Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i've been saying that all along but everyone here besides us 3 hates on derozan like no tomorrow. They want some unproven rookie to take his place. Remember when Paul pierce was drafted? he and the celtics never made they playoffs for like 4 straight seasons and once they added some talent around him he exploded. For all we know the same thing could happen with DeMar
    The difference is that Pierce is a legit superstar. His rookie numbers were better than DeRozan's current numbers.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      The difference is that Pierce is a legit superstar. His rookie numbers were better than DeRozan's current numbers.
      that because he was their main offensive player at the time and he was more well rounded coming out of college. He played 3 years at kansas before coming to the nba. DeRozan played a year at USC and then got drafted at like 19 years of age, he's still a bit raw but he's improving. Next year i expect big numbers

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        that because he was their main offensive player at the time and he was more well rounded coming out of college. He played 3 years at kansas before coming to the nba. DeRozan played a year at USC and then got drafted at like 19 years of age, he's still a bit raw but he's improving. Next year i expect big numbers
        Expect big numbers, or hope for big numbers?

Comment

• Chisholm on DeRozan

The fact is that a pure scorer that only shoots .422 from the field and .261 from three is a problem. It's a problem that is exacerbated by the fact that DeRozan doesn't rebound, can't make plays for others and still struggles creating shots off the dribble. Will DeRozan be back with Toronto next season? Almost assuredly. However, as the team looks to upgrade their scoring attack DeRozan may find himself in a vastly different role, perhaps even as an offensive punch off of the bench, unless he can do a lot this summer to round out his game. He's had three years in the NBA with basically unlimited minutes and touches handed to him but with wins starting to matter next season the club may not be able to afford to indulge him without him doing a lot more on the court to justify their indulgences.
          http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=394030

Comment

• Sounds a lot like a certain 7 footer we have on our team. Except he just finished his 6th season and will probably be starting again in his 7th. I would be very surprised if DeMar starts the season next year on the bench.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Sounds a lot like a certain 7 footer we have on our team. Except he just finished his 6th season and will probably be starting again in his 7th. I would be very surprised if DeMar starts the season next year on the bench.
              Agreed. No way a rookie starts over him. When you think about it their aren't many SG that are available that would be an upgrade. .422 from the field is really unlike him. I think it goes up to .460 range. He always takes good shot and with more talent around him he won't have too force that much. We've all started noticing him improve all-around game.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Agreed. No way a rookie starts over him. When you think about it their aren't many SG that are available that would be an upgrade. .422 from the field is really unlike him. I think it goes up to .460 range. He always takes good shot and with more talent around him he won't have too force that much. We've all started noticing him improve all-around game.
                I got the feeling Tim Chisholm was floating the possibility of the Raps looking to trade for/sign a player who would be an upgrade over DeRozan (Batum or Mayo, possibly?)

Comment

• This should probably be an old article right? Because near half the season he's been doing a solid job on the glass and getting others involved. But I would expect that being all the defensive attention he creates.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• He's finally putting it all together lately, it seems. Hes certainly rebounding, playing D and making plays for others more than he ever has. I want to believe its because he's just now settling into Casey's system but we'll see.

I really like DeMar and appreciate the way he's tries to rep Toronto since coming here but at the same time he's not untouchable. I say keep him for now, see if his play of late carries over into next season. I think it will... But we'll see.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      He's finally putting it all together lately, it seems. Hes certainly rebounding, playing D and making plays for others more than he ever has. I want to believe its because he's just now settling into Casey's system but we'll see.

I really like DeMar and appreciate the way he's tries to rep Toronto since coming here but at the same time he's not untouchable. I say keep him for now, see if his play of late carries over into next season. I think it will... But we'll see.
                      I've been trying to put the same out. I was disapointed in the beginning, but I never faltered in my faith because he has a history of finishing very strong.

He's really done a nice job recently, and unless we are acquiring someone of better talent or skill than Demar, I believe he is untouchable.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        I've been trying to put the same out. I was disapointed in the beginning, but I never faltered in my faith because he has a history of finishing very strong.

He's really done a nice job recently, and unless we are acquiring someone of better talent or skill than Demar, I believe he is untouchable.
                        Demar has improved enough that, even if he stayed right where he is, he would be a very serviceable player. The only thing necessary now is to stop the pouting.

As it is, I believe he will come back next year stronger, with another wrinkle or two added to his offensive game. I look forward to the progression.

Comment

• Thoughts from Casey

“I think DeMar has grown as the year has gone on. Earlier I wouldn’t have said that but he has grown in a lot of areas defensively. You can see him thinking the game now, where in certain situations before he was just playing basketball. Now he is reading situations, reading screens. Again, strength will be a big factor for he and Ed (Davis) but he has shown growth throughout the year and that has impressed me a lot.”
                          http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/oth.../19674371.html

Comment

• Re the Paul Pierce/DD comparison, I remember that there were people seriously wondering who was the better pick Carter or Pierce (both able to play SG & SF). Carter of course had the flash (dunker) while Pierce was a more all around player & leader type. As they are coming close to the end of their careers there is no question (at least in my mind) who is/was the mv player...and it pains me opting for a C#$%^&....not that I have love for Wince and how he snuck out of here.

Comment

• Look, I get that most of you just want to see DeRozan succeed, but as of right now, he's a below average NBA player. Period.

His biggest strength is an inefficient offensive game that he can't get off on his own and that is extremely streaky. He still struggles to finish through contact, he doesn't rebound well, he has a subpar handle at best, he constantly gets stripped of the ball because he still somehow hasn't learned to raise it higher or cradle it as he goes through traffic, his turns the ball over as often as he assists on a bucket, and he can't hit from deep. Realistically the only thing he brings to the table is a midrange game and an ability to hit free throws, as well as some very average defense.

I want the kid to finally get it, but his lack of progress in some very basic areas after 3 years and a whopping 6700+ NBA minutes is pretty disturbing. I get that the jump shot is still a work in progress, but the handle has barely improved in 3 years, his rebounding has actually declined, his turnovers keep rising and his shooting percentages keep falling.

Aside from all that though, what scares me most is what BC might be willing to pony up in an extension if he doesn't show much improvement in year 4. On the one hand, locking him up for cheap might turn into a bargain if he does finally get it down the road. On the other, he might get paid based on his potential and be a dead weight around the neck of a franchise trying to break through into relevancy.

Comment

• New DeRozan poll

Ready for your votes!

Comment

Working...
                                X