No announcement yet.

Weems to wait and enter restricted free agency in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonny will probably receive the same type of contract that Forbes got. 2-3 years at 2 mil plus. I always liked his athleticism, but I think we could find similar players with a second round pick.

Comment

Weems year in Lithuania is over. He'll be entering free agency coming off an injury it appears.

http://www.talkbasket.net/6677-sonny...ania-pics.html

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        But where would you play him? It also depends on who we draft. If Forbes keeps showing what he has at the 2 that is probably Weems best position. And the 3 is probably what we might draft or sign a f/a. The best outcome in my view is to get another position asset or pick back in a sign and trade as a rfa.
        A definite +1.

As a RFA, Weems is considered an "asset" if there is genuine interest from other teams. It's definitely a better option to get something in return for Weems, rather than ignoring him completely.

Comment

Weems needs to go to Chicago.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Sunny was very impressive in his first season here when Demar was a rookie. I remember people posting backing him playing over Demar and that he was the better player. Unfortunately last year he didn't play any defense and started becoming more of a chucker then someone who picked his spots well the year prior. I'd prefer Forbes at this time as the back up 2 with better play making skills and a much more consistent jumper. Sunny will find a home and I think he can contribute I just hope it's not TO regardless of the price tag attached to him.

Comment

I hope Weems doesn't come back and I doubt he will. I seriously doubt the Raps are interested and given Weem's tweets a few months ago, it seems like he's not overly interested in Toronto either. If there was mutual interest, he would be in a Raptors jersey already.

On a somewhat related note, I think the Raptors have been so bad that a lot of fans have fallen in love for some pretty average/backup type players. A lot of comments are made in several threads, about the depth that the Raptors will have next season. Personally, I wish BC would find a productive use for the team's depth, by somehow turning a few of these 2nd stringers into even one legit starting caliber player. The Raptors have loads of cap space, Weems' RFA rights, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan and 2 2nd round picks to use, in any combination that is needed, to acquire an additional lottery pick and/or a legit starter via trade(s). At the very least, in the case of Weems, his best use for the Raptors is as a tradeable asset ahead of draft night.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I hope Weems doesn't come back and I doubt he will. I seriously doubt the Raps are interested and given Weem's tweets a few months ago, it seems like he's not overly interested in Toronto either. If there was mutual interest, he would be in a Raptors jersey already.

On a somewhat related note, I think the Raptors have been so bad that a lot of fans have fallen in love for some pretty average/backup type players. A lot of comments are made in several threads, about the depth that the Raptors will have next season. Personally, I wish BC would find a productive use for the team's depth, by somehow turning a few of these 2nd stringers into even one legit starting caliber player. The Raptors have loads of cap space, Weems' RFA rights, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan and 2 2nd round picks to use, in any combination that is needed, to acquire an additional lottery pick and/or a legit starter via trade(s). At the very least, in the case of Weems, his best use for the Raptors is as a tradeable asset ahead of draft night.
                Totally agree on the "de-sensitization" to mediocrity some fans have developed. I mean really, we had a full, 2-week argument on Jerryd Bayless :|

Comment

I could not agree more.

The Raptors are a team full of solid reserves on very good teams. Unfortunately, those reserves are asked to start and play significant minutes.

The starting lineup needs a huge injection of talent.

Comment

We had some fans claiming this team is "stacked" going into this season...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      We had some fans claiming this team is "stacked" going into this season...
                      It is hard to know what next season will bring without the upcoming off season. I do think there is a possibility the Raptors could be "stacked" long term, but, again, how does one guess what will happen over the next 5 months?

Any notion of stacked will assume JV becomes an all-star as well as the 2012 pick, Bargnani is capable of what he showed early in the season long term, and another legit starter is added - in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I could not agree more.

The Raptors are a team full of solid reserves on very good teams. Unfortunately, those reserves are asked to start and play significant minutes.

The starting lineup needs a huge injection of talent.
                        With all the assets that BC has at his disposal and the fact that he and Casey seem to prefer a fairly tight rotation, I can't shake the feeling that we are going to see a big move or two. At this point, I would guess that only Valanciunas, Bargnani and Calderon (and perhaps Kleiza, because of his contract) are sure things to be on the team next season.

The Raptors have lots of assets for the offseason:
                        - cap space
                        - Weems' RFA rights
                        - Bayless' RFA rights
                        - at least one of Amir/Davis (possibly both)
                        - possibly DeRozan (especially if a wing like MKG/Beal/Barnes is drafted)
                        - 2 2nd round picks

When you start slotting together various lineups for next season, adding draft picks and at least one free agent, you realize that the number game alone says that some moves need to be made. There simply won't be sufficient playing time available for all the 'depth' players on the roster, unless some big moves are made.
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

With all the assets that BC has at his disposal and the fact that he and Casey seem to prefer a fairly tight rotation, I can't shake the feeling that we are going to see a big move or two. At this point, I would guess that only Valanciunas, Bargnani and Calderon (and perhaps Kleiza, because of his contract) are sure things to be on the team next season.

The Raptors have lots of assets for the offseason:
                          - cap space
                          - Weems' RFA rights
                          - Bayless' RFA rights
                          - at least one of Amir/Davis (possibly both)
                          - possibly DeRozan (especially if a wing like MKG/Beal/Barnes is drafted)
                          - 2 2nd round picks

When you start slotting together various lineups for next season, adding draft picks and at least one free agent, you realize that the number game alone says that some moves need to be made. There simply won't be sufficient playing time available for all the 'depth' players on the roster, unless some big moves are made.
                          I agree with everything except who are sure things to be here next season.

I think JV and a 2012 lottery pick (not necessarily Toronto's) are the only sure things on the roster next year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I agree with everything except who are sure things to be here next season.

I think JV and a 2012 lottery pick (not necessarily Toronto's) are the only sure things on the roster next year.
                            I'd say not even the lottery pick is a sure thing; I could see BC trading the pick if we fall out of the top 5 (or so) for a lower 1st round pick and a veteran (with salary going back).

Comment

Maybe he won't be playing anywhere at the start of the season:

"Sonny Weems suffered a severely sprained left ankle while playing for Zalgiris Kaunas, a professional team in Lithuania.
                              Weems tweeted that Zalgiris is incapable of providing proper treatment for the injury."

http://www.talkbasket.net/6677-sonny...ania-pics.html

Grosse picture of his swollen ankle
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

next year we will be stacked like lays chips(couldn't find a better comparison)

Comment

Working...
                                X