|Amir Johnson, PF 24 MIN | 6-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 0 STL | 1 BLK | 0 TO | 13 PTS | +10
Ran the lanes nicely in transition. Clutch hook in the post in crunch time in a tight game. Timely three to give the Raptors a bit of a cushion, but took 3 treys too many. Also put in a Bargnani-level effort on the boards. Better than his showing in the pre-season, but we expect more from him by this point.
|Rudy Gay, SF 34 MIN | 8-18 FG | 2-3 FT | 8 REB | 1 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 5 TO | 19 PTS | -1
Took a couple bad shots, but was totally clutch in the 4th quarter; I have full confidence in the guy with the ball when the game is on the line. Looks like the eye surgery helped (8-18). Would have been an ‘A+’ had it not been for the 5 turnovers.
|Jonas Valanciunas, C 31 MIN | 4-9 FG | 0-0 FT | 11 REB | 0 AST | 1 STL | 2 BLK | 3 TO | 8 PTS | +5
I counted three blocks, but he got credit for two. Bit rusty from the field, but he played very well on the defensive end and on the boards. This team can use much more of what this kid has to offer.
|Kyle Lowry, PG 35 MIN | 2-8 FG | 7-12 FT | 3 REB | 8 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 11 PTS | +2
Sloppy decision making in the 1st quarter, horrible from the field, mediocre from the line. Made up for it by distributing the ball well, but if the finger is hurting, than rehab it, dude.
|DeMar DeRozan, SG 40 MIN | 6-19 FG | 0-2 FT | 2 REB | 2 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 5 TO | 13 PTS | +6
Brutal 40 minutes of action. He missed as many shots (13) as he scored points (13). Forced a lot of bad shots in iso, was invisible on defense, didn’t crash the boards…brutal.
|Tyler Hansbrough, PF 25 MIN | 3-4 FG | 1-2 FT | 12 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 3 BLK | 0 TO | 7 PTS | -3
Player of the game. Willed the team to the win in the 4th when no one else on the floor wearing a white jersey was hustling. You wont get creativity or pretty out of him, but fundamentals and effort are solid. We’ve needed a guy like this since Reggie Evans was here.
|Landry Fields, SF 18 MIN | 4-7 FG | 0-1 FT | 6 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 8 PTS | +2
Moved very well without the ball: getting to open spots on the floor, or running down the ball.
|Steve Novak, SF 7 MIN | 1-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 3 PTS | +4
Hit an open three from the corner off Augustins penetration and dish. That’s it; dude did his job tonight. Nice change from his predecessor.
|D.J. Augustin, PG 13 MIN | 2-7 FG | 1-1 FT | 0 REB | 2 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 5 PTS | +4
Stat line didn’t show it, but he did a solid job of running point off the bench. Truth be told, I preferred him to Lowry tonight.
|Terrence Ross, SG 12 MIN | 2-3 FG | 1-2 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 2 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 6 PTS | +1
Doesn’t bode well for you when you only log 12 minutes against the Celtics on a night where DeRozan had a brutal game. That’s all I’m saying.
Raptors won in spite of his coaching. Had it not been for that TV timeout in the third, the game may have slipped away. Didn’t call any offensive sets in the 4th and was totally out coached by Stevens in his NBA debut. The only right decision he made was to ride Hansbrough as long as possible in the 4th.
Five Things We Saw
- Casey picked up where he left off from last season with respect to not calling timeouts in a timely fashion. I don’t get it, when you’re up by 16, and the opposition starts to make a run, you call a quick timeout. If they continue after the timeout, call another. It’s not like you are ever going to use them up when you savour them like you do. This game was closer than it needed to be.
- 17 – 15 … turnovers to assists; that was the Raptors tonight.
- The 3rd and 4th saw a lot of iso 1-on-1s and jumpers, and very little actual set plays. You wonder how the Raptors gave up a 16 point lead in the 3rd?
- Raptors won this game on the glass, straight up. They pulled down 19 offensive rebounds, scoring 18 points of them. Jonas and Hansbrough are going to be a handful for teams this year. Very tough to keep under wraps.
- Great to start the season with a win. Raptors earned a hard fought victory over a very well coached, and disciplined team that is short on talent.
- Stripes is in the house
- Morning Coffee: Halloween Edition