Raptors 905 116, Austin Spurs 113 | Box Score
Assignees: Lonnie Walker IV, Chimezie Metu (Spurs)
Two-way: Jordan Loyd (905), Ben Moore, Drew Eubanks (Spurs)
Jordan Loyd and Wade Baldwin IV combined for 64 points as the 905 completed their three game road trip with a thrilling victory.
Centre Derek Cooke Jr. chipped in with a customary 16 points to go along with 14 rebounds, while Josh Adams added 15 points off of the bench.
Spurs assignment players Lonnie Walker IV and Chimezie Metu scored 22 and 15 points apiece.
The 905 took control early, racing to a 27-17 in the first quarter. However, Spurs two-way player Drew Eubanks almost recorded a double-double in the first half alone to drag the Spurs back to 48-48 at the break.
“It was a heck of a start,” said Mahlalela at half-time. “We just need to defend the rim better.”
The 905 did not heed their coaches advice as the Spurs continued to feast in the paint at will. The 905’s outside shooting kept them within touching distance, led by a couple of deep threes by Loyd. A nifty and-one by the two-way player nudged the 905 in front.
Baldwin IV and Amida Brimer exchanged blocks on one another which set the tone for an intense finish to the game. A few miraculous heaves by the Spurs almost led to a shocking comeback, but Derek Cooke Jr. re-established a three point lead with a late dunk. Travis Trice II missed a difficult shot at the buzzer that would have sent the game to overtime
The 905, particularly Loyd and Baldwin IV, were incredible in their late-game execution and delivered a clinical 14-0 run down the stretch. In their four games together, the starting backcourt have combined for an absurd 52.7 points per game.
- 905 Two-way notes
- Jordan Loyd had a quiet opening to the game, only scoring nine points in the first half. However, he began to catch fire and finished the game with 37 points on 4-6 shooting from deep. Loyd is so comfortable at this level and got whatever shot he wanted in the fourth quarter, even with Walker IV draped all over him.
- It was the eighth straight game that Loyd has scored twenty points or more.
- Other 905 player notes
- Wade Baldwin IV maintains his hot start in 905 colours. The point guard filled the stat sheet with 26 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, and a game-high 3 steals. Baldwin IV found himself in foul trouble throughout the contest, but managed to avoid a sixth foul that may have swung the contest. A cold step-back three was the highlight of his late game heroics.
- Josh Adams was a sparkplug off of the bench. Adams’ flurry of points in the fourth was crucial – he finished the evening with 15 points.
- Spurs Assignment notes
- Lonnie Walker IV was underwhelming on the night. The first-round draft pick is returning from a torn meniscus and still showed significant signs of rust.
- Incredibly exciting admin note
- The 905 return home on Monday night as they host the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Raptors Republic readers can get a discount on tickets using the code REPUBLIC905.