like him on the cheap any time (ie. Reggie, Dorsey, Rolando Balkman, etc..). Why not use the second round pick to take a very low risk, high reward gamble like Miller? Boggles my mind.
                          Balkman wwas a ere first round picks.

Dorsey was 32.

Comment

He's gonna look good in red and black.

Comment

Personally i'd like to see them use the black unis fulltime but thats for another thread
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Short answer: yes.

He was 6'7.75" in shoes. He is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Reggie Evans and taller than Faried by 1/4 inch - longer wingspan than both. Jason Maxiell is 6'6.25" with a 7'4" wingspan. Paul Millsap is 6'7.25" with a 7'1.25" winspan.

All measurements in shoes.
                                I didn't realize Millsap was that short. I'm sure the few inches makes even less difference for 2nd unit guys. I'm sure BC likes the lineup flexibility that Gray (C), Amir (C/PF), Acy (PF/SF), Kleiza (PF/SF) and JJ (PF/SF/SG?) would provide on the 2nd unit... they could go big or small, giving all sorts of looks, depending on the opposition and the in-game situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X