Lineup change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineup change

With JV out and Pietrus struggling with his shot. I think it's time to put Amir and Fields in the starting lineup.

The Raps are simply a much better team with Amir on the floor and Fields has really impressed since coming back from his hand injury. His shot is so much better. He brings a lot of energy. Terrific rebounder, plays solid D and has a high basketball IQ.

I also think the Raps are doing Fields disservice by making him play the 4. Specially last night against a big Sacramento Kings team.

Also, call me crazy but i want to see more of Quincy Acy and less Aaron Gray. Raps just look slow whenever Gray is on the floor. Acy on the other hand was the only guy last night that made Cousins work.

Acy was damn impressive last night on the defensive end of the floor. Physical, rugged, tough. Got called for 2 blocking fouls but to me both should've been offensive fouls.
    Mamba Mentality

and lowry too. But you know casey, if something has given us moderate success in the past he is very slow to consider changing it (refer to his handling of bargnani)

Comment

I don't know. I think the Pietrus substitution absolutely has to be made. I understand he's trying to maintain some sort of rotation balance with injuries, but Pietrus is the only guy challenging Gray for useless player every night. At least for Gray he's not expected to succeed in a fair amount of situations, but Pietrus' legs are just obviously not there and he can't defend or shoot, which are his most valuable skills. I think it's only a matter of time before Fields is put back in there, since Anderson fits in well off the bench. The sooner the better.....

As for Amir vs. Gray. I just don't see that working out. If Amir gets in quick foul trouble and the other team isn't that big, then Gray makes a poor sub, and Acy isn't ready to be the 3rd big(foul trouble). If Gray can play 4-6 minutes to start each half and more when opposing a bigger guy, that lets Amir come off the bench. That's still Amir's best role as it limits his chances of getting in early foul trouble, and actually makes it more likely he'll be available if he's playing well and the coach wants him in down the stretch. With Jonas and Bargs out, there's a gap between Gray and Amir in terms of a physical type that can guard bigs with size and mobility. Some nights Amir can make up for it with effort, but some nights he has no chance.

Don't know about PGs. As usual, it's a tough choice to make. I think Lowry eventually goes back in the starting role, but when? Sometime this homestand, I hope.

Comment

I keep Gray starting for now. 4 mins each half and only if foul trouble warrants anymore. Help keep Amir out of foul trouble.

Acy has heart and hustle but is not an NBA player in my opinion - a fine D-Leaguer for sure. Not trying to be an asshole there, calling it like I see it.

Pietrus (more) and Anderson (a little) cut back a bit on their minutes and extra going to Fields and Ross.

I am ready for Lowry to get the nod at the start.

Comment

Line up Change

I can see landry taking over for pietrus in the starting SF position. He looks like he is ready. I am not sure putting Amir in the starting lineup is a great idea right now as it would literally leave our bench with no solid bigs. As far as quincy acy ... he is supposed to be a PF but he is only 6'7 225 lbs, WAY too small, I would play him at the SF if he could make a mid range jump shot, until then ... D league.

Depth Chart for now:

PG: Calderon/Lowry/Lucas
          SG: Derozan/Ross/Anderson
          SF: Fields/Anderson/Pietrus
          PF: Davis/Kleiza/Acy
          C: Gray/Johnson

Once Bargnani and JV are back:

PG: Calderon/Lowry/Lucas
          SG: Derozan/Ross/Anderson
          SF: Fields/Anderson/Pietrus
          PF: Davis/Bargnani/Kleiza
          C: JV/Johnson/Gray

Our second unit with Lowry, Ross, Johnson, Anderson, and Bargnani ... looks like a pretty potent bench. I am kind of looking forward to seeing bargnani come back and come off the bench, I think he can be a valuable piece as just a gunslinger 6th man. He presents huge mismatches and will probably eat up 2nd units offensively.

Also, I am very much in favour of Derozan playing minutes at the SF and Ross playing the SG. Derozan is not undersized at the SF, he is very much average to above average at that position and will not have a problem guarding MOST SF's.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I'd start Ross, he seems to play at his best with Demar. Fields seems to be playing best as a bench guy, especially in small lineups.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              I'd start Ross, he seems to play at his best with Demar. Fields seems to be playing best as a bench guy, especially in small lineups.
              I agree.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Why do you care that much about starting lineup, eventually they all get to play. You are emphasizing it too much imo. If our strenght is two equally strong lineups, then we should play at our strenghts.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                  Why do you care that much about starting lineup, eventually they all get to play. You are emphasizing it too much imo. If our strenght is two equally strong lineups, then we should play at our strenghts.
                  agreed

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                    The problem is that when you start Pietrus and Gray, you are playing 3 on 5 and you have only one guy on the floor who can create his own shot (Demar). The other problem is you are playing Pietrus at all. The guy is horrible. He was necessary when they had all the injuries but now that Ross is playing well, AA is playing good ball, and Fields is back, you have 4 wings so there is no need to stick Pietrus out there for a single minute.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      The problem is that when you start Pietrus and Gray, you are playing 3 on 5 and you have only one guy on the floor who can create his own shot (Demar). The other problem is you are playing Pietrus at all. The guy is horrible. He was necessary when they had all the injuries but now that Ross is playing well, AA is playing good ball, and Fields is back, you have 4 wings so there is no need to stick Pietrus out there for a single minute.
                      Fields still isn't an outside threat at all and has been playing the majority of his minutes at the 4

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        To be honest, who really cares. Main priority for such a "weak" starting lineup is to hold up against others team better starters and bring in better or equally good squad in second quarter to beat other teams tired starters or bench.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                        X