Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is Canada's Men's Basketball Team So Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Canada's Men's Basketball Team So Bad?

Just opening this up for debate to see what you guys think? Why is it that we're so horribly bad when it comes to international basketball? With being eliminated by New Zealand this afternoon in the FIBA world tournament, it got me wondering why is it that outside of a couple decent years with Nash playing and back in the day during Triano's youth, why is it that year after year we continue playing poorly?

I know this isn't Raptors related, but I thought it would get the most looks in this forum than in one of the others.

Anyhow, thoughts?

I think Rautins is majorly under-qualified to be our Head Coach.

I think it was done initially as a PR Move since Rautins happens to be one of the more recognizable figures in Canadian Basketball but it's painfully obvious watching the games that he is overmatched, and the program has actually regressed under his care. Shouldn't be that surprising however since Rautins is not actually a coach. He is an analyst and a former player but that does not mean he is qualified for this job. He never coached prior to this and I think it's really shown through, especially at these WC's.

Comment

enough said.

Comment

Because they're Canadian. Its in our genetic makeup to lose, unless its hockey of course. I dont really understand that one, maybe because our ancestors lived on the arctic tundra and hit stuff with sticks while the ice age in the quaternary period passed.

sorry. I'm studying for this stupid test and the only reprieve I've given myself is raptors oriented deets, unfortunately they're so scarce or stupid (mello trade) that I'm going crazy.

On a serious note, I think its team chemistry. I was watching the game against Lithuania and they were up over 15pts and lost by 2. They had problems closing out quarters and when their better playmakers (Rautins, Anderson) were out the team collapsed.

Comment

Because the collegate/highschool levels are so much less than that of our American neighboors. Think about it in the US there is the NCAA and thats sub divided into the confrences (SCC , big 10 etc) In canada (at least in Ontario) its all just province based, no national exposure. Plus there high school programs are so much more advanced than ours. Ex I live in Ontario and Michigan and the State Championship is contested by far better teams than the OFFSAA title is. Plus its a whole diffrent mindset. If we want Basketball to grow in Canada (its not imposible, it was Huge in canada when carter was in toronto) we need to do what the USA has done in growing hockey there.
          What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Andy Rautins injury

Comment

lol its a mixture of things.......people seem to forget that basketball is very popular outside of north america and the teams in europe, south america etc are pretty good. and like "the_aftermath" stated all Canada really seriously focuses on in developling athletes is hockey. i used to play so i know how many top of the line training centers are out here for that but to be honest with you ive never seen an ACTUAL legitimate basketball training center. so tell me, with so little exposure to basketball in this country how are they not going to lose to teams that are more talented? i remember teams like spain and greece are mostly always in it because theyve taken basketball seriously for a long time.

Comment

I think in a few years Team Canada will be very good. The junior teams did really well in the past World Championships (U-17 bronze, U-18 bronze) and it will take some time for them to move up to the Senior Team but hopefully by the 2016 Wrold Championships we'll be competing for a medal. There's a lot of good young players coming up and maybe not all of them will pan out but for sure some will and they'll make Canada much better.
                Canada Basketball is a rebuild mode right now. I don't know how much you can blame Rautins Sr, it's not like he has much to work with especially when his best players (Rautins Jr and J. Anderson) are injured or recovering from injury. When Rautins jr was healthy they beat that same France team twice and they were playing much better. I saw them when they played here in Vancouver and you could tell that with no Andy Rautins it was tough for them to score.

Comment

Canada should have beaten Lebanon and New Zealand.

Comment

I managed to catch the last 3 games and I'd say the team's list of needs goes like this:

1. Playmaking. The team desperately needs a backup point guard and some players aside from Rautins and Anderson that can create opportunities for others and are comfortable handling the ball and spotting mismatches in pressure situations.

2. Individual shot creation. The team doesn't have any kind of go-to scorer and lacks players that can reliably generate high percentage looks in one-on-one situations.

3. Offensive confidence. The team is a collection of players that can hit the open shot and play opportunistically, but most of them aren't comfortable forcing the action, putting pressure on the defense to react, and taking advantage of defensive breakdowns.

4. Rebounding. Aside from Joel Anthony, the Canadian squad struggles to control the boards.

5. 3-point shooting. The team has a lot of players that are decent from deep but not great and not particularly reliable, save for the injured Rautins.

6. A bench. Pretty self-explanatory, there's just too large a gap between the top 6-7 and the rest of the squad.

The team is scrappy and plays with heart (if not composure down the stretch), it just lacks talent. Luckily, as has been mentioned above, Canada has a lot of quality young players coming up through the ranks. The point guard spot is looking particularly bright and would address what looks like the biggest weakness on the squad, the drop-off that occurs every time Anderson takes a seat. But yeah, it's going to take at least another 4-6 years for the young kids to be ready to put Canada on the basketball map.

Comment

I think the main reason is they are not as organized. You look at other teams like the US, Brazil or Spain, they are very organized. Also, team Canada doesn't really seem to have a lot of basketball I.Q. as a whole. Maybe it's the chemistry but watching the Lebanon game and the Luthianian(?) game, they were all over the place turning the ball etc.

Comment

I think that people often unfairly criticize a coach for the team's play, but in this case, I'm not sold on Rautins. Things I have heard from those who are inside Team Canada have made me think he's not the right guy for the job. Also, I think Team Canada is far too political and far too cliquey. I think they exclude certain players or certain types of players because they they haven't been brought up in the system or don't play a certain way.

I think there are certainly a fantastic group of players coming up, but until they fix what is wrong with Team Canada, they'll always underperform.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                          I think the main reason is they are not as organized. You look at other teams like the US, Brazil or Spain, they are very organized. Also, team Canada doesn't really seem to have a lot of basketball I.Q. as a whole. Maybe it's the chemistry but watching the Lebanon game and the Luthianian(?) game, they were all over the place turning the ball etc.
                          I think that's an indicator of the talent level more than anything. Like what Lark Benson said, there's not too many playmakers on this edition of Team Canada outside of Anderson, and even then he's good but not great.

Comment

santimo wrote: View Post
                            I think that's an indicator of the talent level more than anything. Like what Lark Benson said, there's not too many playmakers on this edition of Team Canada outside of Anderson, and even then he's good but not great.
                            Team Canada isn't that bad of a team talent wise. Yes, they may not be the best but they do have some good players on there. If anything it's the coaching staff. I don't think that this team was prepared enough coming into the tournament.

Comment

santimo wrote: View Post
                              I think in a few years Team Canada will be very good.
                              Hell yes. I coach OBA, and the national team will be taking some very good players from us very soon.
                              Joshua Priemski
                              NBA blogger
                              SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                              www.RufusOnFire.com/
                              www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Working...
                              X