James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    JJ is far from a "solid two way player". His offense is nothing short of horrendous (and that's factoring in his improvement from last year).
    James Johnson is shooting 45% from the field, and 32% from the three point line, and he averages almost 2 assists a game ... he shoots a much better percentage from the field than Demar Derozan (42% field, 25% three point line). That is pretty decent. This includes the HORRIBLE start to the season he had, its only as of late that he has improved his shooting dramatically.

Like I said, he is a solid 2 way forward.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• Something that doesn't get factored into any discussion of a player shooting % is when and where he takes his shots. If the player shoots when there are team mates in a position to rebound, then periodically those team mates are going to grab one and put it in. +2 for the good guys. If the aforementioned player shoots when there are no team mates around, and in fact his team mates are still moving to the basket, then the opposing team gets the rebound and can make a quick outlet pass (no defensive pressure) for an easy fast break basket. +2 for the bad guys. So the shooters shooting % stays the same, but you are looking at a potential 4 point swing in the score. Intelligence in shot selection makes a difference that doesn't show in the stats.

As much as I love JJ's play at times, he goes through bouts of incredibly bone-headed shooting/play that hurt the team. I have great hopes, because that is a mental thing...it's not about raw talent or even learned skills. James needs to have an internal revelation about the value of each possession.

Bayless makes the same kind of decisions at times. That's what drives me nuts about him as well. Jose almost never does this. Amir almost never does this. Magloir never does this. And Demar rarely does this. The other players on the team fall into the bell curve.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        James Johnson is shooting 45% from the field, and 32% from the three point line, and he averages almost 2 assists a game ... he shoots a much better percentage from the field than Demar Derozan (42% field, 25% three point line). That is pretty decent. This includes the HORRIBLE start to the season he had, its only as of late that he has improved his shooting dramatically.

Like I said, he is a solid 2 way forward.
        Johnson shoots 63% at the rim, and just 31% from three feet and beyond (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&year_id=2012)

Like I said, his offense is nothing short of horrendous.

Comment

Johnson shoots 63% at the rim, and just 31% from three feet and beyond (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&year_id=2012)

I have to disagree, someone who scores 9 pts a game shooting 45% from the field in 25 min. is not a horrendous offensive player. I think 90% of the nba would be considered horrendous offensively if that was the case.

Like I said, JJ ftw.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I agree. 31% outside of 3 feet is horrendous. 31% outside the three point line is average for a wing..... but 3 FEET??!?!?!?!

Comment

• From Stephen Brotherston's chat at HoopsWorld.com:

JM

Any idea what did James Johnson do to get benched?

Stephen Brotherston

Neither Casey nor JJ will answer this question directly but the media table gossip says JJ challenged Casey during practice on something like playing time or role a little too hard and Casey sat his butt down to remind him who’s in charge.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...otherston-4912

My inner Matt Devlin is calling this bang on..... and if true, I think it is time for James Johnson to move on. It is a real shame. I love his background and his contributions off the bench moving forward. Seems like JJ has an inflated sense of self worth. Young and emerging teams don't need that sh!t.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                My inner Matt Devlin is calling this bang on..... and if true, I think it is time for James Johnson to move on. It is a real shame. I love his background and his contributions off the bench moving forward. Seems like JJ has an inflated sense of self worth. Young and emerging teams don't need that sh!t.
                That seems a bit melodramatic. Many people seem to be demanding the same - that JJ get out of town. If this sort of thing becomes a sustained issue causing chemistry problems in the locker room, I would agree. However, I haven't read anything indicating that this is the case.

Let`s give him a chance to get back into line. The fact that he hasn`t INSTANTLY fixed things isn`t that big a deal. I think Johnson has potential to be a very solid starter in the league and has improved a tonne from the beginning of this season. He brings alot of intangibles, and his greatest weakness, his shot, is unfortunately magnified by the fact that he plays next to a shooting guard who can`t shoot very well.

Comment

• idk james johnson doesn't look like that kind of guy. He isn't a head case, i say we keep him. If things get worse we trade him

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    From Stephen Brotherston's chat at HoopsWorld.com:

coastal wrote: View Post
                    That seems a bit melodramatic. Many people seem to be demanding the same - that JJ get out of town. If this sort of thing becomes a sustained issue causing chemistry problems in the locker room, I would agree. However, I haven't read anything indicating that this is the case.

Let`s give him a chance to get back into line. The fact that he hasn`t INSTANTLY fixed things isn`t that big a deal. I think Johnson has potential to be a very solid starter in the league and has improved a tonne from the beginning of this season. He brings alot of intangibles, and his greatest weakness, his shot, is unfortunately magnified by the fact that he plays next to a shooting guard who can`t shoot very well.

i agree with both. casey is the man and can't let a questioning of his coaching come into play or show the other players that whining instead of work get you minutes. from all accounts jj has worked hard and been rewarded already with the most minutes he has ever played, to reach for more is a bit greedy however he and casey both have handled with class and just went about the work.

i don't think this will cause problems but it can open the door later for jj to get the minutes he wants if he puts in the work. casey seems to me to be the kind of man that after smacking jj into place would have had a private meeting with video on everything jj does well and poorly and explained in no uncertain terms exactly what jj needs to do to earn those minutes he wants.

much like bargs big time shout out to coach casey i think that a lot of these players enjoy playing for him. my one critic, not qualified to but do, is sometimes when bargs is not rebounding so well he isn't benched. i would rather he be benched and told not to shoot until he has a couple more boards then to just look past it.

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post

Good points.

My only problem is he has had that same stupid grin/whine all season long. I think a bit of success on a sh!t team has gone to his head.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                        I have to disagree, someone who scores 9 pts a game shooting 45% from the field in 25 min. is not a horrendous offensive player. I think 90% of the nba would be considered horrendous offensively if that was the case.

Like I said, JJ ftw.
                        You have very low expectations, my friend

Comment

• God I love Casey
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post
                            He brings alot of intangibles, and his greatest weakness, his shot, is unfortunately magnified by the fact that he plays next to a shooting guard who can`t shoot very well.
                            You've zeroed in on the key: if he's on a team where the shooting guard can, well, shoot, then that frees him up to play to his strengths, fill the lane and get to the hoop much more easily than he can now, and he won't feel the need to chuck from outside. Problem solved. If DD comes back with 15 more pounds of muscle, stops hoisting the ball from behind his head and takes it to the hoop with AUTHORITY instead of like ZaZa Gabor, then he can stay and JJ will be great. And if he doesn't, let's find someone who will.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                              You've zeroed in on the key: if he's on a team where the shooting guard can, well, shoot, then that frees him up to play to his strengths, fill the lane and get to the hoop much more easily than he can now, and he won't feel the need to chuck from outside. Problem solved. If DD comes back with 15 more pounds of muscle, stops hoisting the ball from behind his head and takes it to the hoop with AUTHORITY instead of like ZaZa Gabor, then he can stay and JJ will be great. And if he doesn't, let's find someone who will.
                              Bradley Beal?

Comment

• Moving Forward: JJ

Nice bounce back from our man. About a month ago a lot of us were questioning if he was a piece to move forward with but I think he's shown he certainly is. Casey made his point, JJ swallowed it and he's been arguably our best player since.

He's played excellent coming off the bench, playing the 4 and could even start if the team doesn't address the 3 positionin the draft/free agency. I'm one of the few that has no problem seeing Kleiza go and it's because of what JJ brings to the table, which is vastly superior and with all the bigs we'll have next year, makes him redundant.

I don't agree with many that he's a "lockdown defender" or "defensive cornerstone" as Chisholm said, but he's certainly relentless and can cause havoc on any given night, which is good enough for me.

I hope he's a raptor for years to come.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X