No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dez Bryant's familiy in the pimping game?

According to the sources, Ireland began the meeting by asking Bryant, 21, about his upbringing and his relationship with his siblings. Then he asked what Bryant's father did for a living when Bryant was growing up. The following exchange allegedly ensued:

"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Ireland apologized Tuesday for asking what has been described as a classless, offensive and potentially illegal question. But if the incident went down as described by two members of the Dolphins organization, Bryant should be the next to repent because there was no need for this story to go from a controlled burn to a raging wildfire.
    "Jeff Ireland is a classy, classy kid," said one GM, speaking on the condition his name not be used. "Do I think he made a mistake asking that question? Yeah. Even if I knew it was true, I could never ask a kid that. But I have to tell you that the story going hard around the Combine -- and everybody heard it whether it was true or not -- was that his mother was a prostitute and his father was her pimp. That doesn't make it right, but that stuff was out there."
    Bryant was red-flagged by multiple teams because of what they described as a "shaky" family situation -- his mother, Angela, served 18 months for selling crack cocaine -- his anger issues as a youngster and his habitual tardiness. He also was suspended by the NCAA for all but three games last season for lying about his relationship with former NFL great Deion Sanders.
    SI.com

Does anyone else see trouble brewing with Dez Bryant? Maybe he shatters everyone's perception on upbringing and its effects of a person's adult life?
    Last edited by Apollo; Sun May 2, 2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Here's an excellent article by Rick Reilly on the Dez Bryant subject Apollo:
      http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5161597

For the record I think he's definitely going to be one of the best, maybe(hopefully) ever. He can flat out ball! He'll have a good mentor in Michael Irivin, who's had plenty of hardships of his own, throughout his childhood and playing career. It might sound a little biased coming from a 'Boys fan but I was prepared to say the same if he went almost anywhere else.

Comment

Lots of song writers and entertainers get into trouble with drugs, sex and violence. Its more accepted in those professions. Dez Bryant is a football player, if he partakes in that kind of stuff he won't last long if past individuals are any sign. That article names non-sports athletes. It does so because he was trying to support an idea that can't be strongly supported with sports references. Sports and entertainment are two different beasts. I'm not going to write a guy off because of upbringing. I hope he does well but I will understand why he fails if he fails. Upbringing does play a big role in ones life, its been proven.
        Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 5, 2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

"People rise above. Can you name the NBA superstar who was the son of a heroin addict? Whose South Side Chicago mom was constantly strung out? Who, at 5, was being raised by his 9-year-old sister? Dwyane Wade. Would Ireland have passed on him?

Say what you like about Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, but he gets it. He passed on Randy Moss because of rumors in 1998 and vowed he wouldn't let another Moss slip by. The Boys took Bryant with the 24th pick in the draft. Have you seen Dez Bryant's highlight reel? The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex just got very lucky."

Those were two sports examples he gave. There has never been any link between Dez and alcohol or drugs and no reason to believe he's going to start using just because his family name is being dragged through the mud or because he lied one time. People are drumming up a whole lot of bullshit on a guy they really know nothing about and they need an article to write, so why not choose the hot topic and run with it? The dude will be fine...

Comment

Hope you're right but time will tell. The fact that he doesn't seem to have an inflated ego is a good thing because there are already too many star receivers in the league who think they're bigger than the team. I always shook my head at T.O. for throwing his QBs under the bus... Garcia, McNabb, etc. He never had to deal with a bad QB, regardless of his words, until this last season. I know he's getting old now but you think the lack of a strong QB had something to do with his last season failure too? I know I do.

Comment

The CFL Thread

I didn't see a thread for the CFL so I decided to start one.

If there is one please merge this post into it. Thanks
              -------------------------------
              I am really psyched up about this.

Briefly
              ---------------
              As I have posted before I grew up in Buffalo N.Y. and stayed there until I was about 24 and then had a better offer from a team in Los Angeles.

When I was growing up I loved to watch three Canadian sporting events on TV. As I recall we were able to get two Canadian TV channels in Buffalo in those days; i.e Channel #6 out of Toronto and another one I believe that was broadcasting from Hamilton?

1. Saturday night hockey with Foster Hewitt
              2. Snooker
              3. CFL football

Truth be told I am not a NFL or NCAA football fan but I really enjoyed watching the CFL when I was growing up. All these years that I have lived in Los Angeles I have never been able to watch a CFL game. So I have not watched a CFL game for many many years.

When I upgraded my cable package a couple of months ago the upgraded package came with NFLNet. To date I have yet to watch it. However, things are about to change.

Today I was doing a search for the Calgary Stampede to see if it was carried by Versus. It appears it is not. However in the process I found that my cable carrier on NFLNet carries what appears to be one CFL football game a week.

So I located the CFL website and checked the schedule against what NFLNet is showing tomorrow and it is in fact a live regular season game week #2. The game on NFLNet tomorrow is Calgary @ Hamilton. Hamilton used to be my favorite team when I watched the CFL while living in Buffalo all those many many years ago. Calgary is ranked #2 and Hamilton #7 should it might not be a very well contested game but I am psyched.

Finally some football on my TV here in Los Angeles that I actually enjoy watching
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

no, man hamilton is one of the favourties to slay montreal in the east for top spot and win the grey cup this year they have a really good team.

you know i'm not going to lie I didn't really like you before. but, anyone who reps the cfl I respect.

hamilton's kicker sandro deangelis played for calgary up until this season. so, it should be a good game. it would be a good game regardless of that fact.

tonight is toronto at winnipeg. here's the sked:http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2010/time_zone/0

and those channels you got were/are cbc and the hamilton one was prolly chch
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Browns rookies head to camp on the 23rd, and all my Dallas Cowboys will be in camp on the 25th. I dontknow about any of you, but I'm getting pretty amped up about the start of the season!! I'm sayin the Boys go 12-4 and becme the first ever team to win a Super Bowl at home!

That's just an early prediction, we'll get the rest in when we get a little closer.

Comment

Mack, what's the deal with Bryant and not wanting to carry Roy WIlliams' shoulder pads? Does he think he's an exception to the rule when it comes to rookie initiation? Everyone had to go through it, even the greats. Hell, I had to go through initiation though HS football, HS baseball and even though HS itself. Not to mention when I got to university - frosh week. They might as well have called it hazing week. It's what leads to respect from your elderstatesmen. I don't see why he didn't want to do it.

Comment

That game last night in Montreal was tough to watch as an Argonauts fan. Calvillo's still got it. The much maligned Als' O-line came through last night and protected AC. Avon Colbourne ran rampshod over the Argos' D.

Comment

as a fan of the black and gold I enjoyed that beatdown given to the argos.

also some sites to check out for cfl news and updates.

http://www.cfldailydose.com/

http://cfl.ca/

Hamilton:http://ticats.ca/

Montreal:http://www.montrealalouettes.com/

Saskatchewan:http://www.saskriders.ca/

Winnipeg:http://www.bluebombers.com/

Calgary:http://www.stampeders.com/

B.C.:http://www.bclions.com/

Toronto:http://www.argonauts.ca/

Edmonton:http://www.esks.com/
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Yea, it was a little bit ridiculous but the whole story was kind of blown out of proportion. I guess karma caught up with him a bit though, he's got a high ankle sprain that's gonna sideline for pretty much the whole preseason and maybe more.

Personally, I think he should've just carried the damn pads. I'm really hoping he doesn't turn into a diva receiver, cause the guy has skills the likes of which I haven't seen to much of.

It doesn't help much when your coach, Wade "Cupcake" Phillips, doesn't exactly back the vets. He's just trying to make everybody happy saying the rookies don't have to do anything they dont want to. If he(Wade) doesn't get the job done this year(which he will) I'm sure Uncle Jerry will ship him out the door. I love his defenses but he makes a lot of questionable calls during games.

Comment

Bob Young's Letter to Mayor Fred Eisenburger

Dear Fred,

It saddens me to advise you that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club is withdrawing from any further discussions and negotiations pertaining to the siting of the Pan Am Stadium in Hamilton.

It is painfully apparent, despite the best efforts of our facilitator, Michael Fenn, the plethora of information from stadium experts, and our own financial submissions, that you remain fixated on the West Harbour Stadium and without a strong political champion in Hamilton, it is impossible to continue our efforts with respect to the East Mountain proposal.

The need to replace Ivor Wynne Stadium played an integral part in the Pan-Am bid process, and undoubtedly we would not be debating this great opportunity were it not for the history and presence of this great franchise. Legacy in the form of an anchor tenant and a business case were part of the criteria that was generally accepted when the Pan Games Stadium was proposed for Hamilton. Simply put, the facility would have to be “sustainable” with an anchor tenant to justify federal and provincial taxpayer’s money.

You know that the Tiger-Cats have invested more than $30 million into this team and community over the course of the past seven years. We were vitally interested in being part of a stadium solution to replace Ivor Wynne.

Our facilitator, Mr. Fenn, understood these requirements when he advanced the compromise site on the East Mountain. This site was not our first choice. The most sensible location for a new stadium is on a small part of Confederation Park. The highway visibility would have brought the Tiger-Cats to a breakeven situation. The real development potential within the precinct would have brought jobs and real economic value to the City.

For reasons unknown to us, and the general public, this site was never an option.

Inherent in our proposal was the opportunity to work with senior levels of government to build something at the West Harbour that would be consistent with the planning principles contained in your planning document, Setting Sail.

In my view, this would have been a “win-win” situation. We believe that option was made available but has now been squandered.

As the most recent owner of the Tiger-Cats, I have always believed that my primary responsibility to the organization, the fans and to the memory of my family, who I have honoured with this ownership, was to ensure that the team would remain sustainable moving forward. By that, I mean, ECONOMICALLY sustainable.
                            continued on link: http://ticats.ca/article/bob-young-s-letter

Comment

Argos ftw!

Comment

As small as it may seem crap like that can create resentment in a locker room, you know, when one player portrays himself above the team culture... Bryant is probably better than Williams right now but that doesn't mean he's above paying his due even if he thinks he is. Rookie hazing goes on in every sport at every level. It's part of sports.

Anyway, none of that matters because the Packers are going to torch the NFC and lay the smack down on whatever sorry team stumbles out of the AFC.

Comment

Working...
                                X