Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifying Offer Extended To Weems

Let the polarizing opinions begin

Edit: I mean a qualifying offer was extended, my bad. Mods to the rescue.

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have extended a qualifying offer to restricted free agent guard-forward Sonny Weems. Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

In accordance with the league’s collective bargaining agreement, in order for a team to retain its rights of first refusal with respect to a restricted free agent it must tender the player a qualifying offer prior to June 30. A restricted free agent may sign an offer sheet with any team, but is subject to a right of first refusal in favour of the NBA team for which the player last played.
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/2011...ng-offer-weems
    @sweatpantsjer

Does Sonny even have a team option? I thought he did not:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Comment

Oh, Apollo.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

As per Raptors.com:

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have extended a qualifying offer to restricted free agent guard-forward Sonny Weems. Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

In accordance with the league’s collective bargaining agreement, in order for a team to retain its rights of first refusal with respect to a restricted free agent it must tender the player a qualifying offer prior to June 30. A restricted free agent may sign an offer sheet with any team, but is subject to a right of first refusal in favour of the NBA team for which the player last played.
        Source - Click here

Comment

As a bench 2, learning his place and role on the team: sure; as a starter, a 3, or a high minute player: no.

Comment

This is likely just a technicality, to give the Raps options:

- now if a team is interested in signing him, there is potential to make it a S&T, where the Raps might get a small piece in return (even a 2nd round pick would be nice)

- if the Raps don't want him and can't get anything for him in a S&T, they can rescind the qualifying offer and it costs them nothing

- if the Raps can't work out another move (trade/free agent) to bring in another wing, they could re-sign Weems for cheap as the 4th wing behind DeRozan/J.Johnson/Barbosa (since Kleiza will miss significant time rehabbing from surgery)

Comment

It was a cheap signing, Weems made <1Mil last year, I think he's a solid bench player he tried too much after coming back from his injury after all it was a contract year. But with D.Casey now as the coach I think we'll be seeing much better defense and we DEFINITELY won't be seeing "Chuck" Weems.

Comment

I think it's fine he comes back. He's still young and can be useful off the bench. It's not like this team is going for a ring yet.
                Stand tall or fall short

Comment

This doesn't mean they're going to keep him, just that they're keeping their options open and they could justify keeping him at a low rate.

Comment

id kind of like to see what he could do under casey
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I LIke Weems. He's athletic, a good mid-range shooter and has the ability to defend (though he often chose not to). I too think Casey will bring the best out of him. Besides, his relationship with DeMar and Amir can't be ignored. I'm very interested to see if they try to bring Reggie back; we need his (or someone's) toughness!

Comment

Well, with Linas out till February it makes sense why they would being Weems back. Just kind of disappointed that there weren't better options at SF.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          This doesn't mean they're going to keep him, just that they're keeping their options open and they could justify keeping him at a low rate.
                          He had a couple of eye brow raising 20 games runs. I think he has the physical tools to be a rotation guard in this league but there is something with regard to his conduct or influence on DeDe or both that gets him derailed and falls out of favor with the coaches.

But make no mistake about it when he is at the top of his game he is a player and it is no fluke. If the price is right <= 2 mill I could see them adding him for another season.
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                            He had a couple of eye brow raising 20 games runs. I think he has the physical tools to be a rotation guard in this league but there is something with regard to his conduct or influence on DeDe or both that gets him derailed and falls out of favor with the coaches.

But make no mistake about it when he is at the top of his game he is a player and it is no fluke. If the price is right <= 2 mill I could see them adding him for another season.
                            I guess also with the uncertainty around the new CBA, the price could be very right for at least a serviceable body.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Does Sonny even have a team option? I thought he did not:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
                              I'm just taking a wild guess here, and my info is based on NBA 2K 11, but I don't think team and qualifying options are the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X