No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw the lottery and screw the NHL system. I hope we go the NFL system which is designed to make the worst team better by giving them the #1 pick. If you finish last you get #1 pick, if you win the superbowl you get the last pick if you lose the superbowl you get second last pick etc.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I like this better, but wouldn't Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Laker, Dallas, Oklahoma, Denver and Portland get no balls, because they've made the playoffs the last three years. That makes way more sense, to me.

Edit: And Cleveland would get zero, as well, since they have two playoff appearances and a #1 pick.
      I should have noted, under the NHL approach, 1 ball was the minimum that any team could receive.

Comment

I like this better, but wouldn't Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Laker, Dallas, Oklahoma, Denver and Portland get no balls, because they've made the playoffs the last three years. That makes way more sense, to me.

Edit: And Cleveland would get zero, as well, since they have two playoff appearances and a #1 pick.
        If Tim is right, then Toronto would have an 8.1% chance at the first overall pick.

EDIT: Ok, if every team gets one ball, then Toronto would have a 6.2% chance at the first overall pick.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
          I should have noted, under the NHL approach, 1 ball was the minimum that any team could receive.
          I don't like that. If Miami, the Lakers, or one of the other perennial contenders got the #1 pick I would be pissed. And I'm guessing so would a lot of other fans. I don't know anything about hockey, but does one pick have as much of an impact in hockey as it does in the NHL?
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            I may be Canadian, but I would rather use the NFL approach than the NHL approach. And I'd use the total number of wins (regular season & playoffs) to determine the top 14 teams only, and their order!! THE REST OF THEM WOULD GET ZERO BALLS!!!

Comment

With rosters of only 12-13 players and two or three top players able to greatly determine the quality of a team, the NBA is much more sensitive to draft order, especially at the top, than the NHL or the NFL. So if the purpose is to promote some competitive parity then it would make sense to give greater weight to lower performing teams than either the NHL or the NFL do. So I like the idea of some assessment of performance over the past few years, but I would give higher odds than the NHL did to the lower ranked teams.

Comment

I don't like that. If Miami, the Lakers, or one of the other perennial contenders got the #1 pick I would be pissed. And I'm guessing so would a lot of other fans. I don't know anything about hockey, but does one pick have as much of an impact in hockey as it does in the NHL?
                No. a single pick is much more influential in the NBA than in the other professional sports because rosters are smaller and a single player can transform a franchise. It could be a real problem for the competitive balance in the NBA if Miami were to get another transformative star through some lottery system.

Comment

BC's purpose in life the next year should be getting pictures of other GMs in "compromising" positions and acquire at least one more lottery pick position.

Comment

If there is a season the Raps should try their damnedest to lose every single ball game, and trade for more picks. Dump salary. Trade everybody that's not going to be a free agent.

I'm a proponent of raising the draft age, but that screws the Raptors next year, so I'm torn. It's best for the league to raise the age limit, but best for the Raptors to keep it where it is.
                    There's no reason for an age limit. Great players dominate even at a very young age. Talent is what counts, not age, because NBA basketball is about athleticism more than anything else. The kind of precise mental mastery of the game that, for example, baseball requires, is not what basketball is about. Wasting years in college, where the coaches let the players do whatever they want, and they're turned into super-heroes who think they can't do any wrong, does not help their development.

If there had been an age limit in tennis (another sport that depends very heavily on athleticism), Boris Becker and Maria Sharapova wouldn't have won Wimbledon at 17. And Martina Hingis wouldn't have won the Australian Open at age 16. And the doubles title at Wimbledon at age 15. Hingis played professionally from ages 14-26, which coincides with a player's peak athletic years. The great Swedish player Bjorn Borg played professionally from ages 14-26 as well.

The league didn't introduce an age limit as a public service. They did it to spare nitwits like Jordan from embarrassing themselves by wasting picks on guys like Kwame Brown. Many players, TJ Fraud and Jose Calderon being two that come to mind immediately, find themselves ineffective when they hit their late 20s and that subtle spark of explosiveness they once had is gone. It's unfair to rob them of potential earnings when their skills are at their peak, as youngsters, just because of the western obsession with college.

Comment

If they are taking the average for the past 3 seasons then I seriously feel bad for Cleveland.

Comment

Well what happened in the NHL was they took the average of their 3 years then divided the league into 3 categories. top 3rd (the good) each got 1 ping-pong ball, the middle 3rd (the bad) got 2 ping-pong balls and the lowest 3rd (the ugly) got 3 ping-pong balls. They then mixed it up and picked and the winner got Sidney Crosby, the greatest NHL player since Mario Lemieux.

If you're wondering the Pens had 3 ping-pong balls, but I believe the Ducks who chose 2nd only had 1 ball.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          BC's purpose in life the next year should be getting pictures of other GMs in "compromising" positions and acquire at least one more lottery pick position.
                          I like this! Though I really wouldn't want to see the pictures, no matter how cute the farm animal was.
                          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                            There's no reason for an age limit. Great players dominate even at a very young age. Talent is what counts, not age, because NBA basketball is about athleticism more than anything else. The kind of precise mental mastery of the game that, for example, baseball requires, is not what basketball is about. Wasting years in college, where the coaches let the players do whatever they want, and they're turned into super-heroes who think they can't do any wrong, does not help their development.

If there had been an age limit in tennis (another sport that depends very heavily on athleticism), Boris Becker and Maria Sharapova wouldn't have won Wimbledon at 17. And Martina Hingis wouldn't have won the Australian Open at age 16. And the doubles title at Wimbledon at age 15. Hingis played professionally from ages 14-26, which coincides with a player's peak athletic years. The great Swedish player Bjorn Borg played professionally from ages 14-26 as well.

The league didn't introduce an age limit as a public service. They did it to spare nitwits like Jordan from embarrassing themselves by wasting picks on guys like Kwame Brown. Many players, TJ Fraud and Jose Calderon being two that come to mind immediately, find themselves ineffective when they hit their late 20s and that subtle spark of explosiveness they once had is gone. It's unfair to rob them of potential earnings when their skills are at their peak, as youngsters, just because of the western obsession with college.
                            Well, basketball is nothing like tennis, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. A 16 year old player who could actually compete in the NBA is a 1 in a billion. Or maybe 1 in 7 billion. Basketball players rely more on experience, strength and skill, than athleticism. It's why Championship teams tend to have an average age over 27, which is consider the peak age for basketball players. Have you never noticed that? Young teams in the league tend not to do as well as the more veteran teams. The average age of the MVP winner over the last 20 years is 28 years old. Of the last 20 MVPs of the league, only 4 have won it under the age of 27 years old. And 7 won it OVER the age of 30. So please don't try and tell me that basketball is anything like tennis.

And the NBA introduced an age limit for several reasons. The first is to prevent naive high school kids with stars in their eyes from entering the NBA draft before they're ready. Guys like Ndudi Ebi and others who either flunked out or didn't even get drafted. It also had the added bonus of slightly raising the level of play that had slowly declined due to more and more undergrads from entering the draft. Some people point to LeBron James as if he's somehow proof that the NBA doesn't need an age limit. That's like pointing to a trained Nascar driver as proof we don't need speed limits. LeBron's not the rule. He's the exception. The vast majority of high school kids are simply not ready to compete in the NBA and I'd rather not see roster space taken up by a player who clearly isn't ready.

Of all the high kids who came into the league, all but a few could have used a bit of seasoning in college. And it's not an obsession with college. It's an obsession with watching good basketball.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                              If they are taking the average for the past 3 seasons then I seriously feel bad for Cleveland.
                              They just got the first and fourth pick in the draft. I wouldn't feel too bad for them.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

KABONGO TO RAPS! Hopefully BC gets it done next draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X