Casey's upbringing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey's upbringing

Not hard to see why the man is as focused and driven as he is.

Dwane Casey is trying to recall a childhood memory of growing up in the small farming town of Morganfield, Kentucky. Here’s the first image that pops into his mind.

“I remember (activist) Dick Gregory coming to town to try and get rid of segregation. I remember him speaking on the courthouse steps. I remember the Klan rally, them riding through town as he was speaking.”

What does a Klan rally look like?

“Guys with white hoods riding in their cars,” Casey shrugs. “I knew what it stood for. I knew someone didn’t like me. Growing up, you hear all these stories about the Klan — Klan, Klan, Klan. You think of the boogeyman.”

Casey can’t put a finger on exactly how old he was at the time. Eight? Nine? But he remembers the tableau vividly.

Standing there in the broad Kentucky daylight, surrounded by his neighbours, Casey remembers the fear. Fear has animated Casey’s life — fear of poverty, fear of missing his chance, fear of not doing enough once he gets it. Fear is a constant in every man’s life, and some are consumed by it. Casey chose to harness fear. It has driven him to the top.
    This is a long article and the quote is just the introduction. Very much worth the click.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...y-to-reach-nba

What a great piece of writing!

Some people overcome so much. You can only admire their strength of character.

Dwane Casey has paid his dues to say the least!
    Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've got a ton of respect for Casey as a coach, and he always comes across in interviews as very frank, honest, and direct. This article about his background just makes me respect him all the more.

(And he definitely got screwed in Minny the first time he was a head coach--scraping together a .500 record with that roster was a minor miracle.)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I'll second that. He isn't going to have time for someone who doesn't put the work in or take his job seriously. Might explain the James Johnson thing. Don't know how hard JJ worked, but he continued to make bone-headed plays and take shots he shouldn't, even after getting his "role" card.

Comment

My respect for Casey just went through the roof. It really helps you to understand his coaching style.

Comment

Amazing. Just a great story.

I love what he said also during the TSN radio segment. Where he said, "players don't have to like me, as long as they respect me."

I have the utmost respect for this coach, one of the better in the league.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Amazing. Just a great story.

I love what he said also during the TSN radio segment. Where he said, "players don't have to like me, as long as they respect me."

I have the utmost respect for this coach, one of the better in the league.
              I agree 100%

Comment

I hope Casey stays here for a long time. I'm talkin 10 years.

Comment

That would go a very long way towards building the franchise into contenders.

I love what this coach is about! He's tough but I think the players must love him too!

Comment

Working...
                  X