My Off-Season Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    I thought our needs were backup PG and knockdown 3pt shooter. Gordon fits the bill for both of those. Shoots 40% from 3pt land and can definitely play backup PG as well as some SG. Can't defend worth a lick but he's a mega upgrade over Lucas and it fits the whole Bargs traded for one of our needs approach. Then we can use the MLE on a PF. I'm not crazy about Gordon but the whole not an area of need thing doesn't make sense.

Also, forget about Hump. There is zero market for that guy and it's because he's garbage. His bread and butter is supposed to be rebounding and he lost his starting gig to a guy who literally only rebounds and does nothing else. Hump = poor mans reggie Evans.
    I don't think Gordon is a PG.... but that is just me. Also, he is a ball stopper, black hole who I really lost a lot of respect for after reading this.

I would look at Hump as a better option than Bargnani. At the very least he takes $11.5M (Bargnani's salary) off the books next season.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I don't think Gordon is a PG.... but that is just me. Also, he is a ball stopper, black hole who I really lost a lot of respect for after reading this.

I would look at Hump as a better option than Bargnani. At the very least he takes $11.5M (Bargnani's salary) off the books next season.
      I wouldn't read too much into the Gordon situation in Charlotte. Can you imagine how fucking miserable he must be playing for that joke of team. At least the Raps are trying to get better. Charlotte keeps following the Tim W. plan to success. Sucks ass every year and cross your fingers there is a Lebron in that draft. The guy went from winning a national title in college (as a PG mind you), the playing for the consistently worst team in basketball. If the Raps were as bad as Charlotte I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that one of our guys did something similar in practice. It's not right, but NBA players aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, and a big part of being coach is managing all those egos.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        One of the reasons I thought a Bargnani-to-Minnesota trade could be possible is if Minny were able to then work out a deal to flip Bargnani to LA for Gasol. I don't see Toronto being able to work out a deal for Gasol, unless LA wanted Kleiza or Fields (doubtful). However, Minny could include Roy and draft pick(s), which would effectively be a salary dump for LA if Roy decides to retire.

Regardless of the methods of acquiring each player (ie: Bargnani trade, MLE, min wage veteran free agent) and regardless of the specific player acquired, there seems to be quite a bit of consensus about what the Raptors need to add:

#1 - backup PG, ideallly a pass-first type to facilitate 2nd unit offense

#2 - PF, either to supplant Johnson as the starter or to backup Johnson

#3 - 5th wing who can defend and shoot the 3, but who knows his role (ie: not AA)

* ideally some/all of these players would bring a grizzled veteran presence, to help mentor the Raptors' young core
        That might work but a three team deal is likely to be more likely. Something like this.

Also, I think the CBA becomes an issue with trading Bargnani immediately. He cannot be packaged with someone else?

Comment

That might work but a three team deal is likely to be more likely. Something like this.

Also, I think the CBA becomes an issue with trading Bargnani immediately. He cannot be packaged with someone else?
          With Kobe out for part/most/all of next season, I don't see LA dealing Gasol, especially for Bargs and Brandon Roy. They're trying to keep Howard remember. I guess if Howard leaves and Kobe is out for the year maybe they say fuck it and blow it all up, but I don't see that as very likely. Gasol is probably their best player now, they're not going to give him up for Bargs and a bag of peanuts.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            With Kobe out for part/most/all of next season, I don't see LA dealing Gasol, especially for Bargs and Brandon Roy. They're trying to keep Howard remember. I guess if Howard leaves and Kobe is out for the year maybe they say fuck it and blow it all up, but I don't see that as very likely. Gasol is probably their best player now, they're not going to give him up for Bargs and a bag of peanuts.
            Who knows what happens in LA.

I was giving an example.

I agree with your sentiments on Gasol. However, it does not appear he and MD'A get along and the Kobe telling Pau to not listen to anyone else and go on the low block is hardly the picture of an organization free of conflict.

If Minnesota was really desperate for Gasol, they could throw in their pick.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              My ideal offseason would include the following moves:

1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
              2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
              3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
              4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
              5. DeRozan traded to Utah for Millsap (S&T)
              6. Dunleavy signed as free agent for some/all of the MLE

STARTERS
              C: Valanciunas
              PF: Millsap
              SF: Gay
              SG: Fields
              PG: Lowry

PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
              C: Johnson
              PF: Williams
              SF: Dunleavy
              SG: Ross
              PG: Ridnour

BENCH
              C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
              PF: Acy
              PG: Lucas

-----

If BC was being honest about the team only making tweaks, rather than any major moves, then these are the moves I'd like to be made:

1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
              2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
              3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
              4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
              5. MLE used to sign a veteran backup PF
              6. veteran 5th wing signed to minimum contract

STARTERS
              C: Valanciunas
              PF: Johnson
              SF: Gay
              SG: DeRozan
              PG: Lowry

PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
              C: Veteran PF
              PF: Williams
              SF: Fields
              SG: Ross
              PG: Ridnour

BENCH
              C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
              PF: Acy
              SF/SG: Veteran Wing
              PG: Lucas
              I PREFER the second roster make-up to be Honest.

Comment

76ers/Hawes - rumoured around deadline. Expiring contract. Philly has cap space for one for one. Maybe include Dorrell Wright in sign and trade?[/B]
                Hawes and Wright would be a HUGE win for us, it'd be perfect for what we need on our bench.

Comment

I like Varejao the most out of all of the players you listed, but I don't know if he'll want to come off the bench after his incredible start to this season. He probably feels like he can continue that level of play into next season.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

first priority should be backup pg because of lowrys injury problems.
                    watson
                    harris
                    billups
                    williams

need a shooter on the wing for cheap
                    korver
                    morrow
                    belinelli
                    mason
                    webster
                    dunleavy

big man vet
                    brand
                    jo
                    dalembert

most are probably unlikely because were toronto and dont have extra money to throw around though

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      I like Varejao the most out of all of the players you listed, but I don't know if he'll want to come off the bench after his incredible start to this season. He probably feels like he can continue that level of play into next season.
                      we can start him at the four
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Toronto FA to target

1) Shawn Marion - he would be a decent backup behind Gay, solid defender, can knock down the 3s and rebound, can also play as a stretch 4 when we need him to be, go small with he lineups of Lowry-DeRozan-Gay-Marion-Amir on some given nights. Once a Raptors, Marion should've stayed, was decent back in the days as our starting SF, wouldn't mind having him back however i suspect he will want a ring, might sign with the Heat or the Thunder.

2) Mike Dunleavy Jr - A former 3rd pick of the NBA draft, has established himself as a journeyman in this league, not a player you can build upon but a decent 6th man candidate, can knock down shot when it matters, someone we lack off in the 2nd unit, although he's not gonna come cheap, might have to amnesty Kleiza and use the money + MLE on him.

3) JJ Reddick - Same as Dunleavy, a journey man in this league, can knock down shot beyond the arc, hit the 3s at a high EFF. Reddick is an amazing player to be had at a low cost and can distribute when needed. Let's go Reddick, he can become a target for summer FA.

4) Dorrel Wright - A decent backup but I demand him to play a large role on a young team, he will be a decent backup behind Gay, can knock down the shit and hit the 3s when needed.

5) Carl Landry (Sign and Trade) - I Believe the Warriors will want to sign and trade this guy unless they are willing to loose him in free agency. Landry is a decent player, can start for this franchise as our PF or come off the bench for Amir. Landry is a also a great shot blocker and can knock down the shot from beyond the arc. We can trade Bargnani straight up for him or Bargnani + T-Ross for Landry, Jack, Rush

6) Paul Millsap/Al Jeff (Sign and Trade) - I believe the Jazz would want to keep one of the two in the summer, if we can grab either the two, it would be a miracle. Millsap is a hardnosed player, a decent player who has recently developed a lethal 3 pointer whereas Al Jeff looks like the allstar PF we need on paper, I suspect him to be a major player to pursue in the offseason. We will have to package Bargnani and probably DeRozan for either the two and just like Gay said when he's traded to the Raptors, we need another, just one, player to make to the post-season and possibly a ring. I would love to see either the two in Raptors uniform as opposed to Boozer

7) Devin Harris (Sign and Trade) - Harris has regressed as a backup PG in this league but a decent backup PG who can still post 10+ ppg, he will be a decent stable backup PG behind Lowry. We can package Fields or Kleiza + Future 2nd rounder for him.

8) Will Bynum - If the Pistons are looking to sign Calderon for a long term, they probably not gonna have the money or the roster for Bynum. Bynum is an interesting player, when motivated, he can chip 20+ pts and dish 10+ apg, he will be a decent backup PG behind Lowry.

9) Elton Brand - If we are gonna make a push to the playoff, we need a veteran, and that veteran is none other than Elton Brand. Brand is not like the player he once was but can still play in this league and contribute positively on a team. Brand can sub in for Amir or Valanciunas when the game matters.

10) Earl Clark - Are we gonna take a gamble on a player who hasn't developed until he played for the Lakers. Clark is the type of player who has tons of potential and talent but a bit lazy. Clark can be our franchise PF if he does sign with the Raptors, on the positive side, he's young and i'm optimistic to see him playing decent ballgame with DERozan and Gay.

Comment

I think Jason Thompson is a guy they should be looking at. Haven't looked up what his salary is like, but he has a nice low post game, and has fallen a little off the radar since Cousins took over that front court. You could even make a case that putting Bargs next to Cousins is a nice combination for Sacramento. I'm not sure what the cost for him would be, but if there was another bad contract added to the mix, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            Toronto FA to target

1) Shawn Marion - he would be a decent backup behind Gay, solid defender, can knock down the 3s and rebound, can also play as a stretch 4 when we need him to be, go small with he lineups of Lowry-DeRozan-Gay-Marion-Amir on some given nights. Once a Raptors, Marion should've stayed, was decent back in the days as our starting SF, wouldn't mind having him back however i suspect he will want a ring, might sign with the Heat or the Thunder.

2) Mike Dunleavy Jr - A former 3rd pick of the NBA draft, has established himself as a journeyman in this league, not a player you can build upon but a decent 6th man candidate, can knock down shot when it matters, someone we lack off in the 2nd unit, although he's not gonna come cheap, might have to amnesty Kleiza and use the money + MLE on him.

3) JJ Reddick - Same as Dunleavy, a journey man in this league, can knock down shot beyond the arc, hit the 3s at a high EFF. Reddick is an amazing player to be had at a low cost and can distribute when needed. Let's go Reddick, he can become a target for summer FA.

4) Dorrel Wright - A decent backup but I demand him to play a large role on a young team, he will be a decent backup behind Gay, can knock down the shit and hit the 3s when needed.

5) Carl Landry (Sign and Trade) - I Believe the Warriors will want to sign and trade this guy unless they are willing to loose him in free agency. Landry is a decent player, can start for this franchise as our PF or come off the bench for Amir. Landry is a also a great shot blocker and can knock down the shot from beyond the arc. We can trade Bargnani straight up for him or Bargnani + T-Ross for Landry, Jack, Rush

6) Paul Millsap/Al Jeff (Sign and Trade) - I believe the Jazz would want to keep one of the two in the summer, if we can grab either the two, it would be a miracle. Millsap is a hardnosed player, a decent player who has recently developed a lethal 3 pointer whereas Al Jeff looks like the allstar PF we need on paper, I suspect him to be a major player to pursue in the offseason. We will have to package Bargnani and probably DeRozan for either the two and just like Gay said when he's traded to the Raptors, we need another, just one, player to make to the post-season and possibly a ring. I would love to see either the two in Raptors uniform as opposed to Boozer

7) Devin Harris (Sign and Trade) - Harris has regressed as a backup PG in this league but a decent backup PG who can still post 10+ ppg, he will be a decent stable backup PG behind Lowry. We can package Fields or Kleiza + Future 2nd rounder for him.

8) Will Bynum - If the Pistons are looking to sign Calderon for a long term, they probably not gonna have the money or the roster for Bynum. Bynum is an interesting player, when motivated, he can chip 20+ pts and dish 10+ apg, he will be a decent backup PG behind Lowry.

9) Elton Brand - If we are gonna make a push to the playoff, we need a veteran, and that veteran is none other than Elton Brand. Brand is not like the player he once was but can still play in this league and contribute positively on a team. Brand can sub in for Amir or Valanciunas when the game matters.

10) Earl Clark - Are we gonna take a gamble on a player who hasn't developed until he played for the Lakers. Clark is the type of player who has tons of potential and talent but a bit lazy. Clark can be our franchise PF if he does sign with the Raptors, on the positive side, he's young and i'm optimistic to see him playing decent ballgame with DERozan and Gay.
                            Do we really need more wings who demand heavy minutes (Marion, Redick, Dunleavy, Wright) and cost significantly more than the minimum? Where and when exactly are Ross and Fields going to play? Maybe you're thinking if we trade DD for Milsap, then another wing is necessary and I agree with that.
                            Barring trading DD for Milsap, I think someone like Anthony Morrow fits the bill as the replacement for Anderson. He could be had for near the minimum and could play anywhere from 0-30 minutes a night without complaint. He also can nail the 3 ball at a high clip and appears to be a good locker room guy. He also isn't a chucker like AA so we won't have to worry about him thinking he's Kobe and taking 18 shots. I hear him and Korver would have 3 point contests during every practice in ATL. I'd like that to continue in Toronto with basically all of our wings involved.

ATL is not going to do a sign and trade with Harris, especially for Fields, Kleiza, or a 2nd rounder. ATL doesn't want any of that shit. They'd rather just have Harris back if that's the case. I'm guessing Harris walks to the high bidder. I'm fine with offering him the MLE if we address our PF problem with a Bargs trade, or if Bargs isn't traded.

I'd also be good with targeting Bynum with the MLE if we can't get Harris. He'd be a fine backup PG to Lowry who is good enough to start should Lowry go down with injury.

I don't really like a DD for Milsap trade, as we just shift our lack of depth from PF to SG, and we don't have anyone who can step in and start at SG. Amir has more than proven himself a capable starter at PF, and Acy has shown he can play productive minutes there too.

Are we looking for a starting PF, or a backup? That's the issue I'm having. Amir has shown me he can be a starter, and I'd rather not waste assets to have someone take that role from him. Unless we can trade Bargs for someone better than Amir at PF (Boozer, Gasol), then I say we should roll with Amir as the starting PF, and just focus on getting a more capable backup than Acy. Earl Clark, for instance, isn't even in sniffing distance of Amir in quality of play. Why even entertain him as our future starting PF when we have a much better player in Amir already on the roster? Brand as a backup PF sounds great. Maybe we can get him with the MLE?

Backup PG should be our #1 position of need, followed by backup PF, followed by a 3rd wing off the bench (Morrow), followed by a backup C (I'm fine with Gray if we don't get an upgrade).

If we can turn Bargs into two good bench players (the Minnesota trade bandied about of Williams + Ridnour for Bargs would do the trick), then this will be a very successful offseason in my eyes.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                              Toronto FA to target

A new record! I made it to the third paragraph!

But when I read JJ Redick was a journeyman, I bailed.

Dude just got traded to his 2nd team in 7 years.

Comment

Devo1980 wrote: View Post
                                I think Jason Thompson is a guy they should be looking at. Haven't looked up what his salary is like, but he has a nice low post game, and has fallen a little off the radar since Cousins took over that front court. You could even make a case that putting Bargs next to Cousins is a nice combination for Sacramento. I'm not sure what the cost for him would be, but if there was another bad contract added to the mix, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much.
                                I was thinking the same thing. He brings a lot of energy and rebounding

Comment

Working...
                                X