Raptors 905 119, Greensboro Swarm 117 | Box Score
Assignees: Malachi Richardson (905)
Two-ways: Jordan Loyd (905), Joe Chealey, J.P. Macura (Swarm)
A combination of deals and call-ups this week left Raptors 905 lineup looking like a noticeably different team on Thursday night as they squeezed out a 119-117 win over Greensboro Swarm.
Out of the lineup was Deng Adel (two-way contract with Cleveland), Khadeem Lattin (traded away), and Chris Boucher (called up to Toronto), and into the lineup was Jordan Loyd (sent back from Toronto), Malachi Richardson (assigned), and Derek Cooke Jr. (newly acquired via trade).
Richardson would go on to score game-high 25 points and while grabbing 6 rebounds. Loyd recorded 22 points and Kyle Collinsworth added 20 points and 9 rebounds, as the 905 snap their 5-game losing streak and improve to a 15-11 record.
Jalen Barford scored a team-high 23 points off of the bench for Greensboro, and two-way players Joe Chealey and J.P. Macura chipped in 20 and 16 points, respectively.
Richardson was locked in from long-distance to start the game, converting all three of his 3-point attempts in the first quarter. He finished the first half strong, knocking down a pair of free throws with less than a minute remaining in the period and then assisting on a Collinsworth layup that cut into the Swarm lead that would sit at 70-64 heading into halftime.
Back-to-back 3-pointers by Christian Watford tied the game at 90 apiece with 1 minute 59 seconds left in the third quarter – part of a run that saw the 905 sink 6 3-pointers in the quarter to cut the deficit to 2 points heading into the last period of play.
Cat Barber reeled off 9 points in less than 4 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter to help the Swarm pull away with a 108-99 lead, but another sequence of back-to-back 3-pointers by Loyd and Duane Notice would help the 905 dig into the Greensboro lead once again.
Both teams traded baskets until the final minute of play, when Richardson was able to convert on a layup that would put the 905 ahead with 42.1 seconds remaining. The 905 would go on to force three turnovers in the final three Swarm possession, taking away any last chances for Greensboro to tie or win or the game.
- Two-Way 905 Player Notes
- Jordan Loyd was back with the 905 after dressing for two games with the NBA Raptors. Loyd was relatively quiet throughout the game but broke out in the 4th quarter where he scored 9 of his 22 points. Loyd was 8 of 19 from the field while also recording 7 assists and 6 rebounds.
- Chris Boucher exchanged spots with Loyd this evening as he was called up for Toronto’s matchup against Phoenix Suns.
- Assignment 905 Player Notes
- Malachi Richardson shot the ball well today as he knocked down 9 of his 15 attempts from the field. After starting the game 3 for 3 from long-range, he missed the last 5 attempts but was still able to be effective with his jump shots, drives and free throws.
- Other 905 Player Notes
- Deng Adel was signed to a two-way contract with Cleveland Cavaliers this past Monday. Adel had been averaging 13.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game for the 905 in 25 games this season.
- Derek Cooke Jr. was acquired by the 905 from Northern Arizona Suns in exchange for Khadeem Lattin and the returning rights to Yanick Moriera, the team announced this past Tuesday. Cooke Jr. had an immediate impact on a thin 905 front court tonight, scoring 7 points along with 10 rebounds and 3 steals. Before coming to the 905, Cooke Jr. played 20 games with the Suns this season, averaging 6.8 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game.
- Two-Way Swarm Player Notes
- Joe Chealey got off to a hot start, scoring 4 of his first 5 shot attempts in the first quarter. He would go on to finish with 20 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists. He has been averaging 16.0 points, 4.1 rebounds, 5.8 assists in 25 games with the Swarm coming into tonight’s game.
- J.P. Macura scored 16 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists tonight against the 905. Macura has been in and out of the Swarm lineup this month, having spent 3 games with the parent club Charlotte Hornets this January, but has yet to see any minutes.
- Admin Note
- For future home games, you can use the code REPUBLIC905 to get a discount on tickets.