• Show
Clear All

• Johnson A Possible Amnesty Cut?

As posted in the Insider section at ESPN:

Toronto Raptors
    Most likely amnesty cut: Amir Johnson
    How likely to use amnesty this season: Jump ball
    Other amnesty candidates: Jose Calderon
    Notes: The Raptors now say they intend to keep Calderon to play him with Kyle Lowry. Using the amnesty clause on Amir Johnson remains a possibility, especially since he would likely be picked up on waivers, which would save the team additional money.

Who said they are for sure keeping Calderon?

Comment

I don't buy it.

Same group claiming Bargnani was going to be amnestied last year.

Amir is just turned 25 and a useful NBA reserve big man.

Comment

Pfft, I don't believe it.

In related news, look at this picture I found! (Awwwww)

Comment

Things slow down.They have to write something. Can't see this happening

Comment

If anything, he'll get traded. Or Davis for that matter. Amir's contract isn't that bad and would be easy to move considering that Atlanta was able to move Johnson's massive mistake.

Also, amnestying Amir wouldn't free up that much money and it's not like there's another great free agent "fit" that is an absolute must have for the Raptors.

However, I guess if amnestied, that cap space could be used to absorb another contract in a trade to upgrade the team. If that's the case, then go for it. I just don't see it happening. But who knows...
            Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Pfft, I don't believe it.

In related news, look at this picture I found! (Awwwww)

lol how old was Amir Johnson in that picture...?

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                If anything, he'll get traded. Or Davis for that matter. Amir's contract isn't that bad and would be easy to move considering that Atlanta was able to move Johnson's massive mistake.

Also, amnestying Amir wouldn't free up that much money and it's not like there's another great free agent "fit" that is an absolute must have for the Raptors.

However, I guess if amnestied, that cap space could be used to absorb another contract in a trade to upgrade the team. If that's the case, then go for it. I just don't see it happening. But who knows...
                Dont think he'll get traded - he has no trade value. Its interesting that people think Jose or Amir have value .. if we are considering amnestying, why would someone else trade us assets for them? Its not that they dont have value on the court .. just not at their current contract and thus no one will give up assets for the right to a bad contract.

As for whether Amir gets amnestied ... I cant see us doing it just to save money (its not like we are over the tax .. so we would just save a bit if he gets picked up on waivers, which he probably would) .. only if we had another free agent / trade available. If thats the case .. then we might revisit amnestying JC .. depending on who we are getting and what position they play ..

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                  Dont think he'll get traded - he has no trade value. Its interesting that people think Jose or Amir have value .. if we are considering amnestying, why would someone else trade us assets for them? Its not that they dont have value on the court .. just not at their current contract and thus no one will give up assets for the right to a bad contract.

As for whether Amir gets amnestied ... I cant see us doing it just to save money (its not like we are over the tax .. so we would just save a bit if he gets picked up on waivers, which he probably would) .. only if we had another free agent / trade available. If thats the case .. then we might revisit amnestying JC .. depending on who we are getting and what position they play ..
                  I find your talk in "absolutes" to be off base. To say he has no value is way too much of a polarizing statement. Of course he has value, we just aren't privy to the conversations BC and Ed have behind closed doors.

Comment

I find your talk in "absolutes" to be off base. To say he has no value is way too much of a polarizing statement. Of course he has value, we just aren't privy to the conversations BC and Ed have behind closed doors.
                    ok .. sorry, Ill make it more PC. There is a very low probability that other NBA teams are willing to trade assets for either Jose or Amir given their contracts. Having said that, Im a guy on a message board and havent been involved in BC's conversations, so of course I dont know for sure (nor does anyone else).

Better?

If we only spoke about things that we knew to be absolutely true .. RR would be a pretty dull place ..

Comment

I agree, especially with Calderon. He's a veteran pass-first PG who makes his teammates better, who's on an expiring contract. I'd be willing to bet there would be many offers to pick him up off waivers, should he be amnestied. I think he'll either be used in a trade for a high-priced SF (ie: Gay, Iggy), or kept as a backup PG. If Lowry/Calderon work well this season, I could even see him being re-signed for $4-6M per season for 1-3 more years (perhaps 1 with multiple team option years).

I'm not so high on my expectations for Amir's trade value, given how many years has body has taken NBA abuse (offsets his young age - makes it all relative), a past season where he regressed and a $6M contract that increases by $0.5M each of the next two years. I guess it's more likely that Davis is traded and Amir is kept, unless he's need for trade salary filler. I think amnesty would be a last ditch option, only when BC is desperate for the $6M cap space it would provide.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I agree, especially with Calderon. He's a veteran pass-first PG who makes his teammates better, who's on an expiring contract. I'd be willing to bet there would be many offers to pick him up off waivers, should he be amnestied. I think he'll either be used in a trade for a high-priced SF (ie: Gay, Iggy), or kept as a backup PG. If Lowry/Calderon work well this season, I could even see him being re-signed for $4-6M per season for 1-3 more years (perhaps 1 with multiple team option years).

I'm not so high on my expectations for Amir's trade value, given how many years has body has taken NBA abuse (offsets his young age - makes it all relative), a past season where he regressed and a $6M contract that increases by $0.5M each of the next two years. I guess it's more likely that Davis is traded and Amir is kept, unless he's need for trade salary filler. I think amnesty would be a last ditch option, only when BC is desperate for the $6M cap space it would provide.
                        I totally agree that people would pick up Jose (or Amir) off of waivers. Im not saying they arent quality NBA players - both guys are. BUT - there is a big differnce between being a quality NBA player and being someone who, considering their contract, teams are willing to trade assets for.

Comment

I totally agree that people would pick up Jose (or Amir) off of waivers. Im not saying they arent quality NBA players - both guys are. BUT - there is a big differnce between being a quality NBA player and being someone who, considering their contract, teams are willing to trade assets for.
                          Gotcha. I think that's precisely why Calderon wasn't dealt at the trade deadline last year. I bet there was lots of interest, but no offers that BC liked more than just keeping Calderon. I agree that the only way Amir gets dealt is for an equally iffy contract or as part of a package for a much higher priced player.

Comment

The only plus for Amir is his age. He is a good reserve who is terribly over paid. I think it'll be more difficult to trade his contract than Jose's(also over paid but a more valuable player}. Knowing Colangelo's trading skills, I can't see why he can't trade either but Amir rather be amnestied than Jose.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Amir is a good player. I'm only saying that he has value and that BC could get something of equal value in return.

Comment

Working...
                              X