OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    Yes, but cant Fields & Toronto mutually void the rfa offer and go the s&t route as long as the numbers were the same? Unless this is against the nba rules of course.

But if you were the knicks and wanted Fields back and the raps needed you to make their deal????

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
      To make an offer to an UFA we have to be able to give him the salary. I don't think it could be on a condition that the NYK agree to a sign and Trade
      Renounce cap-holds (other than JV), then tell NY to either do S&T or we sign him outright. If they agree, it's done immediately on call with league, so it's not something they can go back on. Toronto would lose rights to Bayless, but keep MLE and TPE.

Comment

To make an offer to an UFA we have to be able to give him the salary. I don't think it could be on a condition that the NYK agree to a sign and Trade
        jbml wrote: View Post
        But to get the cap space we have a pile of renouncing to do basically our own FA's and the TPE. If I am following this discussion correctly.
        I think you are correct on this with the exception of he is a RFA.

To make the offer, the Raps must have the cap space. However, if NY signs him to the deal ($6.3M per season, forget poison pill, or $6.05, $6.32, $6.1 - 3 years/$18.97M) and sends him to Toronto, then we are all good.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Renounce cap-holds (other than JV), then tell NY to either do S&T or we sign him outright. If they agree, it's done immediately on call with league, so it's not something they can go back on. Toronto would lose rights to Bayless, but keep MLE and TPE.
          I see your point, but I am still stuck that we have to relinquish the TPE as well as the Cap holds to get to the point where we can get both Lowry and Fields

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I think you are correct on this with the exception of he is a RFA.

To make the offer, the Raps must have the cap space. However, if NY signs him to the deal ($6.3M per season, forget poison pill, or $6.05, $6.32, $6.1 - 3 years/$18.97M) and sends him to Toronto, then we are all good.
            I meant RFA thanks

But we would still require Cap space or the TPE, in which case I do not think we are gaining anything
            Last edited by jbml; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I meant RFA thanks

But we would still require Cap space or the TPE.
              If you have the cap space then you use that to absorb the contract via a trade while keeping all exceptions and cap holds.

You do not have to renounce the TPE to make a trade assuming Toronto/Fields/New York are all in agreement on contract.

Comment

• 40 mil in Salary
                16 mil in holds
                14 mil in exemptions

Assuming a cap of 58. We need 47 mil to land Fields and Lowry The math is close but 16 mil in holds plus 7 mil TPE relinquished gives us 47 mil

Are you thinking holds are not a factor in trades?

There may be a chance to hold on to the TPE, but the MLE would be gone??

Comment

40 mil in Salary
                  16 mil in holds
                  14 mil in exemptions

Assuming a cap of 58. We need 47 mil to land Fields and Lowry The math is close but 16 mil in holds plus 7 mil TPE relinquished gives us 47 mil

Are you thinking holds are not a factor in trades?

There may be a chance to hold on to the TPE, but the MLE would be gone??
                  That is exactly what I am saying - not thinking. It is 100% accurate - unless Larry Coon lied.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post143706

If Raps could get Fields in S&T, they still have MLE and TPE.

Comment

• Ok I see your point.
                    Tomorrow should be interesting

Comment

I see your point, but I am still stuck that we have to relinquish the TPE as well as the Cap holds to get to the point where we can get both Lowry and Fields
                      You don't have to renounce the TPE, because it's not a cap-hold like RFAs. The TPE can't even be used until the team is over the cap, but they have to get to the cap via trades, not through free agent signings.

I think you are getting stuck because you're adding the $7.6M value of the TPE to the total cap-holds/team salary, which you don't need to do. If you look at the list of cap-holds on shamsports.com, you'll notice that the TPE isn't included in any calculations. A TPE's greatest benefit is enabling a team to add salary beyond the cap.

Comment

• sheridanhoops profile

sheridanhoops I can predict, from talking to numerous sources, that every single offer sheet except Landry Fields' will be matched.

Comment

sheridanhoops profile

sheridanhoops I can predict, from talking to numerous sources, that every single offer sheet except Landry Fields' will be matched.
                          this is good news. i expect fields to silence the nay sayers. a bit too much money for what he has shown so far but he will be greatly appreciated here on the republic

Comment

• With Bayless signing with Memphis, things just became much more clear:

committed salaries: $43.211
                            Calderon, Bargnani, Amir, Kleiza, DD, JJ, ED, Ross, Forbes

cap holds: $6.702M
                            Weems, JV, Gray

Raps sign Fields at $6.3M per year.

These numbers put the Raps at committed salary at $53.213M. This means the Raps are $169k away from having the MLE. Seems to me they should totally renounce Weems - unless the numbers are not right - as that would remove his cap hold and give them the MLE.

Trade for Lowry and Raps are at $57.463M.

I think the MLE and TPE are both gone UNLESS Gray's rights are kept and he is signed with half the MLE leaving the other half ($2.5M) available. If MLE and TPE are both gone, room exception is what signs Gray.

Comment

With Bayless signing with Memphis, things just became much more clear:

committed salaries: $43.211
                              Calderon, Bargnani, Amir, Kleiza, DD, JJ, ED, Ross, Forbes

cap holds: $6.702M
                              Weems, JV, Gray

Raps sign Fields at $6.3M per year.

These numbers put the Raps at committed salary at $53.213M. This means the Raps are $169k away from having the MLE. Seems to me they should totally renounce Weems - unless the numbers are not right - as that would remove his cap hold and give them the MLE.

Trade for Lowry and Raps are at $57.463M.

I think the MLE and TPE are both gone UNLESS Gray's rights are kept and he is signed with half the MLE leaving the other half ($2.5M) available. If MLE and TPE are both gone, room exception is what signs Gray.
                              I thought we already renounced weems?
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                I thought we already renounced weems?
                                His qualifying offer was withdrawn. Not the same thing as renounced.

He is still a cap hold of 2 year veteran minimum of $854k.

Comment

Working...
                                X