Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    I want to see things done right, and if my negativity bothers you, then please feel free to ignore my posts. I'm not a negative person unless there is a driving force behind it, and right now, if you look at recent history and where the team is headed at least in the immediate future, I think most would agree that my negativity is rightly justified.
    I was just kidding around.

I disagree, I think many think that we are trending upwards, except not untill next year will it be with results.

Comment

i on the other hand love being negative. But, with a name like soft euro, I'm not sure how I can make that more negative?
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        i on the other hand love being negative. But, with a name like soft euro, I'm not sure how I can make that more negative?
        That was (intended to be) sarcasm/irony. I joined when the anti-Euro sentiment around all Raptorparts was extremely high and as a longterm Raptorfan from Europe I was very annoyed by this. I stupidly mashed the comment section on the main site up with the forum and thought this was happening without counter on here as well. I still like the name ...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          ..I still like the name ...
          I love the name and love the sarcasm. Don't ever change it.

Comment

Let's get realistic. We ain't getting any of those names on the original post. I'd say we have a better chance via draft/trade route and pick up some vet FAs.

If we're lucky and draft a guy like drummond (he'd be an awesome compliment to a skinny jonas) then we should trade guys like ed, bargs, derozan. I can see us trading for gordon (eg derozan & ed) and trade bargs for a good small forward or draft pick.

I'm not sold on trading jose as I think he can be a good facilitator and he'll come much cheaper after the current contract is over.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Yeah, he's right.

Sign Gordon and draft MKG or Miller.

Lineup next season:

Calderon
              Gordon
              MKG/Miller
              Bargs
              Big Val

With DeMar/Ed/Amir/Forbes coming off the bench. That's a team.
              I like that that team. Our biggest need is a SG

Comment

there would be two rookies for sure but the talent level of this starting five is light years ahead of the talent we put on the floor now. Opposing teams would actually have to defend every position! what a novel idea that is!

Comment

We are definitely lacking a "shooting guard", I love DeMar, but I think we need an pure/authentic 2. I know we have always commented that DeMar is too small to play SF, but I think it suits his game more. If we go into the offseason committing to him moving to the 3 maybe he can bulk up a bit. If that is not an option I think he is our future 6th man that subs for both positions. Mind you this could be premature and he might come out of the funk.

As for the Draft I think we should draft Lamb. Hopefully trade for another draft pick and draft Kabongo, Teague, or Marshall and groom them. Jose would be an amazing mentor, but I still think Jose is the starter on this team for another couple years.

In free agency we take a run at a starting small forward: Galinari, Chandler, Batum, Wallace (if he opts out), or any other good SF. My preference would be Chandler. We need someone with some fire and swagger on this team. We also need a guy that is scared of taking that crucial shot. We should also sign Thompson as our back up Centre. I think we should also sign Goran Dragic as our pack up PG

Val/Thompson/Amir
                  Bargs/Ed Davis/Amir
                  W. Chandler/DeMar/J.J./Weems
                  Lamb/DeMar/Forbes/Weems
                  Calderon/Dragic/Rookie

I think Barbosa should be traded at the deadline for a draft pick or let him expire. Kleiza should be amnestied. Bayless and the rest of the free agents should be let go. I think this could be a playoff team and we still have our 2013 pick to add to this core. That has potential to be a great starting line up and a great bench. I'm not opposed to trading Ed for another draft pick this year. I think Amir is a guy to keep, and in the line up above Amir takes a backseat.
                  Last edited by saints91; Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

FA filled with '08 players?

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Interesting read.
                    The main part being:

Sources have consistently maintained that there would be no extensions coming for Minnesota forward Michael Beasley, taken second overall in '08, Memphis guard O.J. Mayo, taken third overall, Nets center Brook Lopez (10th), Kings forward Jason Thompson (12th), Hornets forward/center Marreese Speights (16th), Kings forward J.J. Hickson (19th), Rockets guard Courtney Lee (22nd) and Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur (27th), who is out for the season with an achilles' injury. The Charlotte Observer reported earlier this week that the Bobcats would not extend guard D.J. Augustin (ninth) or forward D.J. White (29th).

If we have a lot of cap space, Colangelo might just go on a mass shopping spree.
                    Which of the players would you take a look at?

Personally I would look at Lee, Mayo, and Augustin.

Comment

Honestly, no one from that list appeals to me. I'm not saying that there aren't some good players there but none of them seem to make a lot of sense for the Raptors this summer.

Comment

i hate speculating on hypotheticals.... but fuck, i would love to see Lee on the raps

Comment

I used to like Lee (back during his rookie year with Orlando), but he's been fairly quiet since then. Maybe he just overachieved playing with a good veteran team that made it to the finals.

I love the idea of acquiring Mayo, but who knows what the asking price would be. If he's traded this year, it appears Memphis is looking for a 1st round pick in exchange, and you can guarantee Colangelo won't be giving that up unless a superstar is on his way to Toronto (Rudy Gay?).

Augustine is a nice piece, but I don't see him being the PG to lead us to respectability. If we don't address the PG situation this summer, I don't mind rolling the dice with Calderon another season, and trying to land a PG in 2013.

Comment

I don't see many starters among the group. The Raptors have some decent role players. They need starting talent.

The only player I would be interested in is Courtney Lee in a backup SG role - 3 & D.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              The only player I would be interested in is Courtney Lee in a backup SG role - 3 & D.
                              i was thinking pretty much the same thing.... but not "backup" in the sense of 6th man.... backup in case demar never grows a pair.

Lee isnt a world-killer by any stretch of the imagination... but he's a solid player

Comment

That list is underwhelming. Restricted free agents are risky to chase after. We could sign Lee to an offer sheet, but then our space is tied up for a player we don't even have. Rockets wait 7 day's, all the other free agents we wanted sign with other teams, Rockets match.

Teams let players they want to keep hit RFA all the time. Sometimes at that point, they even encourage their guy to seek a contract elsewhere. Once market value is determined, they wait the full 7 day's, then match. It's something we should do with Derozan, even if we do want to keep him.

Comment

Working...
                                X