ESPN Rumour: Bosh for Bynum Done Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    If we do end up trading Bosh for Bynum, I'd "still" like to see the Raps trade Calderon to the Warriors for Maggette.

How would this Raps team stack up against the best in the East:

Starters
    PG: Jack
    SG: Derozan
    SF: Maggette
    PF: Bargs
    C: Bynum

Bench
    PG: Hedo (Point Forward), Banks
    SG: Belinelli
    SF: Weems
    PF: Evans
    C: Amir

And we would also have our draft pick (the best player available).
    There's no way Golden State would want Calderon. Now if they want to trade Maggette for Bargnani, I'd do that.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Okay lets compare some numbers from this season.

Games played Bynum 65 Johnson 82
      Points per 36 minutes as a starter Bynum 17.8 Johnson 19.6
      Rebounds per 36 minutes Bynum 9.9 Johnson 9.8
      Total Rebounding % Bynum 15.3% Johnson 16.1%
      True Field Goal % Bynum .608 Johnson .639
      Effective Field Goal % Bynum .570 Johnson .623

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...bynuman01.html

Defensive Rating - Team points allowed per 100 possessions when on the court vs when off the court. The bigger the negative number the better.

Bynum 103.33 vs 103.34 or -1.01
      Johnson 107.92 vs 116.17 or -8.25

http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...r=ASC&team=TOR

Opponents Field Goal Percentage on court vs off court - The smaller the number the better

Bynum 48.6% vs 48.3% or plus .3%
      Johnson 48.0% vs 53.1% or minus 5.1%

Fouls per 36 minutes as a starter
      ----------------------------------------
      Bynum 3.6
      Johnson 4.0

So fouls per 36 minutes as a starter is the only category that Bynum beat Johnson in and the difference was not that much.

In addition

1. Johnson has no problem being motivated
      2. So far, cross fingers and toes, Bynum as been far more injury prone.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Another question no one is asking is do we really want Bosh moving to the division rival Knicks? My answer is no.
        Yep, ship him West...

Comment

Didnt Vecsey (NY Post) have this trade in Jan.? Didnt go down then and probably wont again. I dont know how the triangle offense works exactly... but how does having 2 PFs (Gasol & Bosh) with similar skill sets make LA better? They would have a large defensive disadvantage when a big like Howard or a Yao came to town. They would be probably be better off chasing someone like Chris Paul...a point guard which they need much more. If they had to give up Bynum they could even get a big body like Shaq back as a defensive big body presence only (wouldnt that be delicious irony!).

If the deal goes down it would be nice to do a bigger one by sending Jose along as well.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Defensive Rating - Team points allowed per 100 possessions when on the court vs when off the court. The bigger the negative number the better.

Opponents Field Goal Percentage on court vs off court - The smaller the number the better

Bynum 3.6
            Johnson 4.0

So fouls per 36 minutes as a starter is the only category that Bynum beat Johnson in and the difference was not that much.

In addition

Dang Buddha, I actually agree with you about something!

Bynum is a sulky, inconsistent, injury prone risk. We'd be asking too much of him in terms of both minutes and leadership/performance, and our coaching staff couldn't motivate him. He'd be yet another question mark, if-only, maybe/someday Raptor. I'm tired of question marks.

How many years have we heard about how 'Bynum is about to have a breakthrough season?'

The fact that L.A. would do this deal in a second (and I'd do it if I were them, too) worries me.
            Last edited by Copywryter; Thu Apr 29, 2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
              There's no way Golden State would want Calderon. Now if they want to trade Maggette for Bargnani, I'd do that.
              (NOTE: I realize this discussion is OT for this thread, but it was one I intiated ealier on page 2).

I respectfully disagree.

1) Now that Don Nelson has finally become the the NBA career wins leader, he's probably going to retire. A new coach will likely want to re-tool the the roster and inplement a different system. *As it stands, the Warriors don't have a true pass-first PG or a legit back-up PG.

2) Calderon and Maggette have nearly identical contracts (years and dollars). Trading them would be a even swap.

3) Maggette has been disgruntled with the Warriors and may not fit in their long-term plans (given his age and contract). They are stacked with young athletes at the SF/PF position and are going to get another lottery pick this year.
              Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Thu Apr 29, 2010, 01:14 PM.
              RR OG

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                1) Now that Don Nelson has finally become the the NBA career wins leader, he's probably going to retire. A new coach will likely want to re-tool the the roster and inplement a different system. *As it stands, the Warriors don't have a true pass-first PG or a legit back-up PG.
                So then what is Stephen Curry? He creates offense for his teammates and for himself. He may not be pass-first, but he's certainly not selfish. The warriors may be more interested in Jack to back up Curry because Calderon's price tag is too steep.

Comment

When was the last time that Maggette played on a team with a winning record?

Answer 2005-06. That has been the only year in Maggette's 11 years in the league that he has ever played on a winning team. In the meantime he has played on some pretty awful teams during those 11 years.

Why would the Raptors want a guy who for all intense in purposes has never played on a winning NBA team over 11 years?

You could say it is not his fault, but there is a reason that some guys spend most of their career toiling for lousy teams and it is not because they know how to win.

2 thumbs down to the Raptors acquiring Maggette.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bynum 3.6
                    Johnson 4.0

In addition

ya whatever...johnson has never been a starter....while bynum is the starter for the current champs...if you think johnson is better than bynum right now....then your outta you mind...

Comment

A00715890 wrote: View Post
                      ya whatever...johnson has never been a starter....while bynum is the starter for the current champs...if you think johnson is better than bynum right now....then your outta you mind...
                      You keep thinking that way.

Watch and learn over the next couple of years.

Comment

A00715890 wrote: View Post
                        You keep thinking that way.

Watch and learn over the next couple of years.

Comment

From an X's and O's standpoint if you have to keep players like Bargs and Turkoglu, you need a rock in the post like Bynum. The Raps could then try an Orlando-type formula. But the Lakers would be significantly changed. Who would defend the post for them? Sure, they'd score like Derek Jeter in Ft. Lauderdale during the March Break, but offense alone will not carry the day.

Comment

So Maggette gets condemned for not playing on a winner in his career and Bosh gets praised for knowing how to deal with losses and a grueling 82 game schedule. Seems like they are both in the same boat. Both guys are great at putting up good numbers on bad teams.

I'm down to resign Bosh simply because the raptors won't see a player of his value come along very often, but his super max contract will be one of the worst in the league and if it can turned into a player of Bynums franchise altering potential, its ridiculous to not jump at that opportunity.

Aside from the obvious character disparities what is the difference between Chris Bosh and Zach Randolph?

Comment

I love Johnson and his motor. The only problem is whether he can stay in games. He's a hack machine. He's gotta work on that. He's athletic enough to stay with bigs, he just has to use his hands and positioning better. You can't go wrong with both him and Bynum on the same team. Imagine Bynum at the 5 and Johnson at the 4? It's almost drool-worthy if you're a Raptors fan.

Comment

Bynum 3.6
                                Johnson 4.0

In addition

nice analysis. but youre missing the 3 most key things for the raptors:

blks
                                Johnson - .8
                                Bynum - 1.5

height
                                johnson - 6'9"
                                bynum - 7'0"

position
                                johnson - PF
                                bynum - C

are you seriously considering playing a frontline of hedo, bargs and amir? against lets say shaq, jamison and lebron? or perkins, KG and pierce? id be happy to have Amir back, but he cant be a solid starter. he can be a starter if bargs goes down, but other than that, i think he's more a role player.

Comment

Working...
                                X