Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    You're 16 lol
    17 lol and it doesnt have to be alcoholic

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Wow. If you want a sad, depressing, city-loathing, and organization-loathing read this morning, here you go.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...job_kelly.html

I can't get behind the premise but I have been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if I was now. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as Kelly makes it out to be. There has to be a desire by Ujiri to see through what he started in Denver plus add in the loyalty to an organization that gave him his start in a paid NBA position and as a GM, the friendship with ownership, and the raise from Denver that was coming (2-3x his $500k - so the 500% raise is not quite telling of the real financial situation, 50-100% is though and that is still a lot of money but not 500%).
      So yeah. Further evidence Kelly is not in tune with anything NBA related, lacks sources, and is an overall negative Ned when it comes to Toronto:

Kroenke said he wasn’t going to stand in the way of Masai Ujiri leaving for his dream job as GM of the Toronto Raptors last week and he couldn’t stomach watching George Karl serve as a lame duck next season, so he fired him Thursday.

Ujiri and Kroenke had a handshake agreement on a new deal earlier this year, but Kroenke said the one team he would allow to step in and break up their partnership was the Raptors, the team that had given Ujiri his first shot at a front office job.

He said Ujiri told him not to try to match the reported five-year, $15 million offer from Toronto because he’d already made up his mind he wanted to return to Toronto.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/06/0...iri-difficult/
      Seems pretty clear the hold up was all about Masai cluing up loose ends before moving on.

Dream job.

It is nice to know it is not ALL about the money and this is where he truly wants to be.

Comment

• I heard someplace else (apologies cannot recall) that an important consideration for MU was his basketball foundation in Africa and that the Raptors would privately help fund it. Probably also important is that Josh Kroenke is a hands on Pres. of the Denver operation/KSE. I believe MU has much more autonomy here.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          Not to bring it around but I think Milwaukee had more talent than us as well as playing better

Jennings > Lowry
          Ellis > DeRozan
          Ilysova > Amir
          Dunleavy >Kleiza
          Reddick > Ross
          Jennings had a horrible year so i don't agree with him being better than lowry and Monta is probably a better scorer than DeMar so i'll give you that one. Also i love how you left out our two best players in Valanciunas and Gay, those two alone are more talented than any player on the Milwaukee roster.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
            You're 16 lol
            A lot of people at my school drink... so its not uncommon
            Me on the other hand, my parents would kill me if i even touched alcohol at this age lol

Comment

• Kinda random, but here's Lawson sporting a Raptor cap. Probably just being funny with the whole Ujiri situation. Or maybe he actually likes the logo, or the team. Or is going to become a Raptor today (joking)

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                A lot of people at my school drink... so its not uncommon
                Me on the other hand, my parents would kill me if i even touched alcohol at this age lol
                dont be such a pussy lol

Comment

• d749 wrote: View Post
                  dont be such a pussy lol
                  I don't even want to drink... so how exactly am i being a pussy?

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    I don't even want to drink... so how exactly am i being a pussy?
                    I remember going to a party when I was 17 and watching four guys in a row puke their guts out over the porch railing. I didn't have more than a beer or two at a time until I was almost 20. Then I puked my guts out a bunch of times over the next few years. I can't say slamming back a pile of booze ever ensured I had more fun than if I had been a lot more moderate. I did notice my decision making was a lot worse after drinking

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I did notice my decision making was a lot worse after drinking
                      but you got laid way more because of that decision making.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        but you got laid way more because of that decision making.

It depends ;D many negative side effects with alcohol, starting from being total douche, ending with some serious concentration problems
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          17 lol and it doesnt have to be alcoholic
                          Well, I'm 17, but when someone goes "I'm going to drink for him", NO one is going to assume you're going to take a sip of coca cola or milk for him lol.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• They agreed that night to a multiyear deal for $1.2 million a season, sources said. But it was a handshake deal intended to be signed later, as Ujiri still had a year left on his contract.

As anyone who has negotiated with the Kroenke family knows, they take contractual obligations seriously. Finish one contract, then work on the next. Even former Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix had to wait on an extension, this after his team won the Stanley Cup. Throughout the 2012-13 season, Kroenke steadfastly believed he had a deal with Ujiri. But, Ujiri got antsy as the season wore on and there was no pen-to-paper agreement.

Meanwhile, Toronto loomed on the horizon. Kroenke would say in hindsight he was always wary of the Raptors, the team Ujiri worked for prior to Denver.

During a trip to Toronto in a previous season, Kroenke saw first-hand how much Ujiri enjoyed the eclectic and electric big city. And Ujiri remained close with numerous team executives there with whom he had worked.

And so, when Toronto called to interview Ujiri in May, Kroenke was stuck. He believed his handshake agreement with Ujiri was still sturdy, but soon Kroenke realized he might lose the executive of the year.

Many point to the five-year, $15 million contract Ujiri got as the main reason he left. But Kroenke revealed Friday at a news conference that Ujiri told him not to try to match it.

Why? Kroenke believes that even if he matched Toronto's offer, Ujiri still would have left to go "home," a word Masai used in his introductory news conference with the Raptors, a word that "made it clear" to Kroenke that Ujiri preferred Toronto to Denver. (Ujiri, in Italy for draft scouting, did not respond to messages when asked about this).

Read more: Josh Kroenke in sole control of team vision as Nuggets president - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...#ixzz2Vj2vD2bx
                            Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
                            Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
                            Interesting stuff.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Interesting stuff.
                              Cathal Kelly should write a retraction. What a bonehead.

Comment

• Not sure how legit this is, but it's out there and indicates that Masai and Casey are in lock-step. Also sounds like they want to add 4 players (vets?) to the roster. http://raptorfan.ca/2013/06/11/break...h-coach-casey/

Throwing in here because I think it adds to the convo. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X